Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While Subaru NA continues to ignore the performance enthusiast I'll ignore Subaru. The NA seats are a joke, the suspension sucks and the engine (also different for NA) is a time bomb.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
I love the 08 since they are hatch .

sedan.... before 08.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My wife wants to trade her '07 WRX in for the 2011
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
While Subaru NA continues to ignore the performance enthusiast I'll ignore Subaru.
Are you kidding me? Subaru does FAR more than Mitsubishi for the performance enthusiasts! They have two complete lines of aftermarket parts available (SPT and STI), mail my wife a monthly Subaru enthusiasts magazine, etc. My wife has both SPT and STI parts on her WRX.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:48 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by robertrinaustin
Maybe because the STi was quicker than the X. Although I bought my STi because I really like the hatch/ wagon and the deal I got was too good to pass up.
Not in this country! That was a UK spec SST GSR that had no flying lap and got killed on the launch, but still was very close. They did not run the manual FQ car, as it has a power bump, so the results would be unfair. I am unaware of any comparison of a GSR vs an STI in this country where the GSR was not faster. Look no further than Lightning Lap results for proof.

Bottom line, you mirror the FQ360 results from that video with nothing more than a $400 professional reflash and $200 upper intercooler pipe.

Originally Posted by tunechi
Wow people are getting intense with there responses in this threade I just started the thread to see if ppl were going to change to the '11 sti sedan. Anybody know a starting price on it?? Id also lik to see a topegear video if it against the evo x.
This is because this topic has been gone over a few times. You have to expect that most of the guys will pick the Evo on an Evo forum. I'll find the original thread and merge this one in a little later.

Here is the link you requested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4CfWdoSOTk

I personally will never go back into a Subaru due to much less mod potential, an engine that does not like to rev, compromised turbocharger routing due to boxer design, and a top mount intercooler. The hatch to me looks great, but STI sedan looks terrible, especially from the back. It kinda of looks like a cross between STI, Mustang, and Saturn Ion Redline.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:51 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts

Vertical slats in taillights added by me to show Mustang heritage.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

i had one on order and decided against it. (dont worry, neither of the evos are going anywhere). It wasnt much to brag about. The car (like someone said above) is the same thing just repackaged. When I first saw it at the auto show I was excited and ordered one. Then after reading about it and hearing more things, I decided to hold off on it. If they made dramatic improvements I would be all over it, but for now, im just gonna sit tight and see what mitsu has for the next round of evo.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
^ Whew Shivam! I'm glad you're keeping those two Evos!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:06 AM
Evolving Member

"subaru is the master of repackaging"? welcome to the automobile market,

every car company changes a few body pieces and call it a new car.

The evo 8 and evo 9 have nothing in common right?
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:32 AM

I'm seriously thinking about switching to an STI because the only Mitsu dealer in town dropped Mitsu and replaced it with Nissan.... So there's no Mitsu dealer within 60 miles of me I love the Evo X, but not having a dealership within 60 miles is a serious
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

I've never been a fan of Subaru and the styling on the '11 STI sedan solidified my stance on these cars. I thought the hatch was ugly but the sedan looks twice as bad.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Scratchy
I'm seriously thinking about switching to an STI because the only Mitsu dealer in town dropped Mitsu and replaced it with Nissan.... So there's no Mitsu dealer within 60 miles of me I love the Evo X, but not having a dealership within 60 miles is a serious
my closest mitsu dealer is 1.5 hours away from me... it shouldnt be an excuse to not buy an X...at least to me anyway. the only things u need a dealership for is warranty work and recalls...

anyways i would NEVER consider trading in the X for the 2011... OMG the sedan is completely ugly..it looks like those kia sedans with a celica GT wing put on the back... plus the tail lights are definately taken from the older mustangs..

IMO subaru really f*cked up with the 2011 for the sedan anyways... it makes the hatch look even better... and i dont even like the hatch!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
Evolving Member

Different strokes for different fokes, subaru sales have been better then mitsubishi sales through the ression. Subaru cant be doing 2 much wrong.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:26 AM

I am yet to purchase a new vehicle however, I began my search with the STI. I did read the threads on iwsti about ringland and engine problems. The few people I sent messages to asking about the ability to daily drive 400 hp in that vehicle informed me that 320 hp would be plenty and they would not suggest a 400 hp (or anything over 350) daily driven STI.

I went by the Mitsubishi dealership on a Sunday to take a look and from what I can tell the Mitsubishi is a much more quality vehicle inside and out. I was not a fan of the Subaru interior and do not see the complaints from different vehicle reviews.

I should be purchasing an MR in September (again, still have not test driven) and am looking forward to it.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by NJ9MR
^ Whew Shivam! I'm glad you're keeping those two Evos!
Thanks! No way, love those evos to death. Im lucky I dont have kids because it would be a tough decision if someone asked me who I love more

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread