Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2009, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KruxRedline
I'm on the fence really of buying and selling right now. I'm terrified to drive the Evo X because if I like it I will buy it.
You will like it, and you will buy it. Same thing goes for you, I assume you hate the new STis for whatever reason, and both cars are amazing cars. I loved my VIII, but the X/GR STi are worlds ahead.
Old May 29, 2009, 01:51 PM

Great info from all you guys, I am going to look into the GSR more to know Im feeling. I kinda like to stick with the good old stickshift tranny, as one guy over here said, do it and don't look back, that prolly what I have to do.

Kinda sucky these days thoug, Im hoping to get around 24k for my STI.
Old May 29, 2009, 02:09 PM

get the gsr I just came from my sti and I love my X. I highly suggest selling your car privatley because the dealer is gonna kill you on your trade. I had an 06 with 32k on it and they wanted to give me 18K...I turned around and sold it for 23k privately and was able to get a better deal on the car instead of trying to trade it in. Cash talks man.
Old May 29, 2009, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evorider1
Great info from all you guys, I am going to look into the GSR more to know Im feeling. I kinda like to stick with the good old stickshift tranny, as one guy over here said, do it and don't look back, that prolly what I have to do.

Kinda sucky these days thoug, Im hoping to get around 24k for my STI.
Super sucky, I had the Porsche (56k miles) privately listed for 25k which was pretty good for private. Finally just traded it in, got almost 21k for it, but the dealer only managed to get 24k for it. Times are tough for all. GL!
Old May 29, 2009, 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

I know someone in this forum that gotten great deal at the Long Beach dealer. Almost even trade evoIX MR for evoX gsr. I almost did it myself but I'm still in love with my IX
Old May 29, 2009, 02:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
Take it from me, don't drive one. I wasn't ready to get an EVO X but one test drive with the MR and I was signing the documents.
+1 drove it once for a test drive and had to get it!!!!!!!!!
Old May 29, 2009, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

I came from an 06 STi as well and I have zero regrets. I love my X. If you test drive it, its a wrap. You will be looking to unload your STi immediately. I couldn't be happier with what Mitsubishi offered this time around in the Evo X. Buy it, you won't be disappointed.
Old May 30, 2009, 12:28 PM

I had an 06 STi with 18,000 KM on it. Switched to X GSR.
Powerwise the are both very fast stock, but the X handles much better than the STi, plus it has the Recaros (STi seats sucked) and more space in the back seat (for my kids). Trunk in the X is useless, literally. Also I find the gear ratios (1-4 at least) much better spaced than the 06 STi's.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread-sti-2.jpg   Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread-getattachment.jpg  
Old May 30, 2009, 12:51 PM
Evolved Member

you will be fine, i belive that the tranny can handle more than 100 extra HP. so unless you want to make this a drag monster out of it, you will be great.

Originally Posted by evorider1
So I've been thinking alot lately and I've been wanting to trade in my 2006 STI + cash for an EVO X MR, im just worried about the reliability on the EVO X, are they any good? I know nothing about EVO so I'm new to this world.

I got 48 000 miles on my STI and so far ive had zero problems with it, bulletproof transmission and no turboproblems whatsoever.

I've heard that the EVO 9 MR transmissions are weak, how are the EVO X MR transmissions?

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks
Old May 30, 2009, 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

With today's economy, no dealer in their right mind would give a buyer $$$ trade over what the value is on Edmunds or KBB trade-in "fair" value of your car. Expect at least $1K - $2K under what those websites will tell you on how much the actual dealer trade is going to be. This shouldn't discourage buyers though, since there are massive discounts to be had on the new Evos, combined with no interest financing.

Sure you could get better offers on your trade last year, but getting a new X @ invoice price was also hard to find. Now getting $5k to $8K off with 0% APR is not hard to get. Get your X, you won't regret it. It's a keeper.

Last edited by tipoytm; May 30, 2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old May 30, 2009, 08:02 PM
Former Sponsor

Go drive both like I did. For me the MR suspension handled the bumps better(bilsteins), but it was slightly less sharp steering. The SST tranny is pretty cool, in super mode its just plain angry. I like the interior in the MR better also the BBS wheels. I also tossed the wing. I'm not into the look at me style. 38yrs old. with a Ivey tune the MR is pretty fast, I pulled on a G8 from a roll. Not sure what year it was, but either way I was happy. That being said If you plan on going beyond basic bolt-ons, go with the GSR. hope this helps
Old May 31, 2009, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

I thought the X GSR was a bit underwhelming performancewise after my first test drive and I was coming from a totally stock RSX-S. With a few mods and a tune it is a totally different car and I can safely say I enjoy my car much more now. I would go with a GSR over MR, but if the auto is appealing to you go for it.
Old May 31, 2009, 05:33 AM
Evolving Member

i just got rid of my modded 06 wrx, and stepped into an X MR, it is miles ahead of any subaru handling wise, and the MR transmission is incredible and will be much ! quicker on twisty tracks for track days!

do it if you can !
Old May 31, 2009, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

I don't understand people who say the X's numbers/performance aren't astonishing! Where talking about a 32k car that goes 0-60 in under 5 seconds and finishes the 1/2 miles in the 13's. For crying out loud it out handles most super cars. Sure you can mod any car and beat the stock X on the straight, however it will always fall short on the track! Nothing handles like an EVO [NOTHING]!!!
Old May 31, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Xtremist
Nothing handles like an EVO [NOTHING]!!!
well put !

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread