Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

The 'X' has shattered my perfect 'Subaru World'

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 'X' has shattered my perfect 'Subaru World'

Well first post ever on an EVO site. I've been 'trapped' in life of Subaru since forever...an XT-4 Turbo, XT-6, RX Turbo, RS, 2 WRX' and one STi. Everyone around here drives a S u b a r u. Modding? lol just look at my credit card debt . Funny thing is after a zillion laps at RENO/Fernley race park and bunches of Auto X I could never get any of those cars to really 'turn' like I wanted. Call it sluggish or understeer it never was that much 'fun' to drive. Everything else about Subies I love...especially how it goes in the snow with studded snows

I envy my EVO freinds and the ease that they scorch the twisties..Total respect for sure AND we get along no problem. I drove both the 8 and 9 and they killed at that track....just not a good car for me per se. The roads around our parts are def' not EVO freindly. I was dying for someone to come out with a true AWD all around performer. 335i...meh $$. Mazda....meh looks like an STi...R32 AWD> uh no hatchbacks please and so on. The new STi? no comment except that we've had prettier sheep on our ranch than that car

THEN the X came....and guess what I'm in love. Smitten. 2 test drives and I'm done. Got to have one. All my subie 'freinds' are chapped and my EVO buddies are just smiiiiiling like crazy lol. Soon it will be mine....yes it will be mine. Maybe not an SST (wont' buy the 1st year of that but make no mistake I WANT that gearbox) but probably the manual and the full base model in WW. No sst or extras and the small wing. No need for NAV in the desert and I'll do my own stereo thank you

Here are some pics of the 2nd test drive up the Mount Rose Highway with the crazy salesman who beat my possible WW X. I let him drive first to get a feel from the passenger side (for the girl). What an idiot he was. 3rd day on the job and he says as soon as we get clear of the dealer 'now lets have some fun' and just romp and stomps' on it. redline in the first 3 gears....car had 14 miles on the clock and was barely warm. I say back it down freind...no need to abuse a brand new motor.

The first pic is the "salesman" who whooped up on my possible car . I hate him for beating on a new car but appreciated him for letting me drive the 5000 vertical ft twisting road to Mount Rose (summit is 10k). Great drive. Tight switchbacks, long 270's and plenty of S turns for 15 miles each way. Teh X really shined. Total balance and nil understeer. Turns with insane ease at speed and made my fully suspended Ohlin WRX seem like a 3 legged racing turtle. ONLY gripe was the weird 'click' upshifting between 1/2 and 2/3 in the manual. Not sure what that's all about. The car rides surprisingly smooth on rougher roads and was fairly quiet inside at speed... End of story and now I must sell my car to get one. I have a buyer so it shouldn't be long. sorry for the long post

Salesman Joe:

Galena Ski Resort, Nevada in the background. Check out that blue blue Sierra sky

My current vehicle and my next vehicle

Last edited by MooseX; Mar 9, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:00 PM

"Ditto"

Nice pics and my first post as well. I am a diehard Suby fan also. I currently drive a 2006 WRX in South FL. I live right down the street from a Subaru/Mitsubishi/Lincoln/Suzuki all in one dealer in Delray Beach FL. This morning after I got off work I drove down before they opened and walked the lot in peace. They had 2 Sti's and 7 GSR's on the lot. The Sti's had a $6k markup over MSRP and all 7 Evo's where at MSRP. All but 1 Evo had the SSS package. The Evo looks so much better than the Sti. Just seeing them side by side has swayed me to the Evo as my next car no contest. Sorry Subaru

Now I just need to sell/trade in my 06...
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Subie messed up with the new body and all. I just can't see me in a hatch back of any sort. I give up. The 'Handling' of the X is where it's at for me. I' wont be looking for big power just fast lap times and a DD that competes. EVO X' I believe will fill that need...and it looks/drives great to me. I'm sure the STi is the bomb to some. Personally I need a change and the X is the candidate I'm voting for...

Last edited by MooseX; Mar 9, 2008 at 11:08 PM.
Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice choice
Old Mar 9, 2008, 11:43 PM
Evolving Member

^ The only choice in my eyes. I'll spend the extra $$ this time and get what I really want.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 04:40 AM
Evolved Member

yea that new sti seems to be turning alot of people away and even the base wrx I think will be hurt after the ralliart apprears.... Good choice on the X and that I a gorgeous background

Ps- I'd have to fire one of my salesman if they drove a new car like that !!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 05:07 AM

Good luck on being the future owner of a Evo. It is a great car and after test driving one myself I am made my final decision on buying a X. Not a Suby fan..but was on the fence on buying a a IX this year or a X.

From all the Evo vs Sti comparison test on the mags...the hands down favorite has been the Evo X. The Suby still suffers from bad understeer while the Evo has been able to abolish it.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 06:52 AM
Evolved Member

Hey man.. I had the Subi when it first came out in 02.. LOVED it.. Beat it up, and she loved it.. Never had a problem.. BUT, the EVO came out in 03, and since I had turbo DSM's since 93, I HAD to have it.. So I'm still in love and the X-MR will be mine.. After the first year of course.. Welcome to the funny farm..

BTW, it's 80 degrees here.. That's right, envy us South Fl folk... Hahaha..
Old Mar 10, 2008, 07:07 AM

That's... kinda weird. I was literally down there looking at those exact same cars at Allison Mitsu yesterday. The WW X also really impressed me.

I may be going with an IX or an VIII however; there are some great deals down in Sacramento. ~$20,000 for a car with 9,000 miles. Hope you like the X, I haven't got to test drive one yet.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 08:45 AM
Evolving Member

So these are pictures of your "potential" evo? lol I think this might be a first.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Shahul X
yea that new sti seems to be turning alot of people away and even the base wrx I think will be hurt after the ralliart apprears.... Good choice on the X and that I a gorgeous background

Ps- I'd have to fire one of my salesman if they drove a new car like that !!
Well at first I wasn't going to able to drive it because the 'detail guy' somehow left will all the 'X' keys and was not coming back until the apocalypse... lol. Sure . I said OK I'd wait hehe. AND somehow 10 minutes later he came up with a 'spare emergency key'. Seeing how they were so worried about anyone driving the X I assured him that I was NOT going to drive it hard...just wanted to see how it handled AND if I got out of line to just smack me upside the head

I almost went into shock when he decided 'Lets' have some fun' and nailed it...whoa . I knew right away I would not be buying this particular car and I might have to seek out another dealer. Who the heck does that to a brand 14 mile' new semi cold motor??? unreal. He was a pretty nice guy though besides being a totally irresponsiblbe fool. Said he came from some Dodge dealer down the way and all. When we got back he had me loop around the back to check out his pumped mid 90's 5 litre 'Stang. Does mid 11's he says LOL

Last edited by MooseX; Mar 10, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:15 AM
Account Disabled

seems like alot of suby guys are coming over to evos!!
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ggevoIX
seems like alot of suby guys are coming over to evos!!

yep. but there are still plenty of my subie brethren trying to poop on my party about the whole deal. They are just so totally into their cars and nothing, no other brand make will do. Me? I've never been totally brand loyal to anyone it's just that Subies made a lot of sense to me 'cause I live adjacent to the snow.

Bottom line is the handling. I threw everything at those cars...several coilovers, Koni, Ohlin, Tein, KW,,,millions of spring combos, sways and sways, ALK, Roll kits, re revalves $$, corner balance whew . Took me to the bank and back. Never got it right. This time I feel I'm starting out with a platform with tons of potential
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

beating the sh*t out of an evo that is not yours...FTL...salesman joe should know better
Old Mar 10, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Congrats bro! The new X truly is a piece of work.

Quick Reply: The 'X' has shattered my perfect 'Subaru World'