Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well if its a "claimed 320hp" then why not compare it 2 a fq320.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
Really? does everyone really think the new sti is ugly?

I think its a big improvement in styling.

That particular picture is one of the better ones I've seen of the STi sedan. But in general... the car just looks bulbous and ugly. There's no way this thing can be considered better looking than the EVO X.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
well if its a "claimed 320hp" then why not compare it 2 a fq320.
At least it has a real engine. The EJ207 has a bigger turbo, is much more robust, and redlines a full 1800rpm higher!

The EJ257 we get is junk in comparison. The turbos spool slowly, particularly if you convert then to front mount intercooler, with tons of spool lag post shifts. The beauty of an EJ207 is that it can utilize power better because it has a much greater operating range.

I would not throw out my car, but I would actually buy an STI with an EJ207. I won't even consider an EJ257. I don't know why we get jipped with that big crummy engine.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

Supposedly Americans like torque... that's why some Japanese cars here have larger displacement engines than their JDM counterparts.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Dang, I love my Evo (4b11t) but I have to be more fair than a few posts. I would not, did not, could not, drop any dimes, lots (37k in STL) or few, for such an ugly thing as the hatchback in 2008 when the itch hit and I was gonna buy a real, and fun, and 'safe' (code words to a wife) faster car (ok, laugh yourselves there). But the STi Sedan version has to sound better than a X does, really, I was laughed at the track for a joke of a car, "stealth" steal power. And looks on this sedan are pretty decent. A Kia? I think we're over the top if we don't respect a car that's fast. Look at that Genesis. Hate to drive a Hyundai, but its faster than a G8 for heaven's sake.

But the reality is also that Subie mfr INTENTIONALLY left that dang soft suspension 'soft'. It was WRC viability. Because they are more interested in going back to that, they are intentionally going softer and more off-road than Mitsubishi decided to do with the X. To that end, we're not really in a position to "criticize" design goals -- we vote on the outcomes after that. Since the new STi's have come out and the X came out a couple years back, they've taken divergent "evolutionary" paths. IMO.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

Do you really think Subaru gave the road-going STi a soft suspension so they could use the car in WRC?!?!? Really???

Subaru gave the STi a softer suspension because they are trying to go mass appeal with the STi. That explains why the STi is the way it is. The suspension is softer because the general public would find the previous STi suspension way too stiff... they upgraded the interior materials... they made it a hatchback in the hopes of people considering it more practical and versatile. With their goal being to make the STi a more mass appeal car... Subaru succeeded... the problem is... people who bought the STi just for its driving experience... pretty much got left in the dark here.
Old Aug 2, 2010, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Crester
Do you really think Subaru gave the road-going STi a soft suspension so they could use the car in WRC?!?!? Really???

Subaru gave the STi a softer suspension because they are trying to go mass appeal with the STi. That explains why the STi is the way it is. The suspension is softer because the general public would find the previous STi suspension way too stiff... they upgraded the interior materials... they made it a hatchback in the hopes of people considering it more practical and versatile. With their goal being to make the STi a more mass appeal car... Subaru succeeded... the problem is... people who bought the STi just for its driving experience... pretty much got left in the dark here.

The hatch didn't just come about for mass appeal, particularly when you consider that the US market supposedly hates wagons and hatches.

The hatch may have some mainstream consideration in it's design but the big push came from the rally drivers who claimed the hatch dimensions would give them a more overall competitive rally car. All the other winning teams were pushing hatches.

Petter Solberg pretty much put his foot up subaru's *** so they cold give him the hatch to compete in. He, in particular wanted a car with less overhang in the rear and the round proportions made it more aerodynamic for rallying.

Subaru not having won a championship in rally or been competitive complied and gave him along with the other rally contingent there hatch.
Unfortunately the next year Subaru stuck it's foot up Petter's *** by pulling out of rally altogether.

The hatch is currently the vehicle subaru's providing for any sponsored rally comps.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Crester
No kidding. Next someone is going to tell me the fatty bench seating is WRC inspired.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
No kidding. Next someone is going to tell me the fatty bench seating is WRC inspired.
lol. USDM touch. Seriously, WRC cars, citroen and focus, are "hatchbacks" now, but I don't know if the suspension softness is really ready for off-road. At least I know the X is ready for tarmac. Oh, that I can vouch for!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rashid.4v
The hatch didn't just come about for mass appeal, particularly when you consider that the US market supposedly hates wagons and hatches.

The hatch may have some mainstream consideration in it's design but the big push came from the rally drivers who claimed the hatch dimensions would give them a more overall competitive rally car. All the other winning teams were pushing hatches.

Petter Solberg pretty much put his foot up subaru's *** so they cold give him the hatch to compete in. He, in particular wanted a car with less overhang in the rear and the round proportions made it more aerodynamic for rallying.

Subaru not having won a championship in rally or been competitive complied and gave him along with the other rally contingent there hatch.
Unfortunately the next year Subaru stuck it's foot up Petter's *** by pulling out of rally altogether.

The hatch is currently the vehicle subaru's providing for any sponsored rally comps.

So yall think Subie will NEVER return to WRC? Me, I was thinking it was just hunkering down during the crappy economic downturn for 10 years or so, and would want to return when things pick back up again. I could be wrong, betting on the economy has not been my strong point -- whatever stocks I have invested in have gone down and never come back up (sadly, the companies also have never folded, had one acquired by Oracle after it languished for years)
Old Aug 3, 2010, 10:27 AM
Evolved Member

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...molgation.html
Old Aug 3, 2010, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by journeymansteve
So yall think Subie will NEVER return to WRC?
No. I think they will return, however I hear Toyota wants to get back into it too. Now that Toyota owns a significant portion of Subaru and they are collaborating on at least one project, I wonder if that could help or hinder Subaru if/when they do decide to go back.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

How long is Toyota banned from WRC for?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by journeymansteve
lol. USDM touch. Seriously, WRC cars, citroen and focus, are "hatchbacks" now, but I don't know if the suspension softness is really ready for off-road. At least I know the X is ready for tarmac. Oh, that I can vouch for!
I don't know about this hatchback for WRC thing either? Yes some of the other good cars are hatchbacks... but they are small 2-door hatchbacks... not bloated 5-door models...

Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
At least it has a real engine. The EJ207 has a bigger turbo, is much more robust, and redlines a full 1800rpm higher!

The EJ257 we get is junk in comparison. The turbos spool slowly, particularly if you convert then to front mount intercooler, with tons of spool lag post shifts. The beauty of an EJ207 is that it can utilize power better because it has a much greater operating range.

I would not throw out my car, but I would actually buy an STI with an EJ207. I won't even consider an EJ257. I don't know why we get jipped with that big crummy engine.
You have to admit though the EJ257 sounds soooooo much better than the Evo with a turbo back, especially under boost. Its ridiculous how aggressive it is! Everything you said is dead on though....

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread