Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, you can tune out engine problems, but you cant tune out transmission problems
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 244 Likes on 220 Posts
i love the current gen sti.. just wish it came with the jdm 2.0
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atombomb33
I will say this. While the Evo X can gain more power with only a few bolt-ons, the STI still weighs ~180-200lbs less. So, the Evo X has to make more power just to play along.

^ This. Thats the main thing I notice with my evo. It "feels" bigger and heavier. I was hoping i wouldn't notice it, but its not really all that bad and its much better than the subie in terms of handling.. At least stock for stock.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 03:55 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Who said I was conceding? Frankly I'm going to take the "opinions" of top level tuners like AMS, Buschur, Cobb, Cosworth, APS, etc. as well as the personal experiences of the dozens of Subaru owners I know over what some internet gurus say. This thread offers no benefit to me, I'm the sole Subaru owner in here and it was undeniably going to get ugly fast. There's zero point in trying to defend Subaru on a Mitsubishi site.
Hey, I'm glad you came back.
My main point in the light mod discussion was that the Subaru turbo is smaller and has less potential. Its not like you can't upgrade the turbo.

You make a good point with modding a WRX too. Its a whole lot less expensive, and you could get it far along for less overall investment.

If there was no Evo in the states, I would probably have an 08+ STI wagon. I just don't have the money to build one like I would like.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 05:28 PM

if you want good quality build cars, the 1st thing comes up in my mind is Toyota, then honda.

just look at the road 2day, cars thats from the 80's that are still driving are either toyota or honda.

not saying that Mits's or Sub's are not quality build, sometime is all depands on the owner.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:05 PM

Amby, check out the post by Airboy on WSC concerning the Evo tuning he did for us this week... Its absolutely amazing the gains I made with just a $170 test pipe and NO OTHER MODS. I'm easily above what my VF52 swapped WRX made, already.

If you ever wanna take my MR for a spin just shoot me a PM and we'll go for a rip.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I may have to take you up on that offer Craig, looks like the gains are right on par with a stage 2 STI.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize

GET BACK IN YER CAGE, BOY!

I'll still take that bet in spite of the weight handicap. The power difference and shape of the curve will win out. We need some dragstrip comparison fun up in here.
Seth, "the bomb" has a point here. The STI and X went head to head with the Stig driving both on Top Gear's track and the STI was faster. Yes, they both were bone stock so a little off of topic/relevance. That said, the results were probably the result of the weight differential.

Later, Ken
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by KPerez
Seth, "the bomb" has a point here. The STI and X went head to head with the Stig driving both on Top Gear's track and the STI was faster. Yes, they both were bone stock so a little off of topic/relevance. That said, the results were probably the result of the weight differential.

Later, Ken
But didn't they choose the X over the STI in just about every other aspect?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cyni
Amby, check out the post by Airboy on WSC concerning the Evo tuning he did for us this week... Its absolutely amazing the gains I made with just a $170 test pipe and NO OTHER MODS. I'm easily above what my VF52 swapped WRX made, already.

If you ever wanna take my MR for a spin just shoot me a PM and we'll go for a rip.
Yeah even just a retune on my X (just a stage 1 flash) got me past where my VF52 08 WRX was (and the VF52 was far from the only thing I did to that car)...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...wrx-evo-x.html

I won't bore you with all the details but that's what I came from, and the only I really miss are folding seats haha...
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:42 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

Later, Ken
Ken, we don't have the SST GSR in the states, but I would expect it to lose around a racetrack to the probably 250 pound lighter STI where both cars are launched at the start.

The point we were contesting is comparable upgradability costs for a 100whp gain.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Later, Ken
STI did a 128.2 and the EVO did a 128.22... with more weight.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by slim8605
STI did a 128.2 and the EVO did a 128.22... with more weight.
Don't they used the FQ-300?
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kamote24
No, the car driven by the Stig was bone stock while the X shown earlier was the FQ-300. Jeremy could not accept the results, LOL.

Later, Ken

Last edited by KPerez; Feb 26, 2010 at 07:58 AM.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kamote24
Yea it was.

Is there a difference between the FQ-300 and a U.S. GSR other than it being rated at 300hp?

No, the car driven by the Stig was bone stock while the X shown earlier was the FQ. Jeromy could not accept the results, LOL.

Later, Ken
Earlier they tested the FQ-360 but for the timed laps he said they used the 300hp version.

Last edited by slim8605; Feb 26, 2010 at 07:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread