Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 244 Likes on 220 Posts
Originally Posted by DefBringer
I've driven most if not all of these cars. No, I have not driven a 5.0 although I'm probably going to check one out this weekend for the hell of it. Who knows, I could be surprised? I just don't think I could get over their looks.

In the past 2-3 months I have driven the following cars either as test-drives or friends' cars:

E92 335i (my car, just sold)
Mazdaspeed6
E92 M3
2011 335iS w/ DCT
2010 M3 w 6spd
2010 M3 w/ DCT
'07 Corvette Z06
'08 Corvette Z06 (actually bought, had 1 day, returned to Carmax for bad tranny)
'10 Corvette Grand Sport
'08 Cayman S

I can tell you why the 370Z is a piece of ****: I owned a 350Z for exactly 1 year. The 370 solves none of the real issues that the 350 had - terrible visibility, junk suspension, garbage VQ engine. For $5000 more you can get a brand new Corvette LT1 - a car that is much better looking and has an engine that is simply to die for. It will beat a 370Z around a track going in reverse. A 370 is a ***** car and/or SoCali car for men who wear designer sunglasses.

335i may be "plain jane" but it has a better motor in it than the one in the M3, which is the car I had planned on buying. If they could take the 335i N54 motor and put it into an M3 then I'd buy one...(and this is what BMW is doing btw...a turbo 6 is confirmed for the next M3). The V8 in the current M3 is a terrible motor - bad gas mileage, no torque, no modability. There are TONS of 335i owners on bimmerpost who DO look down upon the M3. Obviously the M3 is the better car, but the 335i is simply the better value and DOES have a better engine.

I have no high horse, if I thought the 335 was the bee's knees I wouldn't have sold it now would I?
I don't own either but I have to disagree with you there.. the M3s motor is fantastic - I think it is one of the best n/a motors on the market. I think what you're arguing is between forced induction and natural aspiration.. honestly I'd take natural aspiration every day; I don't care if the turbo 6 m3 is quicker, faster, torquier, whatever.. Natural aspiration provides a connection that turbocharged cars have yet to match. If you want the fastest thing possible just get a gtr or whatever..
Old Jul 15, 2010, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 244 Likes on 220 Posts
oh and i really like the current gen sti (in hatch, not sedan) =]

i personally would choose the sti over the x - but only cuz i already have a ix.. if i didn't... i think i'd just wait until i picked up enough cash to get an e90 or e92 m3
Old Jul 16, 2010, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love when they merge threads and you have no idea how or why you were subscribed to it and you find that it is because of posts you made over a year ago...

At any rate, if it matters, over a year later and I still would pick my car over an Evo of any kind. Especially since I have had ZERO problems that weren't caused by something I did (And the one problem I had was just buying wheels that didn't fit and having to get them to fit...) Unlike my experience with the Evo... With a simple set of $200 COBB springs it handles exactly as it should, I imagine once I finally get it in for an alignment on the front it will handle even better.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
..... In the end I just found the whole experience of the STI to be on the soft side. Non-supportive seats, way too much body roll, and disconnected steering. ....
+1. My test drives of the STI (I did it twice, just to check my sanity, before and after a GSR test drive) found it to be VERY soft and body roll not much less than an old Mercury Grand Marquis (don't knock it til you try it, "A-Team" style RWD brake lock-up style turning). The STI had lovely power curves stock, but just didn't ever show the crisp "point and turn" confidence the GSR showed me.

In that same spirit, I totally disliked the sole MR testdrive for comparable reasons of too "soft" at edges when pushing it quickly L to R.

Last edited by journeymansteve; Jul 17, 2010 at 12:14 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by #1Noob
How in the hell do you fit TWO golf bags in the trunk of an X? I can barely fit one. I say pics or it didn't happen, only because I wanna know how you did it.
I'll take pics next time I do it. It takes a bit of shoe-horning the second bag, you have to start with the clubs to the right so you can get the bottom of the bag to butt up against the Rockford sub, and it might not go in easily on the first try. I've done it 3 or 4 times at least, and also have put the second set in the rear seat area at least twice too, so you can guess based on that ratio it's not a simple feat.
Old Jul 17, 2010, 09:10 AM

It's always easy to generalise things...sometimes quite naturally too...

For example, if one had problems with a STi but no problems with an Evo, chances are he's going to rave about the Evo more than the STi... However the problems could be just only that particular car and not necessary because it's a STi or an Evo...durability, to me, can be subjective...

STi have their share of problems...so do Evos...To say which is better is seriously anyone's guess or even preference....Some like STi while others prefer Evo...

Some like that the distribution of power to the wheels can be controlled with the new STi while others prefer the EvoX for being 'friendly'
Some prefer the interior of the STi than the Evo..
It will never end...but that kind of make things interesting...

From my experiences with where I am located, Rex owners had to fork out more cash to be on par or close to the level of Evo...and that can be a deciding factor...Know of so many STi owners having to be spend around $40k to achieve what Evo owners could achieve with $20k...
Old Jul 18, 2010, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
funny but not remotely accurate. The STi is a great car with gobs of heritage. OK the GR sucks but the hawk/peanut/bug eye and the RS/RS-T are incredible machines and setup right are very track capable. The boxer engine is a great platform for the most part.
Clearly you are mistaken.

http://industry.bnet.com/auto/100012...ru-number-one/
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I've been spending a lot of time over on the STi forums (not nasioc, which is a huge waste of time, IMHO) and the general consensus over there is that the Evo's engine is more reliable, definitely more tunable, and the Evo itself is a a more athletic, more thrilling ride. The downside is that the interior is terrible and that the company standing behind it, Mitsubishi, is far from trustworthy or reliable.

And to be honest, I agree with everything they're saying over there. The interior IS crap. But just like how the crap interior of the Corvette didn't deter me, the X's won't deter me either. It's just a completely unnecessary negative - a nicer interior made with better materials is a matter of a couple of hundred dollars, not thousands.

And as far as perceptions of the STi goes, even the people who own the cars concede that they're too soft, they lack the steering precision of the Evo (which is held in very high regard), and the engines are too fragile at anything north of 300awhp. Just check out the dozens of threads over there of people trying to get Evo X-feeling steering and handling....they envy you guys.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been spending a lot of time over on the STi forums (not nasioc, which is a huge waste of time, IMHO) and the general consensus over there is that the Evo's engine is more reliable, definitely more tunable, and the Evo itself is a a more athletic, more thrilling ride. The downside is that the interior is terrible and that the company standing behind it, Mitsubishi, is far from trustworthy or reliable.

And to be honest, I agree with everything they're saying over there. The interior IS crap. But just like how the crap interior of the Corvette didn't deter me, the X's won't deter me either. It's just a completely unnecessary negative - a nicer interior made with better materials is a matter of a couple of hundred dollars, not thousands.

And as far as perceptions of the STi goes, even the people who own the cars concede that they're too soft, they lack the steering precision of the Evo (which is held in very high regard), and the engines are too fragile at anything north of 300awhp. Just check out the dozens of threads over there of people trying to get Evo X-feeling steering and handling....they envy you guys.
Sounds spot on to me
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:02 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I couldn't agree more. The materials quality is almost laughable and a big step down from the previous chassis. While the interior styling is a matter of taste - though I still dislike the X dash - it's the lackluster materials that truly disappoint.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FJF
I couldn't agree more. The materials quality is almost laughable and a big step down from the previous chassis. While the interior styling is a matter of taste - though I still dislike the X dash - it's the lackluster materials that truly disappoint.
Are you serious? The previous chassis interior is one of the worst interiors of the last 15 years in any car. The X interior isn't that great but in MR trim at least looks decent.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 12:48 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
The two things in the IX that were really a lot nicer were the seat coverings (which were a huge step up from the VIII), and the trim. The trim in the X is nasty, and although the trim in the IX was faux CF, it just looked so much nicer and classier than what is in the X.

I do think the gauges in the X are a step up, and the seats themselves are much more supportive and grippy. The seats in the US VIII and IX are only the fault of Mitsubishi's perception of the US driver, whether to cut costs or because we are larger, because the Japanese VII I sat in had freaking awesome seats.

Anyway, I pretty much agree with a lot of what you say. It still makes me sad that you really dislike the X so, but can appreciate your opinion, and that you remain true to how you have always felt.

You guys should see the interior of a VI I drove, completely spartan to the end.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Are you serious? The previous chassis interior is one of the worst interiors of the last 15 years in any car. The X interior isn't that great but in MR trim at least looks decent.
+1000

There may be areas where the previous generation EVO is nicer than the EVO X. But the interior damn sure aint one of them.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:08 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Noize
It still makes me sad that you really dislike the X so, but can appreciate your opinion, and that you remain true to how you have always felt.
To be perfectly honest, I think the X is a very good car in itself. I just don't like what it stands for. I'm also very disappointed with the way the car was introduced to the public and Mitsubishi's continuous refusal to market the car to the folks who'd actually buy it. Then, there are the whys. Why such poor material quality? Why so much extra weight? Why the emphasis on gadgetry (albeit mild next to, say, German offerings), in lieu of a wider performance envelope from the get-go? Why the lack of focus that dominated the previous generations? As an Evolution enthusiast, all this is frustrating.

I'm looking to add to the stable in the next ~18 month. Unless Mitsubishi gets its act together, and by the looks of things it may get even worse for the enthusiast pilot, I'll be putting my cash down on a new Miata. It stirs the soul.

Old Jul 18, 2010, 01:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by FJF
To be perfectly honest, I think the X is a very good car in itself. I just don't like what it stands for. I'm also very disappointed with the way the car was introduced to the public and Mitsubishi's continuous refusal to market the car to the folks who'd actually buy it. Then, there are the whys. Why such poor material quality? Why so much extra weight? Why the emphasis on gadgetry (albeit mild next to, say, German offerings), in lieu of a wider performance envelope from the get-go? Why the lack of focus that dominated the previous generations? As an Evolution enthusiast, all this is frustrating.

I'm looking to add to the stable in the next ~18 month. Unless Mitsubishi gets its act together, and by the looks of things it may get even worse for the enthusiast pilot, I'll be putting my cash down on a new Miata. It stirs the soul.

I bought the X MR and I want a S2K

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread