Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread

Hey guys, there seems to be a new Evo vs. STI thread weekly. I have merged them all, and will leave this thread to be one big catch all since this topic comes up again and again.

-Noize

Last edited by Noize; Jul 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 03:20 PM

True, but I still thinking this is worth talking about. I have owned several Suby's with no real big issues. I try to drive smartly and not kill my cars either...but outside that what about the other issues here like Fit and Finish....electrical systems....the rubber seals around doors....paint etc.

I am on the line about buying one mainly because of my very limited experiance with as a company and the quality of their products. I really would like to know more because I want to use the X as a Daily Driver and not just a toy. I love the idea of an X but I would like some feedback on guys who know these cars ,mainly the 8 and 9 with miles under the belt and just Mitu's in general and the company's track record on this...And this is a guy that wants to convert
Old Mar 9, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

I've owned a 8 and a 9 and never had any issues with either one. My 8 was nicely modded and never abused. I think the new owner has about 75,000 miles on it and still hasn't had any issues with the car. I never had any paint issues with my 8 simply cause I kept it garaged and I waxed it religously. There were some issues with the Brembo's fading and the clear on the c/f wing fading and cracking, but Mitsu replaced or fixed the problems on the newer cars. I haven't seen a 9 with any of those issues.

As far as being reliable. The car is rock solid if itd treated and mantained right. I don't have any experience on the X though so sorry.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 06:58 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rocko
how reliable are the evo compare to the sti
Are you talking about the Evo X? New engine, new tranny, new AWD system and all the electronic gadgets. Much too early to tell the reliability of the car.

The STI should be pretty much as reliable as previous generations since it's the same engine, drivetrain and AWD system.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^ Yes, I agree that Subaru has had a better track record of quality than Mitsu, although Mitsu has come up to par I think in recent years. I used to own a 2004 STi, and I gotta say that my new X blows it away in build quality. Everything from the feel of the buttons to the solid air tight seal the doors make when they close. The chassis feels far more solid, and the quality of the suspension and the tuning of the spring and damper rates are also far better. My STi had the notorious "strut clunk" from the rear end, and it just screamed "flimsy piece of junk." even though it certainly wasn't. Even Subies have their problems, as mine did, and the wrx that I owned before that had tranny issues, like getting locked out of first and trouble getting into reverse. Hell, even BMWs have the same type of crap on brand new cars as well. The only thing wrong with the EVO X in my opinion is the notchy shifting when driving around town. No car is perfect, and I think that the trade off of shifter feel compared with the STi's is more than worth it for what seems to be better overall build quality, and FAR GREATER PERFORMANCE. You should sell your STi and get a X, it's the better car by far. The handling alone is where it not only beats the STi, but embarasses it. Oh and I don't know what you mean by the X having surging issues, never heard that and don't think that it's accurate. The stalling issue seems to me to only be the first batch sent to the US, because I got the second wave that were sent to the east coast, and mine has no issues whatsoever. Mitsu has anounced that a reflash will be available soon and will address many of the issues that have been reported. Oh and for the record, the new STi has far worse paint issues because it has the same problem with the rear fender being so wide that it's in stream of the front tires.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Realistically there are VERY few issues with the STI or the Evo. The VAST majority of the problems come from owner abuse and sucky paint.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Search using the word "problem" here and on iwsti and nasioc.

You may not like what you see.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by STi2EvoX
^ Yes, I agree that Subaru has had a better track record of quality than Mitsu, although Mitsu has come up to par I think in recent years. I used to own a 2004 STi, and I gotta say that my new X blows it away in build quality. Everything from the feel of the buttons to the solid air tight seal the doors make when they close. The chassis feels far more solid, and the quality of the suspension and the tuning of the spring and damper rates are also far better. My STi had the notorious "strut clunk" from the rear end, and it just screamed "flimsy piece of junk." even though it certainly wasn't. Even Subies have their problems, as mine did, and the wrx that I owned before that had tranny issues, like getting locked out of first and trouble getting into reverse. Hell, even BMWs have the same type of crap on brand new cars as well. The only thing wrong with the EVO X in my opinion is the notchy shifting when driving around town. No car is perfect, and I think that the trade off of shifter feel compared with the STi's is more than worth it for what seems to be better overall build quality, and FAR GREATER PERFORMANCE. You should sell your STi and get a X, it's the better car by far. The handling alone is where it not only beats the STi, but embarasses it. Oh and I don't know what you mean by the X having surging issues, never heard that and don't think that it's accurate. The stalling issue seems to me to only be the first batch sent to the US, because I got the second wave that were sent to the east coast, and mine has no issues whatsoever. Mitsu has anounced that a reflash will be available soon and will address many of the issues that have been reported. Oh and for the record, the new STi has far worse paint issues because it has the same problem with the rear fender being so wide that it's in stream of the front tires.
This sounds like you are comparing the X to your 04 STI. In many respects, the 08 STI will blow away your 04: certainly in build quality and solid feel. Just a reminder that only apples-to-apples means anything here.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:06 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Top Gear - Sunday 6/29 (S11 E02) - Evo Vs. STi revisited

First up, Jeremy renews the age-old Subaru/Mitsubishi battle - fought for many centuries across the supermarket car parks and high streets of the Home Counties - by pitting the Evo X against the new and suspiciously hatch-like Impreza STi. Who's your money on?
For those of us not in the UK the rip should be released shortly after the show finishes airing in the usual places. I've got money on the Evo.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:08 AM
Evolved Member

Jeremy already stated in his Times review that he loved the Evo and found the STi to be a bore.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:33 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Jeremy already stated in his Times review that he loved the Evo and found the STi to be a bore.
Loved it so much his wife was going to buy one.... Looking forward to see what numbers it puts down on the TG track though.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's on BBC (not BBC America) or FinalGear.com
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:15 PM

I have to say after reading Jeremy's review on the car, i was at a loss for words. He described it so charismatically. Definitely sounds like one of his favorite reviews.
(man i cant wait to get 1!!!)
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xrated400
I have to say after reading Jeremy's review on the car, i was at a loss for words. He described it so charismatically. Definitely sounds like one of his favorite reviews.
(man i cant wait to get 1!!!)
Yea the GSR is fun to drive so great holding the power in your hand at every shift!
Old Jan 4, 2009, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X and STI drifting.

Don't know if this is a repost, sorry if it is, but I don't think it is though. Well It's the evo x drifting with the new STI. Looks like fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kz_pcEMfET4

Quick Reply: Evo (CZ4A) versus STI (GR) mega merge thread