Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kyooch
Huh? According to all other evo owners too. That's what almost all results have shown. Who's disagreeing here?
Well, seeing as how I don't own an X I wasn't going to act like I know first hand how they respond to mods. That wasn't meant to say I don't believe them. I haven't done a bunch of research on modding an X, but yeah I've heard the first 100whp is easy, like almost tune and filter easy. I just don't really know the whole recipe or entire cost.

So no. I'm not disagreeing with the X's abilities. Which is why I brought it up to show that Amby didn't know what he was talking about to begin with.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:16 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This isn't a IX vs. X thread. There's a sticky for that if you guys want to continue that discussion. Otherwise, let's keep it between 2008+STI and 2008+Evo X. I just don't want this to get derailed into that rabbit hole. Thanks guys
Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:55 PM
EvoM Community Team

I will say this. While the Evo X can gain more power with only a few bolt-ons, the STI still weighs ~180-200lbs less. So, the Evo X has to make more power just to play along.

Old Feb 25, 2010, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by atombomb33
I will say this. While the Evo X can gain more power with only a few bolt-ons, the STI still weighs ~180-200lbs less. So, the Evo X has to make more power just to play along.

For straight line yes, but throw turns in there and even stock weighing more and making less power it beats it around a track. (X > STI for performance and looks) (STI > X for interior)
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33

GET BACK IN YER CAGE, BOY!

I'll still take that bet in spite of the weight handicap. The power difference and shape of the curve will win out. We need some dragstrip comparison fun up in here.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Well, we are all aware that a bolt-on properly tuned X can do low 12's in the quarter on stock cams. Are STI's hitting these numnbers?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
FWIW, we were having a technical discussion. Relax, you'll never get "mod flack" from me for having a different opinion.

No, I said the STI wouldn't gain 100whp with exhaust + tune like an X will. I didn't throw your link aside at all, since it kinda proves my point.

Its easier to concede than find an STI that made 100whp with exhaust and tuning, isn't it?
Who said I was conceding? Frankly I'm going to take the "opinions" of top level tuners like AMS, Buschur, Cobb, Cosworth, APS, etc. as well as the personal experiences of the dozens of Subaru owners I know over what some internet gurus say. This thread offers no benefit to me, I'm the sole Subaru owner in here and it was undeniably going to get ugly fast. There's zero point in trying to defend Subaru on a Mitsubishi site.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Who said I was conceding? Frankly I'm going to take the "opinions" of top level tuners like AMS, Buschur, Cobb, Cosworth, APS, etc. as well as the personal experiences of the dozens of Subaru owners I know over what some internet gurus say. This thread offers no benefit to me, I'm the sole Subaru owner in here and it was undeniably going to get ugly fast. There's zero point in trying to defend Subaru on a Mitsubishi site.
I don't think it is pointless...the subaru still has a lot going for it. I dog on it for being a little ugly, but in person it looks decent, I just liked the older style a lot better.

It is still a great car, it's just that one of the cars had to be better performance wise and that is what most of us are concerned with here. If I wanted something that had a little more style, i would have gone subaru, because frankly their interior is a lot nicer. The boxster exhaust note is also sexy despite what people say. And also despite what people say around the track it is an awesome car and great for modding just like the evo. I think the evo is better sure, doesn't mean we can't give props to the STI.

Both cars still spank cars twice the price with a tune and a few bolt ons
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Well, look who's back.

Frankly I'm going to take the "opinions" of top level tuners like AMS, Buschur, Cobb, Cosworth, APS, etc. as well as the personal experiences of the dozens of Subaru owners I know over what some internet gurus say.
But you heaven't shown any proof. Your links are about older cars. So shoe us where top level tuners have said the current STi is dollar to hp better to mod for the first 100whp then the X.

This thread offers no benefit to me, I'm the sole Subaru owner in here and it was undeniably going to get ugly fast. There's zero point in trying to defend Subaru on a Mitsubishi site.
There's no point to try to pull claims out of thin air that you can't back up; making pie in the sky claims that have no basis in reality - on any car site, no matter what you own. You got called out, you got busted. Plain and simple.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Well, look who's back.

But you heaven't shown any proof. Your links are about older cars. So shoe us where top level tuners have said the current STi is dollar to hp better to mod for the first 100whp then the X.

There's no point to try to pull claims out of thin air that you can't back up; making pie in the sky claims that have no basis in reality - on any car site, no matter what you own. You got called out, you got busted. Plain and simple.
You and I both know it's pointless. People can go and read the 10000 other threads on this topic or go over to NASIOC and do their own research.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

You and I both know it's pointless. People can go and read the 10000 other threads on this topic or go over to NASIOC and do their own research.
That doesn't work, and you know it. We're not on NASIOC. You don't get to make false claims and say "go Google it" The burden of proof is on you because the consensus here is that the X is superior to the current STi in basic bolt on cheap horsepower value.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
That doesn't work, and you know it. We're not on NASIOC. You don't get to make false claims and say "go Google it" The burden of proof is on you because the consensus here is that the X is superior to the current STi in basic bolt on cheap horsepower value.
Go google it.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Nah. Its much more entertaining staying here and watching you get owned.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Yep, you got me, I got "owned"by the Subaru gurus of Evom . I guess I'll have to call some tuners and tell them how crappy Subarus are.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:08 PM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dog on it for being a little ugly, but in person it looks decent, I just liked the older style a lot better.
I was dying to buy a STI until they changed the body style. I've always liked hatches, but I just can't get over the way that thing looks, particularly compared to the previous style. I suppose in a vacuum, I wouldn't dislike it so much, but I can't help but compare it to the past.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread