Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double post.

Last edited by until240; Jul 13, 2010 at 09:17 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by FJF
Check out a '11 with a Brembo package. The Shelby is a pig.

Don't get me wrong; it's not as if the thing represent the pinnacle of automotive achievement. It's just more fun.
QFT. Don't underestimate the new Mustang. It's no track monster, but it's leap years ahead of the previous generation. And 31mpg from a V6! Crazy. Especially coming from Ford.

Originally Posted by quiCk paW 07
Dude..

first of all, anybody can buy any car for any reason, or no reason at all.

Second of all, I have a GF, of whom has a 5 year old daughter and we like to go places and do fun things and typically we have to bring stuff with us. We could not do this with the Evo X's trunk. We could bring plenty of stuff along in the STi for sure. So yeah a lot of you may buy the car for the all out performance and not care about space, but there are people who would like performance but still be able to haul stuff around and go on trips, etc. without having to buy a Toyota Rav4 or minivan.
Don't you guys ever learn? You come to an Evo forum trying to get advice between an Evo and STi...what you expect. People hang out here because they like their cars, and this is a place to talk to other people who like the same car.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 11:30 PM
Evolving Member

Given the STI's engine troubles i'd stay away from it until they get it sorted out. Maybe go in a completely different direction all together if you need more cargo space. No one wants to be replacing a blown motor on a practically brand new car. F@&k mustangs, even the 2011! Every redneck in the world has one!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by until240
QFT. Don't underestimate the new Mustang. I've never liked muscle cars, but the new 2011 Mustangs are a completely different animal. I actually kinda want one.

And to the OP, don't you guys ever learn? You come to an Evo forum trying to get advice between and Evo and STi...what you expect. People hang out here because they like their cars, and this is a place to talk to other people who like the same car.

Don't get too butthurt.

I'm not expecting to come on here and have all the Evo guys tell me to buy the STi, of course that's not going to happen on this forum. But when people start saying things like "oh you don't buy a car for x reason", it's just ignorant and stupid because like I said, anybody can buy anything for any reason. I'm not getting butthurt, just simply saying that yeah maybe A lot of people aren't looking at either of these cars and caring about space, practicality, etc.. but some of us do and there's nothing wrong with it.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 09:57 AM

the sti is fugly. ford focus styling.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For reference, I currently drive an 05 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner, previous cars owned: (2) RSX Type-S's, 05 Dodge SRT-4, 97 240sx, 99 SVT Contour.

I test drove both a brand new 2010 Evo X MR and a used 2008 WRX STi yesterday. I really wanted to drive a GSR 5 speed Evo X but they sold the one they had before I got there and they only had MR's in stock.

In any event, I really enjoyed driving both of these cars. I drove the Evo X MR first, the car handles amazing and the steering is tight. The bremo's are awesome and I loved the recaro seats, very snug. The trunk is extremely TINY, which would totally suck for having to haul stuff, even groceries. The ride was a bit harsh in comparison to the STi. Both cars felt very quick, but to me, the STi felt quicker.

The power band seemed to be more linear and the STi had less turbo lag. The STi didn't handle as well as the Evo, but it still handled well. The brakes too, were not as good as the Evo but again, weren't far behind at all. The steering isn't as tight but again, it's not enough of a difference to be a deal breaker for me.

I liked the clutch in the STi and the gear shifts were smooth. The stock throw is bit long and could use a short shifter but it was still incredibly fun to drive. The STi's hatch offers WAY more cargo space than the Evo X trunk and with the seats folded down, the car can haul just about anything in my apartment. I also liked the rear visibility better in the STi.

It'd be tough to make a choice between the 2 without driving the GSR, but if I had to choose between the STi and the Evo X MR, it would be the STi because I really like the versatility of the hatchback, interior fit and finish is much better, 6 speed tranny, overall performance is not that far behind the Evo X and I like the power band better in the STi.
For the most part... I agree with what you said. The STi is more of a daily driver than the EVO X. The STi has more cargo room due to the hatchback... the suspension is softer... the seats are wider and thus more comfortable to "fat people"... and the interior materials are better. The STi also seemed to have more torque down-low... but I guess that's understandable since it has a larger engine.

But when it comes to driving experience... the EVO wins hands down. While the STi is good... the EVO is just better. The suspension on the STi is too soft... the steering is too loose... and it handles really sloppy. The brakes didn't grab as hard... and the seats were too flat for aggressive driving. I bought my car to drive... and thus the driving experience alone would make me not buy an STi.

The downsides the EVO have are too small to make me overlook the car. The suspension may be firmer... but with the stock Bilstein/Eibachs they are still very comfortable. As for the Recaro seats... I like the fact that they hug you more... and they are still very comfortable. I had even girls tell me they felt really comfortable in the seats... so it's not just for "racers". The trunk may be smaller than the STi... but even tho I use my EVO as a daily driver... I can't really say I ever had problems carrying stuff. If something is REALLY large... I'll just put it in the back seat. While the STi may have a higher quality interior... I'm honestly perfectly fine with the EVO interior with the NAVI screen.

It all comes down to personal preference... and for me... the EVO X with it's amazing driving experience was the car for me. If your priorities are more for comfy suspensions and the ability to haul a bunch of crap... then maybe the STi is for you.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 11:55 AM
Evolved Member

I'm not expecting to come on here and have all the Evo guys tell me to buy the STi, of course that's not going to happen on this forum. But when people start saying things like "oh you don't buy a car for x reason", it's just ignorant and stupid because like I said, anybody can buy anything for any reason. I'm not getting butthurt, just simply saying that yeah maybe A lot of people aren't looking at either of these cars and caring about space, practicality, etc.. but some of us do and there's nothing wrong with it.
You should always get the car that suits you best but if the EVO is to be your only car and you haul stuff around a lot, right away you should know it's not for you. In fact if you just want something reletively sporty with utility you should really be looking at regular WRX and Ralliart sportbacks as they are the best choice for most.

The EVO and lesser extent STI are track cars for sale to the public so it's annoying to hear people denounce the EVO for its firm ride or small trunk. The car wasn't intended to be a grocery getter or they would have forgone the F/R weight bias, thrown the battery and washer fluid reservior in the front and called it a day. IMO they should be praised for making the F/R weight as balanced as possible. Anyone that whines that they can't fit a TV or use their EVO for a hauler needs to STFU, buy a hatchback and stop posting on EVO forums because this car wasn't made for you.

Now as for the cars, the STI is a nice car (almost bought a 2009) and there's really no difference in quality between each car as they both rattle bad and have crappy paint so really the only things to differentiat them is styling and performance. I actually don't mind the styling of the STI hatch but also like the EVO's angry look. In the end I just found the whole experience of the STI to be on the soft side. Non-supportive seats, way too much body roll, and disconnected steering. The EVO just put more of a smile on my face after driving them back to back. It felt so much sharper that I felt why buy a car that I would have to mod in hopes of feeling this good?

In the end the STI to me is the boy racer car for the guy that want's to look like a racer with scoops, bulging fenders, pink STI logos all over, but actually doesn't want to deal with the harshness of the real thing. Even though a bit softer than past iterations, the EVO X is still the real thing and it's a matter of if you can handle it or not. Not everyone can and there's nothing wrong with that but don't denounce the EVO for not being like the STI because it wasn't intended to be.

Last edited by heavyD; Jul 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

There's quite a hand full of 8 9 10 Evo's owners that have a family and do travel in their Evos. Maybe make another thread asking how they do it in a X and how it feels?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

I've been all up and down the east coast in mine with no complaints about storage space, i've got 2 kids myself btw.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 05:55 AM
Evolving Member

Old Jul 14, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

If you like the STI get the STI.

All you will get here is most people convincing you to get the X...from a performance standpoint they are right though.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 08:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by userwave
You said it best with this picture. Around here at least, Subaru's are driven mainly by bull dykes...
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by acm_evo
You said it best with this picture. Around here at least, Subaru's are driven mainly by bull dykes...
And who drives Mitsibishi Lancer's, Galants and Outlanders?

Sorry but Mitsubishi is no more prestigious of a car brand than Subaru. Regardless of whether the Evo X outperforms the STi.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 03:58 PM

i love the evo and would never get an sti even though i have nothing against them...on the other hand i would much rather have an sti than a car such as the 350/370z
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:22 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
And who drives Mitsibishi Lancer's, Galants and Outlanders?

Sorry but Mitsubishi is no more prestigious of a car brand than Subaru. Regardless of whether the Evo X outperforms the STi.
I don't think you need to be defensive, man. You had to expect responses that are very pro-Evo, this is an Evo forum.

Anyway, get what you like! The STI makes more sense if you aren't going to mod, want it a little more comfortable, and can utilize all that awesome hatch room, like if you need to transport stuff. I can totally understand that angle. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread