Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results

Hey guys,

I though I'd share. I have installed a boost gauge, Buschur boost controller and Buschur Air filter. I have some incredible results.

Boost gauge:

Install: I struggled with this for weeks. I asked around and never really found a permanent location I was happy with. I really didn't want to mod the interior to much. So, I decided to install the gauge in the fuse cover drop down door. I simply used a rubber band to hold the gauge to the door. The door is still fully functional. With the door up, the only indication of anything different is a rubber band. After all my years of tuning/racing DSM's, I have found that you really only need the boost gauge during racing/tuning/troubleshooting. It’s not necessary in Daily driving.

Buschur Air Filter:

Install: Piece of cake. Really! Simply remove the two 10mm bolts that attach the air box to the intake pipe, remove one 10mm bolt in the lower right hand corner of the airbox and then the two plastic push pins that hold down the air scoop. I then decided to KISS by simply removing the back half of the air box, yet maintaining the front half in order to ensure a good supply of fresh cold air to the filter. I did not use the aluminum bracket to steady the filter that Buschur provides.

Results: Wow, it is quite apparent immediately how restrictive the stock filtering system is. The suction sound from the new filter is amazingly strong.
Since I completed this mod with the boost controller, I cannot speak on the HP benefits of this mod by itself.

Buschur Boost Controller:

Install: Again, cake! It took me 30 minutes, and most of that was getting back there to reach the oem hoses and remove them. I did not remove any hardware (IC pipes) or anything else to do this. The oem hoses are really on there...I swear they must of used hair spray when they originally installed them. I removed the oem hoses from the WGA and the Turbo outlet, while leaving the third end connected to the solenoids. I then simply zip tied these to the strut bar so that I wouldn't have to hunt for them in the event the car needed to be brought back in to the dealer. I also zip tied the BC to the strut bar as well. One side note on the Buschur boost controller, I bought the inline ceramic version for $95. While it is a nice piece, it's a little scary as there is no lock nut to "lock" in the setting and the mechanism turns VERY easily. I am afraid that vibration/car movement might inadvertently rotate the BC resulting in higher/lower boost.

Results: Amazing! I have NEVER seen a boost controller set to the factor boost have an effect like this. Before the boost would drop to 13psi by redline...now it hold 19psi to redline. The seat of the pants difference is dramatic. The damn car pulls like a freight train all the way to redline. I do feel a little knock as it spikes to 24psi.

Overall results...Simply Amazing!!!! This is by far the first mod you should do! $160 and it feels 75hp stronger.
Attached Thumbnails My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-003.jpg   My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-004.jpg   My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-005.jpg   My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-010.jpg   My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-011.jpg  

Last edited by tsitalon1; Mar 11, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-013.jpg   My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results-evo-upgrade_af-bc-014.jpg  
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have trouble seeing the boost gauge while driving?
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:20 PM

I can't wait to go for a spin to see the difference.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Do you have trouble seeing the boost gauge while driving?

Yes and no. I didn't really mount it there for daily viewing. It is only there for tuning/racing/troubleshooting.

I can see it, but I have to look down.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evolved360
I can't wait to go for a spin to see the difference.
no doubt
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:28 PM

Very nice job I believe your the first to show a smart location for the boost gauge. And i agree with you, you only need the gauge will tunning. Also good idea to leave the front part of the air box. I wonder if its possible to chop up the back part and put it on for extra stealth? Good work dude.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DC5->EVO
Very nice job I believe your the first to show a smart location for the boost gauge. And i agree with you, you only need the gauge will tunning. Also good idea to leave the front part of the air box. I wonder if its possible to chop up the back part and put it on for extra stealth? Good work dude.
Thanks!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

Looks nice.....good job!
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did you got a MBC or a EBC. And whats the fully name of it. I am just cerious cuz you said it only tammpered down to 19 and every other tuning person said it tammpered down to 16-17 like AMS. thanks
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:35 PM

sop the car is doing around 370 hp?

considering the stock 1/4 mile time about 13.5 seconds.....
with this upgrade we can wait a 13'' or 12'' high seconds....?
Old Mar 12, 2008, 02:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
NICE parts, nice writeup, and nice pics!
Old Mar 12, 2008, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice nice hopefully you can pick up some big gains
Old Mar 12, 2008, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by xandi911
sop the car is doing around 370 hp?

considering the stock 1/4 mile time about 13.5 seconds.....
with this upgrade we can wait a 13'' or 12'' high seconds....?
Where'd you come up with that?? He hasn't posted before and after dyno sheets...he just said it feels stronger.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 05:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kdogg71
Where'd you come up with that?? He hasn't posted before and after dyno sheets...he just said it feels stronger.
Thats correct. It feels stronger...MUCH stronger...I haven't taken the car to the track due to it's pathetic clucth setup. I would venture to GUESS that it's a 13.2 car now. Btw...I said GUESS please don't ask for time slips

Quick Reply: My Buschur AF and Boost controller install - Results