Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the Evo X was a nice car, but i've decided to wait for the 09 STI to become discounted. Coming from a 335i i found both car's performance underwhelming, but in the end this is something I need to use everyday and i can def see myself running into problems with the Evo X's pathetic trunk and lack of a pass through. Sure the STI is soft as hell and has a lot of body roll stock, but its nothing a couple suspension mods can't fix.

You seem to be like me, little or no mods. I'm sure in stock form both cars will last a long time, it all depends on how you drive it.

Oh I was considering an used 06-07 STI for awhile, but the great deals on the Evo X and 0% finiancing it's a no brainer pick. Since you already have an 06 STI, I just don't think the Evo X is worth it for an upgrade. Of course this is based off of whats best for a daily driver, not a track machine. Even on the track the 06-07 STI is still good. It all depends on what your priorities are and what you want to compromise on.

In the end I may say hell with both cars and go back to a 335i or save for an m3.

Last edited by TheLegend; Jun 3, 2009 at 02:35 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evorider1
So I've been thinking alot lately and I've been wanting to trade in my 2006 STI + cash for an EVO X MR, im just worried about the reliability on the EVO X, are they any good? I know nothing about EVO so I'm new to this world.

I got 48 000 miles on my STI and so far ive had zero problems with it, bulletproof transmission and no turboproblems whatsoever.

I've heard that the EVO 9 MR transmissions are weak, how are the EVO X MR transmissions?

Sorry for bad English.

Thanks
ix mr tranny is as weak as the sti's engine

it's not weak
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TheLegend
the Evo X was a nice car, but i've decided to wait for the 09 STI to become discounted. Coming from a 335i i found both car's performance underwhelming, but in the end this is something I need to use everyday and i can def see myself running into problems with the Evo X's pathetic trunk and lack of a pass through. Sure the STI is soft as hell and has a lot of body roll stock, but its nothing a couple suspension mods can't fix.

In the end I may say hell with both cars and go back to a 335i or save for an m3.
Why not get an '08 STi? The Evo VIII had just as much body roll stock and it isn't a problem, it still handles amazingly.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck on you're decision.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
well after reading everyone's comments I have to chime in as I came from an 07 STi myself and I'd like to help the OP make a sound decision and not a biased one like a few people have posted(don't get angry anyone, most of you gave good unbiased information for him).

Of course I did not buy a X but I did test drive a X GSR and MR and drove the GSR for 2 days.... (don't ask please I wont elaborate).

In comparison to the STi, the X... GSR or MR, are alot nicer of a car interior and exterior wise. Everything from the seats to the nice Aero kit and aggressive exterior of the X is just years ahead of any STi... Again this is a matter of opinion but I think the average person out there will say the EVO X is a nicer looking car than the STi.

With what you have planned for the X... wheels, exhaust, and suspension mods, you will be very happy with it and amazed how aggressive the car looks once you go to an aggressive wheel set up. The X is extremely eye candy once lowered and with a nice aggressive set up. Just check the aggressive wheel thread here, theres a specific one to the X.

Of course, like a few people said here, go test drive both cars and see which X is best for you. As this is important depending on where you live and your driving preferences. I am a bit older and live in the DC area so I would not mind an Auto Tranny as shifting gears in DC area traffic just blows.

As for the tranny I wouldn't worry. Like someone also said, if you do not plan on making serious HP increases than don't worry about it.

Concentrate on selling your STi and then tackle the next task of finding an EVO X for a good price even if you have to go to another state to buy one. I bought my IX MR with 9k miles stock for $23,500 6 months ago in Kentucky and it was worth the trip.

I hope this helps your decision. Good luck
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by izzyevo
trade it!

:-)

Omg...lots of used Subie on this Mitsu dealer parking lot! Love the pics...lol !!!

Last edited by Jimyumi; Jun 3, 2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
In comparison to the STi, the X... GSR or MR, are alot nicer of a car interior and exterior wise. Everything from the seats to the nice Aero kit and aggressive exterior of the X is just years ahead of any STi... Again this is a matter of opinion but I think the average person out there will say the EVO X is a nicer looking car than the STi.
Don't forget to note that that is comparing the X to your 2007 STi. The GRs are right on par with the X, and with some of the things (IMO) ahead of it, though with some things behind it as well (I, for one, would like that center display with all the fancy information on it that the Xs have, but that's because I was used to that from the Porsche).
Old Jun 3, 2009, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Why not get an '08 STi? The Evo VIII had just as much body roll stock and it isn't a problem, it still handles amazingly.
I'd love to, I couldn't find any new 08 black left w/ bbs, I missed out on the 08 sti deals 8k and 0% finiancing cause they raped me on my trade in with my 335i at the time. Now that I've gotten rid of my 335i I'm hoping they will run a similar deal on the 09s at the end of this year.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Good luck on your hunt for an STI... meanwhile check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqBnjTTZLM
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

I imagine they will do something very similar, I too was angry I missed out on the deals on the new '08s. But with the money I saved on getting a better deal on my trade by waiting and by buying one that had 7k miles on it it worked out about even.

Originally Posted by tipoytm
Good luck on your hunt for an STI... meanwhile check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MqBnjTTZLM
How many times do you think you can post that? Now if it was by a credible magazine company or something, that'd be cool but this looks like it was done by my 16 year old sister. And all it is is another one of those "Evo vs STi" thread in video form...
Old Jun 3, 2009, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

^ lol I meant no offense. I'm sure STIs are great cars, and I was also considering it when those 08 deals came out. But I did a lot of research and knew what I really wanted... in the end, the wait paid off. :-)

You do know those are real reviews/comments, right?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

^ lol I meant no offense. I'm sure STIs are great cars, and I was also considering it when those 08 deals came out. But I did a lot of research and knew what I really wanted... in the end, the wait paid off. :-)

You do know those are real reviews/comments, right?
Yeah I do know they are, and they'll all opinion based ones, and I took no offense just making sure people don't get to carried away here.. I drove both cars and disagree with most of the reviews. But the main reason I chose the STi this time around is this and looks (I like the new STi hatch looks, a lot don't, it's personal pref):

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ega-merge.html

The video makes it sound like the Evo X blows the STi out of the water, and from driving 2 GSRs and an MR and my current car I can definitely say that isn't true. While I don't disrespect the Xs at all, they are great cars (as are the other Evos and STis) I mainly chose the STi over the X for looks (because I wanted a new car, a IX was out of the question). And then the warranty issues I had in the past with the VIII were the swing vote that got me to pay the extra on the used '08 STi over a new '08 X (which really wasn't much difference 28k 6% interest vs 30k 0% interest. I plan to pay it off fast enough the 6% won't matter much, and my dp was over 10k)

Last edited by UT_Evo; Jun 3, 2009 at 07:10 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

^ I agree with you, when someone wants to buy a car... it has to be the car that you really want. At the time you got the car, you wanted the STI and now you have it. For me, I've always wanted to get an Evo eversince I saw the VIIIs. But being married, I dismissed the idea of getting one because my wife refuses to drive stick. After 5 years of buying the wrong cars (and trading in), I finally convinced my wife to let me get my "dream car".

Make sure you get what you really want, don't just buy it cuz of this and that... listen to what your heart tells you. Else, you lose thousands of $$$ trading a car everytime something "nicer" comes out. Learned that the hard way.

Last edited by tipoytm; Jun 3, 2009 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 07:28 PM
Evolved Member

Make sure you get what you really want, don't just buy it cuz of this and that... listen to what your heart tells you. Else, you lose thousands of $$$ trading a car everytime something "nicer" comes out. Learned that the hard way.
Couldn't have said it better, that's why I said in one of the early posts to just go buy the car.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 08:07 PM

Definitely true, wise words to go by. That's why I'm going with the STI, the all around do everything car. The Evo X is a sick looking car, the more I look at it the more I like it, but the 5-speed, and lack of trunk space combined with the lack of a pass thru is just compromises I'm not willing to make.

In the distant future Ill get an M3 and still have a nice daily driver around for all of life's chores.

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread