Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm no STI fan but some of the responses here are downright stupid, like calling the STI mechanically unchanged from 2003-2010. In the interest of correct info being passed on, I could name a few, but what's the point? Just do some research on the Internet and read up. Test driving would be a better option. Its not the same car, it has changed a LOT. Subaru did listen to all reviews and customers and designed a newer and more rigid suspension for the 2011 amongst other things. The STI sedan has a rear spoiler that allows it to go faster in a safer way than the hatch. So yeah, the STI is also evolving. Anybody who doesn't see that is just blind or turning their back at it and talking like they know everything.

We all love our cars, but lets not act like the doofuses on the STI forums, shall we? Give credit where its due.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
Different strokes for different fokes, subaru sales have been better then mitsubishi sales through the ression. Subaru cant be doing 2 much wrong.
Subaru's sales have more to do with their whole line up than just stis. There are two mitsu dealers within the atlanta area compared to 6 subaru dealers within the same area, so yeah they're gonna sell more.

Mitsu's line has sucked the last few years and considering that and they still made it through the recession without any huge hit except closing some dealers down. All of subaru's models sell very well, this isn't the case w/ mitsu's line up. And then there's the soa marketing machine. What was the last time you saw a dedicated evoX add.

I've debated the dealer situation for a while because the general opinion is they suck compared to the subaru dealers in my area, some of which look like Acura dealers inside.
When it comes to buying an evo I've accepted the fact that the dealer experience will be the low point of ownership. Whether it's due to crappy service or the fact that there isn't even a dealer around. I've been juggling btw sti and evo for my next car for 2+ yrs. For me, an injury made up my mind since it's difficult for me to press the clutch now, so an MR it is.

Barring my injury I'd get the sti since I like the utility in the hatch.
I've mulled over both the evo mr and sti at dealers extensively and I don't see any huge interior quality the sti may have over the evo.
I've even sat in the new limited sti sedan(leather, sunroof, etc) and the evo MR-t spanks that interior in solid feel and quality by far. The only thing I would say is the sti's interior is better designed but not better quality, at least not compared to the MR.

Subaru is pretty disappointing though, as they keep raping their loyal sti customer base. They've made no mechanical improvements to the sti since 2004. There's a few notable updates, but these are updates that an owner would've done anyway. So you have more room, and navi. The only real notable update has been cam(not sure if I'm naming the right part) tuning on the intake and exhaust.
The only good thing is that since it's been the same all these years, tuners don't have to reinvent the wheel every year and there's a huge pre-existing aftermarket of parts available.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:14 AM
Evolving Member

^ same since 2004? what about DCCD? (Driver Controlled Center Dif). and helical front dif (just 2 name a couple). There are plently of things that i didnt list that improved the Sti since 2004 as well

Last edited by SubieEvoGuy; Aug 2, 2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:18 AM

i love my X because they're not as common as the STI's. I see subies all over the place. I'm the only X in my area!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CatalystGod
I'm no STI fan but some of the responses here are downright stupid, like calling the STI mechanically unchanged from 2003-2010. In the interest of correct info being passed on, I could name a few, but what's the point? Just do some research on the Internet and read up. Test driving would be a better option. Its not the same car, it has changed a LOT. Subaru did listen to all reviews and customers and designed a newer and more rigid suspension for the 2011 amongst other things. The STI sedan has a rear spoiler that allows it to go faster in a safer way than the hatch. So yeah, the STI is also evolving.
I've been on iwsti since 08 and most there agree the sti does not have any new hardware. Everything's just been slightly updated, but eveythings still the same when you get to the core parts like the engine, transmission, differentials. The greatest update which I'll give them is the chasis.

For 2011 they've finally updated the suspension, but most owners especially the die hards can and would change this out anyway. The changes that are needed are the in the direction the evo has gone ie. new engine, tranny, ayc... to name a few.

The wing on the sedan isn't the greatest thing that attributes to the greater top speed of the sedan which is 159mph vs the hatch's 155mph. It has to do with the body style, most notably the larger rear over hang on the sedan which gives it more aero dynamic ability, and yes the wing. All of which is very ironic because when they brought the hatch out, soa was saying the shorter overhangs and roung shape of the hatch create a more stable and faster car. There were huge arguments about this over in nasioc and iwsti because the die hard gd(sedan 04-07) owners weren't buying the aero benefits of the gr(hatch shaped chasis).

I'm guessing the gr's benefit shines through on a rally course where the sedan shines on a track. The mostly stock 2011 sti sedan just established a new sedan(not sure how they divide that class) record around the 'ring. Will be back with a link.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...record-feature

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Wa6...=youtube_gdata

Last edited by rashid.4v; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

No thanks.

With all the ring land issues Subarus have been having lately, no way.

Plus the fact it's still ugly...

Last edited by DarwinX; Aug 2, 2010 at 09:45 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:46 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
^ same since 2004? what about DCCD? (Driver Controlled Center Dif). and helical front dif (just 2 name a couple). There are plently of things that i didnt list that improved the Sti since 2004 as well
The dccd is just tuning for the diff and throttle inputs not a new mechanical improvement. The helical diffs are updates to what was already there. These aren't a 180 degree new part that vastly sets the years apart. I won't say the sti has made zero updates, there are a few like the rear upside down endlinks(I may have said the wrong thing here) of the 2008 plus stis. That's totally new.
I think what you may call new, I see as updates. To me new is the differences between an evo9 and an evoX. Totally new engine, tranny etc., little to nothing in common with it's predecessor.

I love the sti but it's lacking compared to the market. Look at a 2004 3seriea bmw vs a 2010 3series, totally and completely mechanically updated.

You can take a 2004 sti and fit just about any 2011 part to it.

Last edited by rashid.4v; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:28 AM. Reason: Correction for dccd
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dreamerak
Before you buy, you may want to spend some time reading the piston failure topics on the subaru forums.here's one to start.http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ting-data.html

4g63 ALL THE WAY!!
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

^ The X doesnt have the 4g63
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:59 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
The STI gearing did improve substantially in 2007. The 04-06 cars had tractor gears and 4th gear redline could not achieve 100mph. So that is a big improvement in my eyes. But still not enough for me.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 09:59 AM

Until Subaru's start coming with forged internals and the ability to hold up to some minor mods, it'll still be weak. I owned an '08 hatchback STi, I never had engine problems but I did start to notice oil disappearing so I'm sure mine was on the way out. Mine was only running 370 whp/wtq never even hit 400. And that is what everyone always said was, once you hit 400whp you better start looking to do forged pistons soon.

So to answer the OP's question I would love to go back to an STi but not until they update the motor platform like Mitsu did for the X. Also I love my X, sexy, quick, and imo handles much better. Can't wait to get tuned by English Racing soon.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
Are you kidding me? Subaru does FAR more than Mitsubishi for the performance enthusiasts! They have two complete lines of aftermarket parts available (SPT and STI), mail my wife a monthly Subaru enthusiasts magazine, etc. My wife has both SPT and STI parts on her WRX.
No I'm afraid I'm not kidding at all. An accessories catalog and a magazine don't make up for the crimes committed. Cast parts and a lean tune leading to ringland failure, lard *** friendly bench seating, marginal steering ratio / feel and a cushy on the touchie suspension. I'll pass. I can't believe you could drive a GR and an Evo in the same day and not laugh your *** off.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rashid.4v
Subaru's sales have more to do with their whole line up than just stis. There are two mitsu dealers within the atlanta area compared to 6 subaru dealers within the same area, so yeah they're gonna sell more.
You have the cause and effect reversed in your logic. The reason there are so many subaru dealerships is because there is so much demand. Dealers literally have to fight over each other to have the legacy and outback cars allocated to them. They are that hot.

Mitsu's line has sucked the last few years and considering that and they still made it through the recession without any huge hit except closing some dealers down. All of subaru's models sell very well, this isn't the case w/ mitsu's line up. And then there's the soa marketing machine. What was the last time you saw a dedicated evoX add.
That is a pretty big hit if you ask me. Has a ripple effect. Dealerships dying because people aren't buying enough and people not buying since they are afraid of lack of dealerships/support. Sucks for Mitsu. But the only true solution is to release a rock solid lineup like Subaru.

Subaru is pretty disappointing though, as they keep raping their loyal sti customer base. They've made no mechanical improvements to the sti since 2004. There's a few notable updates, but these are updates that an owner would've done anyway. So you have more room, and navi. The only real notable update has been cam(not sure if I'm naming the right part) tuning on the intake and exhaust.
The only good thing is that since it's been the same all these years, tuners don't have to reinvent the wheel every year and there's a huge pre-existing aftermarket of parts available.
Well......yes. They have made very minor changes in areas that matter the most on these cars (read Engine, Tranny and other drivetrain areas). Only real changes worth mentioning would be the Chassis and hatch style.

I've been on iwsti since 08 and most there agree the sti does not have any new hardware. Everything's just been slightly updated, but eveythings still the same when you get to the core parts like the engine, transmission, differentials. The greatest update which I'll give them is the chasis.

For 2011 they've finally updated the suspension, but most owners especially the die hards can and would change this out anyway. The changes that are needed are the in the direction the evo has gone ie. new engine, tranny, ayc... to name a few.
But the tranny on the STI is so good to begin with anyway. Why change something so good for the sake of changing. But I do agree about the Engine. They should have beefed up the internals to stand to Mitsu's onslaught. That alone would have kept the Subaru campers happy.

The wing on the sedan isn't the greatest thing that attributes to the greater top speed of the sedan which is 159mph vs the hatch's 155mph. It has to do with the body style, most notably the larger rear over hang on the sedan which gives it more aero dynamic ability, and yes the wing. All of which is very ironic because when they brought the hatch out, soa was saying the shorter overhangs and roung shape of the hatch create a more stable and faster car. There were huge arguments about this over in nasioc and iwsti because the die hard gd(sedan 04-07) owners weren't buying the aero benefits of the gr(hatch shaped chasis).

I'm guessing the gr's benefit shines through on a rally course where the sedan shines on a track. The mostly stock 2011 sti sedan just established a new sedan(not sure how they divide that class) record around the 'ring. Will be back with a link.
This is correct.
Originally Posted by DarwinX
No thanks.

With all the ring land issues Subarus have been having lately, no way.

Plus the fact it's still ugly...

We have this exact car (configuration wise) sitting at the Subaru headquarters today. I sat in it, felt a bit guilty, and walked out unimpressed. But the color is beautiful though. Too bad paint quality sucks so bad on the STIs, just like the Evos.

Originally Posted by caseyc
Until Subaru's start coming with forged internals and the ability to hold up to some minor mods, it'll still be weak. I owned an '08 hatchback STi, I never had engine problems but I did start to notice oil disappearing so I'm sure mine was on the way out. Mine was only running 370 whp/wtq never even hit 400. And that is what everyone always said was, once you hit 400whp you better start looking to do forged pistons soon.

So to answer the OP's question I would love to go back to an STi but not until they update the motor platform like Mitsu did for the X. Also I love my X, sexy, quick, and imo handles much better. Can't wait to get tuned by English Racing soon.
Agreed, lets hope 2012 has something better in store for us performance buffs.

Last edited by CatalystGod; Aug 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
No I'm afraid I'm not kidding at all. An accessories catalog and a magazine don't make up for the crimes committed. Cast parts and a lean tune leading to ringland failure, lard *** friendly bench seating, marginal steering ratio / feel and a cushy on the touchie suspension. I'll pass. I can't believe you could drive a GR and an Evo in the same day and not laugh your *** off.
Hey, stop talking about my *** guys.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:49 AM

I think that based on the pic the sti has nothing on our x's

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread