Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2010, 05:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems that your more geared for the Subie, go with what suites your lifestyle and budget. I baught the Evo cause like the other guy.. i was impatient. Then i hear there releasing the 2011 sti's in sedan form again.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with minor tuning your evo could kick the STi any day. i still agree with you about interior quality though. mitsu needs to ****ing work on that... the touring though is a bit nicer .... but still that costs a **** ton
Old Jul 9, 2010, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Did a test drive of both my self yesterday and here's my take.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/8474815-post101.html

Originally Posted by Yoo Shin
Finally test drove an X GSR and MR today while out of town on business, and test drove a 2010 STI afterwards. Both dealers allowed for an thorough test drive of each, and I can easily say that the X is by far superior to the STI. I'm a bit sad by by this asessement, as I love Subarus, and actually prefer the looks of the STI, but the Evo X just did everything right and the STI did everything wrong. The STI had plenty of "personality" with neat styling bits inside and outside, but the X was so focused and sharp.

Pushing the X, the X was direct and asking for more.

Pushing the STI, the STI was vague and questioning itself.

IMO the MS3 is a better feeling car than the STI, thought it doesn't have it's AWD "grip", while the Evo is the MS3 + AWD x 3.

What I've learned here is that both test drives and road tests are important. I knew exactly what to look for and what to focus on with the Evo, STI, and MS3 based on the many road tests, but it's ultimately takes the actual experience of each to confirm the findings or to understand why/what conclusion was reach.

For instance, the highway "drone" or "buzz" at 70-80 mph isnt anywhere near as bad as I've thought. It's no where near the booming dive bombing Cesna sounds of my ol Stage II WRXs and is only slightly louder then my stock MS3. The STI produces a good amount of it's own harmonics at those speeds and rpms.

Interior of the STI is neat with it's logos, colors and emblems, but isn't any better in actual material and fit. The MS3 seems busy by comparison. The seats actually fit me nice and worked well in the 30 min test drive (yeah 30 solid min in each the GSR and 30 in the MR), but did like how the MR's seats allowed a little more give for my torso and thighs especially given that I'm 6'2 and 205lbs. The STI's wheel telescopes and the seat goes up/down but in the Evo, those function are simply not needed with the natural driving position it puts you in.

So, now I'm shopping Evo Xs but since I love Subaru STIs so much, I'll be also looking for late model (06-07) GDs to drive to see if it's a Subaru STI I could love and live with.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Have you tried working on a subaru motor? Jeebus ... Outside of a TBE (which is easy on both cars) - BOth the 4g63 and the 4b11 in the Evo 8,9 and X are tremendously leaps and bounds easy to work on...

I mean try changing your own sparkplugs on the Subbie ...
Old Jul 10, 2010, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by quiCk paW 07
Dude..

first of all, anybody can buy any car for any reason, or no reason at all.

Second of all, I have a GF, of whom has a 5 year old daughter and we like to go places and do fun things and typically we have to bring stuff with us. We could not do this with the Evo X's trunk. We could bring plenty of stuff along in the STi for sure. So yeah a lot of you may buy the car for the all out performance and not care about space, but there are people who would like performance but still be able to haul stuff around and go on trips, etc. without having to buy a Toyota Rav4 or minivan.
You don't have to get upset, what did you expect from this thread? Your going to hear opinions you don't like, with that said my girl has a seven year old daughter and we've gone to sesame place, ikea, pokonos etc in the Evo. Space has not been that much of an issue, get the hotter car and get a bike rack, I love my Evo to death and made the right choice ( I was going to get a 335) love my Evo man. But may be you should look at the outlander sport coming out.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evofan_08
You don't have to get upset, what did you expect from this thread? Your going to hear opinions you don't like, with that said my girl has a seven year old daughter and we've gone to sesame place, ikea, pokonos etc in the Evo. Space has not been that much of an issue, get the hotter car and get a bike rack, I love my Evo to death and made the right choice ( I was going to get a 335) love my Evo man. But may be you should look at the outlander sport coming out.
LOL, i went to Sesame Place my first year with my X.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evofan_08
I was going to get a 335 too but changed my mine after test drove my MR!!! I guess I am not alone!!!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 11:57 PM
Evolving Member

Everyone has their own reasons for the car they choose. I don't think you can really go wrong with the STI. A while back I really wanted the S2000 and I really didn't want to own more than one car so for me, it was just too impractical.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:31 PM

OP, thanks for the honest review, whether it pleased this board or not!
Old Jul 11, 2010, 01:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
All things being equal, I'd buy the STi, as well. Unfortunately, all things aren't equal and the STi's motor is presenting some issues. To be perfectly honest, neither car is terribly appealing. If i were shopping for a new sporting car right now, I'd be considering the 370z, a MCS, a GTI, a Mustang....
Ditto
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dericchan1
I was going to get a 335 too but changed my mine after test drove my MR!!! I guess I am not alone!!!
+ 1 more. I had a 330i and was all set on getting a 335i. Drove both cars (Evo and 335) and you can see which one I picked. I left my 335 test drive (I actually had one for the weekend while my 330 was being serviced) feeling the same way I did before the test drive. After the EVO MR test drive I felt excited and was thinking about the car all the time. 335's are nice but boring.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by FJF
If i were shopping for a new sporting car right now, I'd be considering the 370z, a MCS, a GTI, a Mustang....
If I were in the market for a sporting car today the cars you listed wouldn't even be on my list at all.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:15 PM
Evolving Member

mustang, 370z, and sti were at the top of my list until i drove the evo

edit: 2011 mustang that is, not the ****ty 2010's 5.0ftw
Old Jul 11, 2010, 05:20 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by quiCk paW 07
Not sure where you're looking up pricing, perhaps you're building an STi with every accessory possible, and the Evo X with none, but if you build a GSR with SSS on Mitsubishi's web site it's like $36k, which is about the same as the STi.

The 2010 STi Special Edition is $32,900 MSRP, which has beefier suspension than the regular STi's, deletes HIDs, replaces the 10 speaker system with a standard 4, replaces dual climate control with regular A/C knobs and removes the turn signals from the side mirrors.
GSR with SSS is under 32K @ SouthCoast.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread