Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2010, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by heavyD
If you don't understand AYC then why comment on it? It's not made for heavy or front axle cars. It's made to reduce or abolish inherent understeer in AWD cars. Remember Mitsubishi has been using AWC for years since the EVO VII. It wasn't something added to the X because it is heavier.

Depending on the track the STI can be close to the EVO or way behind for example 5 seconds behind the EVO as shown by the 4.2 mile C&D lightning lap. I've never seen a comparison around any track where the difference between the cars has been less than one second actually. As for the JDM cars being faster it all depends on which level JDM STI you are talking about. Sure the Spec C is faster but it's like comparing an FQ400 to a regular STI.
? This isn't a x v 9 argument. they've had ayc since the evo 4. i've done enough research to know that active rear diffs are a bandaid to help nose-heavy awd cars (ie all evos, the new s4) rotate better.

And finally on tighter courses like streets of willow the difference was less then even half a second in a one on one instrumented test. And that's for the american STI. And even so if you've seen the history you'd know that the C&D lightning lap results are a little odd.

And no I was never talking about the spec c, otherwise I would have said "spec c." http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/05/e...uba-lap-times/ The normal jdm sti has traditionally been quicker than the Evo.

Also, comparing the spec c is NOT like comparing the car to an fq400 - not even close

Last edited by kyoo; Jul 20, 2010 at 08:30 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by kyooch
? This isn't a x v 9 argument. they've had ayc since the evo 4. i've done enough research to know that active rear diffs are a bandaid to help nose-heavy awd cars (ie all evos, the new s4) rotate better.
The forgot to add the GT-R. Subaru's understeer worst than most FWD cars because understeer is inherent in AWD. Cars like the GT-R, EVO, and S4 don't use is as a band-aid. It's the only way to get AWD cars to rotate like a RWD car. Band-aids are for something that is broken. There's nothing broken about AWD as torque vectoring is a handling enhancement.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep in mind that STI's come with a ****ty alignment from the factory. Once this is corrected the understear is greatly reduced.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:03 AM
Evolved Member

^So do the Evo's.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BAD STI
Keep in mind that STI's come with a ****ty alignment from the factory. Once this is corrected the understear is greatly reduced.
I didn't get an alignment, and the first few times on the track I still had stock tires, wheels and suspension (I now have COBB springs, but that is beside the point).

Short story: I had no issues with understeer unless I was doing something completely idiotic. Sure, for the average driver, an STi is going to understeer a lot more than the X... But it really isn't that hard to get the car balanced going into a corner and get the back end to step out. A little bit of left foot braking and the right throttle inputs. And all of a sudden I am drifting.

Point is, yes, it understeers like a pig, but it really isn't nearly as bad as people say (just like the Evo never was, even before ACD and AYC and all that [aka my 2003]).

Throwing mods or even alignments into the mix just isn't fair. But yes, for 200 for springs and 75 for an alignment (which I will be getting this Saturday) I imagine the car handles worlds better, it already handles much better than it did before springs. But as the above said... so does the Evo.

To me it had nothing to do with the performance alone (obviously). I knew the Evo would perform better. I also knew the STi was much more pleasant to drive around town and that I liked the looks and wagon usability over the Evo X. Plus... I had bad luck with Mitsubishi, and have thus far had much better luck with Subaru.

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jul 20, 2010 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 243 Likes on 219 Posts
The forgot to add the GT-R. Subaru's understeer worst than most FWD cars because understeer is inherent in AWD. Cars like the GT-R, EVO, and S4 don't use is as a band-aid. It's the only way to get AWD cars to rotate like a RWD car. Band-aids are for something that is broken. There's nothing broken about AWD as torque vectoring is a handling enhancement.
I agree - AWD is NOT the broken bit - the bit that is "broken" is the fact that the engine placement is so far in the front of the car. F/R weight ratio splits don't often reflect this. If you picture a dumbbell with the weights near the outsides of the bars, the inertia is VERY different from a dumbbell with the weights in the middle of the bar. When the weight is so far in the front like that, in front of the axles, the car is naturally going to drag out to understeer. Thus a car like an evo needs a rear diff with a lot of locking force taht will push the outer rear wheel to allow the car to rotate better.

In the case you're saying, it IS a band aid because it is one of the very few only ways to get AWD cars to rotate like rwd cars. A few others include mechanical rears, sways (which i don't prefer), and having a 4wd set up like 30/70 like on the r8 or lambos.

"subarus" if you're referring to the sti, understeers because the stock suspension is set up to understeer.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by murlo26
^So do the Evo's.
Yep. I had to get mine re-aligned. Happens to lots of cars in freight from the manufacturer.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep. I had to get mine re-aligned. Happens to lots of cars in freight from the manufacturer.
This. The cars are tied down to the truck trailers and boats by various hooks attached to their undercarriage.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyooch
4wd set up like 30/70 like on the r8 or lambos.

"subarus" if you're referring to the sti, understeers because the stock suspension is set up to understeer.
Yeah, the C4 was nice with 10/90 that would adapt down to 40/60. It was perfect for all weather that Utah could throw at me..

And yes, this is true, it is a safety blanket so idiots don't crash the car, since oversteering in a big heavy powerful awd car is pretty scary (did it once in the Evo with aftermarket suspension and some rain, was scarier than oversteering in the S2000, probably because it was unpredictable). It doesn't change the fact that most of the time the car understeers worse than a lot of FWD cars (the Mini, for example).
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled

anybody here switching from evox to new '11 sti sedan

End of august the new subaru sti sedan is coming back anybbody thinking about making the switch? I'm thinking about it I really like the looks. There also offering the hatchback as well so for the first time you can either chose between the hatchback of 4 door sedan.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think so, to much money... will have to wait for new mods to come out... the car looks awesome I think, but for that kind of money i'd go BMW before I went STI.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'll also add that with all the quirks the X has, I love my car pretty much all of the time. I work hard to keep it looking good, and there is one in my town and it's mine... of course that would be the case with the STI too though I suppose.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

After watching the top gear videos of evo 9 vs sti and evo 10 vs sti why would anyone go to Subaru?
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Mr. Move
After watching the top gear videos of evo 9 vs sti and evo 10 vs sti why would anyone go to Subaru?
Maybe because the STi was quicker than the X. Although I bought my STi because I really like the hatch/ wagon and the deal I got was too good to pass up.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Its not that much quicker in a straight line.
I can see getting it due to luggage purposes but if you already own an evo no point in switching over imo.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread