Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gotta get me a copy.

i found this site http://www.motoiq.com/home.aspx

it looks like most of the original guys from Sports Compact Car have started a online mag.
really cool stuff like the good ol days.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

I got the issue in the mail 2 weeks ago and it is a good one, the chick in it is really hot too.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ZEKE010
gotta get me a copy.

i found this site http://www.motoiq.com/home.aspx

it looks like most of the original guys from Sports Compact Car have started a online mag.
really cool stuff like the good ol days.
What does this have to do with anything?
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Clark_Kent
What does this have to do with anything?

has good tech and articles. lots of interesting stuff some not but mostly interesting.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:26 AM

Test drove 2010 Evo X MR & 2008 WRX STi Yesterday...

For reference, I currently drive an 05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, previous cars owned: (2) RSX Type-S's, 05 Dodge SRT-4, 97 240sx, 99 SVT Contour.

I test drove both a brand new 2010 Evo X MR and a used 2008 WRX STi yesterday. I really wanted to drive a GSR 5 speed Evo X but they sold the one they had before I got there and they only had MR's in stock.

In any event, I really enjoyed driving both of these cars. I drove the Evo X MR first, the car handles amazing and the steering is tight. The bremo's are awesome and I loved the recaro seats, very snug. The trunk is extremely TINY, which would totally suck for having to haul stuff, even groceries. The ride was a bit harsh in comparison to the STi. Both cars felt very quick, but to me, the STi felt quicker.

The power band seemed to be more linear and the STi had less turbo lag. The STi didn't handle as well as the Evo, but it still handled well. The brakes too, were not as good as the Evo but again, weren't far behind at all. The steering isn't as tight but again, it's not enough of a difference to be a deal breaker for me.

I liked the clutch in the STi and the gear shifts were smooth. The stock throw is bit long and could use a short shifter but it was still incredibly fun to drive. The STi's hatch offers WAY more cargo space than the Evo X trunk and with the seats folded down, the car can haul just about anything in my apartment. I also liked the rear visibility better in the STi.

It'd be tough to make a choice between the 2 without driving the GSR, but if I had to choose between the STi and the Evo X MR, it would be the STi because I really like the versatility of the hatchback, interior fit and finish is much better, 6 speed tranny, overall performance is not that far behind the Evo X and I like the power band better in the STi.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

cools, thanks for the review.....

where abouts in maine are u????
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

In Colorado, everyone and their hippie parents drive a Subaru. It's what keeps me from buying one. There's nothing unique about them, at all. I see the STi EVERYWHERE, and every time I do I'm reminded how seriously ugly that hatchback is.

The trunk may be small, but I've found it's more than sufficient for everything. Including a ton of groceries. Or 2 golf club bags. It just doesn't fit really large items. For that, I have a truck, so I don't really care. I don't put much in the trunk anyway, because it just shifts around too much. It's better on the floor in the back seat.

I like having a car that I don't see on every other street corner.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Webman

I see the STi EVERYWHERE, and every time I do I'm reminded how seriously ugly that hatchback is.
I totally agree. The redesign for the 2008 STI is a "Fail" in my book.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Neat. My wife drives a Subaru...enough said
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:51 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DarwinX
I totally agree. The redesign for the 2008 STI is a "Fail" in my book.
I agree as well..... In Maine it seems everybody has a subi for some reason or another, that's one reason that kept me from looking into one, also the redesign is not my fav...
Old Jul 9, 2010, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by quiCk paW 07
For reference, I currently drive an 05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, previous cars owned: (2) RSX Type-S's, 05 Dodge SRT-4, 97 240sx, 99 SVT Contour.

I test drove both a brand new 2010 Evo X MR and a used 2008 WRX STi yesterday. I really wanted to drive a GSR 5 speed Evo X but they sold the one they had before I got there and they only had MR's in stock.

In any event, I really enjoyed driving both of these cars. I drove the Evo X MR first, the car handles amazing and the steering is tight. The bremo's are awesome and I loved the recaro seats, very snug. The trunk is extremely TINY, which would totally suck for having to haul stuff, even groceries. The ride was a bit harsh in comparison to the STi. Both cars felt very quick, but to me, the STi felt quicker.

The power band seemed to be more linear and the STi had less turbo lag. The STi didn't handle as well as the Evo, but it still handled well. The brakes too, were not as good as the Evo but again, weren't far behind at all. The steering isn't as tight but again, it's not enough of a difference to be a deal breaker for me.

I liked the clutch in the STi and the gear shifts were smooth. The stock throw is bit long and could use a short shifter but it was still incredibly fun to drive. The STi's hatch offers WAY more cargo space than the Evo X trunk and with the seats folded down, the car can haul just about anything in my apartment. I also liked the rear visibility better in the STi.

It'd be tough to make a choice between the 2 without driving the GSR, but if I had to choose between the STi and the Evo X MR, it would be the STi because I really like the versatility of the hatchback, interior fit and finish is much better, 6 speed tranny, overall performance is not that far behind the Evo X and I like the power band better in the STi.
Who cares about space if you have a tacoma?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by jasserv
cools, thanks for the review.....

where abouts in maine are u????
I live in Westbrook, where you from?
Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Drew_FL
Who cares about space if you have a tacoma?
If I were to buy one of these cars, the X-Runner would get traded in on it and it would be my only car.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:13 AM

cant go wrong with either, the problem with the whole evo vs. sti thing is that if you choose one over the other is because the one you chose is a better car, and that is not right, you chose one over the other because it suits you better and according to you it has better styling and what not. if you feel good with the sti, get it. but drive a gsr before, you may end up not knowing what you missed.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 11:30 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
All things being equal, I'd buy the STi, as well. Unfortunately, all things aren't equal and the STi's motor is presenting some issues. To be perfectly honest, neither car is terribly appealing. If i were shopping for a new sporting car right now, I'd be considering the 370z, a MCS, a GTI, a Mustang....

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread