Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I do agree the new STI is ahead of the ball game over the Evo X in the stock clutch department, but looks and engine sound the Evo X won me over.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love the sound of the boxer engine. Im waiting to see more on the stats on power and pricing. But Im considering it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tunechi
End of august the new subaru sti sedan is coming back anybbody thinking about making the switch? I'm thinking about it I really like the looks. There also offering the hatchback as well so for the first time you can either chose between the hatchback of 4 door sedan.
Before you buy, you may want to spend some time reading the piston failure topics on the subaru forums.here's one to start.http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ting-data.html

Last edited by dreamerak; Aug 1, 2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 07:59 PM
Evolving Member

nope...i came from subaru and with all the recent engine failures and lack of friendly modding, i wouldn't look back. the new sti sedan is just ugly, the hatch is much better suited for that body style. and yes, they are still too expensive...even used. hopefully with all the competition and the SE evo coming out, mitsu will have some better incentives for the 2010 evo's left.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
I don't think so, to much money... will have to wait for new mods to come out... the car looks awesome I think, but for that kind of money i'd go BMW before I went STI.
LOL... then I guess the EVO X is too much money too.... they cost about the same. Unless you go with X MR-T, the prices of both the EVO X and STI are within 2k or less. I don't know why people bring BWMs in the equation with our cars. I've owned 2 BMWs(330ci and E46 M3) both being more expensive and neither did much for me. Yes luxury is there but I wouldn't give up my EVO or even an STi(I've owned an 07 STI before my IX) for a BMW. BMWs not worth the money.

BMWs ar NOT the same categorey as our cars.

Originally Posted by Mr. Move
After watching the top gear videos of evo 9 vs sti and evo 10 vs sti why would anyone go to Subaru?
really, for the average JOE, both cars are so close in performance in stock form that the differences that those Videos even make in their comparison's is pointless. And most people that own STI and EVOS don't keep em stock anyways...

As for the Piston failures, its true, the STI has had a good amount of issues since the 07 year as the LEV2 standards made the stock tune way too lean. My 07 had the horrid hesitation issues. I would say though that with a good tune and or AP, the piston issues can be avoided or the chances of experiencing an engine failure will be greatly reduce. Its is a valid concernce though. Why should you be worried about your engine blowing up LOL.

For me, I like the way the new Sedan looks but I also like the X. I am quite happy with my IX and I plan to keep it for another year at least so I will see how the new STI does and I will probably jump to a X or maybe the Sedan STI.

This being an EVO forum, there are definitely fan boys here mocking it... its the same in the Subary community. Some people jus plain hate the styling of EVOs. Way I see it, get what you want because you like it, not because what some other person says they like or dislike it.

I personally like both cars... even the STI hatch looks good with a nice aggressive set up... can't wait to see what the folks at IWSTI do with their new Sedan STIs once they start modding them.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Aug 1, 2010 at 08:19 PM.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 08:20 PM
Evolved Member

Performance-wise going from EVO X to STi is a step down even with the minor suspension tweaks for 2011. If you want a more comfortable daily driver and want to keep it stock the STi would probably be a better bet. The sedan is ugly and the engine can barely handle the stock power and the common theme with owning a Subaru is engine replacement (I know someone will chime in that they had no problems with their Subaru but there's overwhelming evidence that the engines just aren't durable as there are inherent weaknesses in the design). I can't see why anyone would want to step down to an inferior car unless you find the EVO too hardcore for your tastes which it is to some.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 09:31 PM
Account Disabled

Wow people are getting intense with there responses in this threade I just started the thread to see if ppl were going to change to the '11 sti sedan. Anybody know a starting price on it?? Id also lik to see a topegear video if it against the evo x.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tunechi
Wow people are getting intense with there responses in this threade I just started the thread to see if ppl were going to change to the '11 sti sedan. Anybody know a starting price on it?? Id also lik to see a topegear video if it against the evo x.
Really? All I see are opinions, nothing intense at all and really what did you expect posting this thread here? Everyone to jump on board and say "Me!", "Me too"? Really it's the same car that was released in 2008 with the sedan body that has been available on WRX's since 2008. If someone went with an EVO X over a 2008, 2009, 2010 STi what would make you think that owners would all of a sudden ditch their X for the car they passed over in the first place?

Subaru is the master of repackaging. Put on a new front end every couple of years and watch the fanboys clamour for the same car they already have. When you consider the entire powertrain and AWD system is carried over from last generation there's no reason to even look at them if past STi's didn't turn your crank unless you really want a hatch which IMO looks much better than the new sedan with it's Kia rear end styling.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

can't afford to make another brand new car purchase Would do it if I were financially able to.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
LOL... then I guess the EVO X is too much money too.... they cost about the same. Unless you go with X MR-T, the prices of both the EVO X and STI are within 2k or less. I don't know why people bring BWMs in the equation with our cars. I've owned 2 BMWs(330ci and E46 M3) both being more expensive and neither did much for me. Yes luxury is there but I wouldn't give up my EVO or even an STi(I've owned an 07 STI before my IX) for a BMW. BMWs not worth the money.

BMWs ar NOT the same categorey as our cars.

really, for the average JOE, both cars are so close in performance in stock form that the differences that those Videos even make in their comparison's is pointless. And most people that own STI and EVOS don't keep em stock anyways...

As for the Piston failures, its true, the STI has had a good amount of issues since the 07 year as the LEV2 standards made the stock tune way too lean. My 07 had the horrid hesitation issues. I would say though that with a good tune and or AP, the piston issues can be avoided or the chances of experiencing an engine failure will be greatly reduce. Its is a valid concernce though. Why should you be worried about your engine blowing up LOL.

For me, I like the way the new Sedan looks but I also like the X. I am quite happy with my IX and I plan to keep it for another year at least so I will see how the new STI does and I will probably jump to a X or maybe the Sedan STI.

This being an EVO forum, there are definitely fan boys here mocking it... its the same in the Subary community. Some people jus plain hate the styling of EVOs. Way I see it, get what you want because you like it, not because what some other person says they like or dislike it.

I personally like both cars... even the STI hatch looks good with a nice aggressive set up... can't wait to see what the folks at IWSTI do with their new Sedan STIs once they start modding them.
oh, you know where I can get an '11 STI OTD for 31k somewhere? If so then yeah i'll take a good look at it.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Methodical4u
oh, you know where I can get an '11 STI OTD for 31k somewhere? If so then yeah i'll take a good look at it.
if you are serious then I can hook you up with my contact here in Virginia. I believe Invoice Price on an STI is around $33k, I say anything below invoice then your close enough. Let me know if you are really interested. This is a good Subaru dealer and the Sales Manager seems like a pretty decent dude.. He doesn't know I have an EVO but he knows I may jump into another STI since he knows I used to own an 07.

I am really curious to see how fast these cars are gonna sell... I personally like the new Sedan. I can picture one now... White, wingless, and a nice aggressive set of wheels and dumped on a set of coils... yum

I really want to see it in person though.

Last edited by Astro_Train; Aug 1, 2010 at 11:56 PM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:05 AM
Evolved Member

naw
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:31 AM
Evolved Member

**** subaru with a 9 foot **** n *****
Old Aug 2, 2010, 12:36 AM
Evolved Member

I'll probably got test drive an STI sedan to see what it's like... but I'm sticking with my EVO X. I drove the current STI hatch and was really disappointed by how soft it was. Since they are saying the sedan will be harder... I'm looking forward to trying it. But I love my EVO... and I'm sticking with it.

Also the STi sedan is a bloated, fugly thing!

Old Aug 2, 2010, 03:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Really? All I see are opinions, nothing intense at all and really what did you expect posting this thread here? Everyone to jump on board and say "Me!", "Me too"? Really it's the same car that was released in 2008 with the sedan body that has been available on WRX's since 2008. If someone went with an EVO X over a 2008, 2009, 2010 STi what would make you think that owners would all of a sudden ditch their X for the car they passed over in the first place?

Subaru is the master of repackaging. Put on a new front end every couple of years and watch the fanboys clamour for the same car they already have. When you consider the entire powertrain and AWD system is carried over from last generation there's no reason to even look at them if past STi's didn't turn your crank unless you really want a hatch which IMO looks much better than the new sedan with it's Kia rear end styling.

^Word!

04-11 sti same car, different body kit. Don't tell me crap about the suspension. The 2011 sti is already seven years old. It's mechanically the same car they put out in 04.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread