Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:25 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
You have to admit though the EJ257 sounds soooooo much better than the Evo with a turbo back, especially under boost. Its ridiculous how aggressive it is!
Hard to tell; they're always behind us.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL. But seriously the last GD STi I drove was pretty amazing. Handled like a Buick but it was a riot to drive.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:35 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by ToddMcF2002
You have to admit though the EJ257 sounds soooooo much better than the Evo with a turbo back, especially under boost. Its ridiculous how aggressive it is! Everything you said is dead on though....
I could not disagree more.
I owned a WRX with a turboback exhaust. Once, my friend told me it sounded like an angry pig that went "butt-butt-butt-butt".

I think EJs sound like Harleys, which is a trainwreck to my ears. Loud? Slow? Must be a Harley. A 4G63 or 4B11 with a large turbo spinning to 8k is a symphony to me. Inline > Boxer. If I had an EJ207, I'd have an equal length header conversion on it inside of a week to de-Harley it.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, Subies sound like Harley's (not in a good way)...
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Remixx02
I agree, Subies sound like Harley's (not in a good way)...
The obnoxious sound caters to the young kids which is why the WRX is so popular amongst teenagers. I personally don't like the sound of it but then again I've never heard a 4 cylinder engine that sounded great.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All the STi's in this year's X-games all failed to get to the final round on Rally X. Lol fail for subaru this year. Only Mitsubishi and Ford made it to the end.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 06:55 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by heavyD
but then again I've never heard a 4 cylinder engine that sounded great.
Let us cure that. I am PMing you a link. We can't post it here, but I am interested to see if this sound changes your mind.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by raytrix
All the STi's in this year's X-games all failed to get to the final round on Rally X. Lol fail for subaru this year. Only Mitsubishi and Ford made it to the end.
LOL you should see the big thread at NASIOC on this competition. They are all having a meltdown calling the event a joke, blaming the track and whining that the Fords have an advantage. I agree it wasn't perfect but even if it was the Subarus would actually have to run to finish let alone win the event. This generation has not been kind to the STi as the EVO has just owned them everywhere.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
Let us cure that. I am PMing you a link. We can't post it here, but I am interested to see if this sound changes your mind.
Thanks. I'll play it when I get home from work.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:01 AM
Evolving Member

does anyone think any evo looked GOOD in the event? i dont think so.

Ford stole the show.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SubieEvoGuy
does anyone think any evo looked GOOD in the event? i dont think so.

Ford stole the show.
Nope but the cars finished and the EVO has really evolved into more of a track car than rally car so it's nice to see them medal in rally.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
I'd love to hear that too, can you PM me? My SCCA/BMW instructor says he loves my 4 cyl tone with the wide open TBE system I have, and I've gotten more than a few "country boys" locally tell me the think mine makes an awesome sound. If they only realized that it's a 4 banger, they'd probably have to stop hanging around the local beer/gas station for embarassment!
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:00 AM
EvoM Administrator

It actually was on this site before. It is the AMS Evo VIII on the streets of Chicago. Its not technically street racing, but they are going very, very fast on the street, and I don't want to break the site rules by posting the video in a thread.

Go to youtube and look this up: oVF8jAuzjS4
Fast forward it to 1 minute and 2 seconds, and tell me it doesn't sound stupendous.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by heavyD
LOL you should see the big thread at NASIOC on this competition. They are all having a meltdown calling the event a joke, blaming the track and whining that the Fords have an advantage. I agree it wasn't perfect but even if it was the Subarus would actually have to run to finish let alone win the event. This generation has not been kind to the STi as the EVO has just owned them everywhere.

But you have to be fair though. The track did suck and all the drivers admitted it to some extent. Foust almost got redflagged off because he stayed on the course a little too long after his initial race. The chick that was riding w/ him said he needed the little recon becuase he was somewhat confused.

I don't think a blind 180 degree turn into a very narrow setion coming from an uphill is a good idea. About five cars stalled out there.
Then there's the mechanical issues. Yes the subarus broke, but we should all know there's no compairing that car to a stocker. The tuning company had about two wks to prep the cars and the drivers never really tested the final product until x-games. If you look at Mira's first run, he's messing around with the shifter as something was wrong before he even started, you can see him talking into his mic saying something.
The subies were essentially wrc prepped, meaning way overpowered for that course, nearly 500hp I think they said. The tranny was a sequential dogbox 5speed, nothing stock.

I'm not making excuses per sé, but the subie drivers got ****ed by their cars and the track(you'll notice they bog down in a few places, likely due to the hi hp output), along with more than a few other guys too, through confusion issues. Something's wrong when there were only two complete races leading to the finals.
Look at the super rally, only one guy made the jump because the drivers were confused as to exactly when they were supposed to take it.
I was rooting for the evos personally but I wanted to see the subies and I'm definitely more of a fan of Pastrana and Mira more than anyone else there. I was disappointed in the evo's wins as most of it's success was due to the opponent failures rather than outright bragging rights performance.
I wouldn't quite call it whining or *****ing when there's legitimate issues. Buuut… winnings, winning though.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I've read the track conditions were hard on all the drivers because it was so confusing - so that worked against all of them equally. The Subies were the only cars that broke though, so bringing a WRC prepped car or not seems moot.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread