Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn sti's understeer badly.

i wouldnt call that real drifting either.
Old May 29, 2009, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading in my 2006 STI + cash for an EVO X MR?

So I've been thinking alot lately and I've been wanting to trade in my 2006 STI + cash for an EVO X MR, im just worried about the reliability on the EVO X, are they any good? I know nothing about EVO so I'm new to this world.

I got 48 000 miles on my STI and so far ive had zero problems with it, bulletproof transmission and no turboproblems whatsoever.

I've heard that the EVO 9 MR transmissions are weak, how are the EVO X MR transmissions?

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks
Old May 29, 2009, 10:32 AM

if your gonna mod it then yes the tranny is weak but stock wise it will be great, why r u going auto after driving a 6 speed sti?, and all the problems u can come by warranty will fix, nothing serious out yet
Old May 29, 2009, 10:43 AM

i came from the STi as well. I am actually really pleased with the Evo X. As for the MR goes. If you want a high HP monster, its going to cost you because you are going to have to upgrade the clutch and SST oil cooler. I have driven an MR its really nice, nice creature comforts and the shifting is very responsive. Its just not for me, i have more fun with my 5speed manual. but to each there own. to my knowledge there hasnt been many problems. unless you get a factory dud but like chopstixx said, your warrenty will cover it.

hope that helps, good luck. make sure to check out South Coast Mitsubishi. 0% for 60mnths is great
Old May 29, 2009, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by chopstixx
if your gonna mod it then yes the tranny is weak but stock wise it will be great, why r u going auto after driving a 6 speed sti?, and all the problems u can come by warranty will fix, nothing serious out yet
Oh ok, yerah i wont to any serious modifications for a while so I'm just going to get coliovers, wheels and exhaust. But as for the change of cars, Im the only owner of my STI and I'm just looking to get something different now but I dont want to leave the AWD world so I'm wanting to try out an EVO so thats why.

Thanks for your input!
Old May 29, 2009, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by storm_trooper
i came from the STi as well. I am actually really pleased with the Evo X. As for the MR goes. If you want a high HP monster, its going to cost you because you are going to have to upgrade the clutch and SST oil cooler. I have driven an MR its really nice, nice creature comforts and the shifting is very responsive. Its just not for me, i have more fun with my 5speed manual. but to each there own. to my knowledge there hasnt been many problems. unless you get a factory dud but like chopstixx said, your warrenty will cover it.

hope that helps, good luck. make sure to check out South Coast Mitsubishi. 0% for 60mnths is great
Thank you for great info. O I did not know that, how are you EVO X compared to you STI? I might get a the regular EVO X as well, I like those to
Old May 29, 2009, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

your gonna have a hard time getting someone to trade you a brand new car for an 06 with 48,000 miles.Do you know how much an evox mr coost from the dealer? there alot
Old May 29, 2009, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by evorider1
So I've been thinking alot lately and I've been wanting to trade in my 2006 STI + cash for an EVO X MR, im just worried about the reliability on the EVO X, are they any good? I know nothing about EVO so I'm new to this world.

I got 48 000 miles on my STI and so far ive had zero problems with it, bulletproof transmission and no turboproblems whatsoever.

I've heard that the EVO 9 MR transmissions are weak, how are the EVO X MR transmissions?

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks
I used to have a 05 STi. IMO keep your car. The evo is slower straight line, and the STi's tranny is alot more driver involved than my MR dual clutch tranny. If your looking for a more relaxed/laid back car get a evo MR, they rock around town and just about anywhere really, just dosnt feel as fast in a straight line as my old STi. Even my old MS3 felt faster! The MR is very stable at high speeds, unlike my MS3, I would say even more stable than my old STi.

If you want a track/race car keep your STi, if you want another quick car that can be driven like a normal car when you want it go for the MR!
Old May 29, 2009, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scumrat
your gonna have a hard time getting someone to trade you a brand new car for an 06 with 48,000 miles.Do you know how much an evox mr coost from the dealer? there alot
That's why he said STi + cash.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

BlueBlur if he wants a track car get a GSR, I havent looked back since I traded in my 06 STI. This car handles MUCH better than the STI did "stock". Plus it is incredible easy to mod performance wise.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:47 AM

I'm in a similar boat right now. I have a 20G powered STI and while I love it to death, I'm bored with it and want a new car. Problem is I sold most my stock parts so I would have to sell my STI privately. I own my STI outright so Id hope to get at least 20k for it and finance the rest.

I'm on the fence really of buying and selling right now. I'm terrified to drive the Evo X because if I like it I will buy it.
Old May 29, 2009, 11:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KruxRedline

I'm on the fence really of buying and selling right now. I'm terrified to drive the Evo X because if I like it I will buy it.
Take it from me, don't drive one. I wasn't ready to get an EVO X but one test drive with the MR and I was signing the documents.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by heavyD
Take it from me, don't drive one. I wasn't ready to get an EVO X but one test drive with the MR and I was signing the documents.
What kind of car did you come from though? My STI is considerable faster then a stock Evo so I'm kind of afraid I would be a bit underwhelmed like I was with my M3 test drive.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by KruxRedline
What kind of car did you come from though? My STI is considerable faster then a stock Evo so I'm kind of afraid I would be a bit underwhelmed like I was with my M3 test drive.
If you car is modified, then you may be underwhelmed with anything. If I had that perspective when I drove my Z to test drive anything, I would always be "underwhelmed". Take it for what it is, a stock Evo. Just like your car, a few bolt ons mean some big gains...

Last edited by 300zxsteve; May 29, 2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evorider1

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks
So many "on the fence" threads. Do it, and don't look back. Though I would get a GSR instead of an MR, unless you REALLY want the auto. I drove two GSRs and an MR and the GSRs were much better. My Evo VIII was super reliable even with the mods and the tracking. Mitsu's warranty coverage was a bit lacking, but I've heard people say it has gotten better... The X MR tranny problems are different from the 9 MRs (since the 9s were still manual) if you are planning on upping the power a lot I would stay away from the X MR as, like someone else said, you'd have to upgrade the tranny to handle it.

Go test drive one, you'll probably be hooked. I assume something with the GR STis causes you to go for the X, so there's no reason to look at them and compare like I had.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread