Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

E39 M5 or Evo X decision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess I should clarify a little bit.... for me and others that are in my situation. I don't really forsee myself tracking a car... it's too expensive for me to track both a motorcycle and a car at the same time, so I'll stick with my bike. I've invested too much time and money into that side of life already. So a trackday car like an Elise or GT3 is kind of rediculous... and you can't really get one for ~$30,000. However, if the curiousity bug bites me then if I had an Evo X and wanted to try it out, I'd be set. (I have a modified WRX wagon sitting in my garage as well that I've had since '02... all it needs are some proper brakes for track duty)

I bet that 97% of Evo drivers don't attend trackday or autocross events. Most are likely to go to drag strips. There's nothing wrong with that, that's just a reality. So, with keeping that in mind, choosing between a $32K M5 and a $32K Evo is a hard one. I want a car that can kick *** on the highway and back roads and carry itself in a respectable way at the same time. The new Evo may be able to do that, I know the M5 can.

With my old M Coupe, I got all kinds of curious looks followed by happy thumb ups from people on the road, at parking lots, and gas stations. It was nice. People didn't think I was a snob or a punk kid... people just saw me as a guy that drove a cool car... or "aren't you that guy that drives that cool BMW thing?... what is that?" I enjoyed talking to them about the rare M Coupe. They asked for rides occasionally and I was happy to give them out.

With my old Evo IX, I got all kinds of *******s that hovered around me as I drove down the road. It sucked. People tried to race me constantly. Sometimes I gave in and it was fun, but mostly I felt that a cop was ready to pounce out of the darkness or out of the bush that he was hiding behind. I got pulled over once for 58 in a 55. I had just pulled onto the highway from an on ramp. The cop was suprised to see who was driving the Evo... a Marine officer. He let me go and said "try not to kill yourself with this thing". These kind of instances led me to sell the Evo. I loved the performance, but hated the stigma that comes with it.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

The same stigma drove me away from the Evo and into a 911. After 4 years, I'm back in the Evo; they're simply too much fun to drive. The German cars have superior build quality and attract less unwanted attention but they also come with high running costs. Personally, I find most modern European cars to lack the charm of their counterparts of 15-20 years ago. They're too compromised as they attempt to appeal to a large audience. The Evo, even in its current "more civilized" form, is still a focused performance car that is always a blast to drive, even if a 17 year-old in his Civic is waiting at every stoplight to race you.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I agree with you MrBonus. The older BMW's and Porsches had so much more character. If I was a trackday junkie, I would consider a 4-door E36 M3 or the like. I don't mind working on my cars, but I sure dont' like it when they break down on me. My old M Coupe had it's issues, but none were bad enough to leave me scratching my head on the side of the road... and it had warranty. BMW service is head over heels better than everybody else. Well, other than the other German makes... I'm sure that Porsche and Merc dealers are nice as well until you see the bill. If you're out of warranty, this nice side of the service world can really suck.

With the Evo X, it peaks my interest with it's capabilities, technology, and functionality. Nothing is added for looks alone. Every scoop, vent, lip, diffuser, etc is there for pure function. That I love. It's almost worth dealing with the silly kids and cops again.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

I think you have chosen two good cars. If you want a Luxury sports car that is 5+ years old go with it. If you want a economy car on steroids get the evo. They are really only comparable in a few areas.... 4 door sedans, fast straight line, great brakes, great steering. Listening to you get the M5 and enjoy it I think it will suit you better on what you are saying you want. Good luck
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I guess I should clarify a little bit.... for me and others that are in my situation. I don't really forsee myself tracking a car... it's too expensive for me to track both a motorcycle and a car at the same time, so I'll stick with my bike. I've invested too much time and money into that side of life already. So a trackday car like an Elise or GT3 is kind of rediculous... and you can't really get one for ~$30,000. However, if the curiousity bug bites me then if I had an Evo X and wanted to try it out, I'd be set. (I have a modified WRX wagon sitting in my garage as well that I've had since '02... all it needs are some proper brakes for track duty).
Sounds like you just stated the E39M5 is the best choice for you! Hell I raced motorcycles - decades ago was an AMA pro, and autos suck (short of true downforce formula type) compared to bikes on a track. Even in my old age like to drag a knee or two.

They are really only comparable in a few areas.... 4 door sedans, fast straight line, great brakes, great steering.

Dude - BMW brakes suck - single (rarely 2) piston always floating calipre - as soon as suspension is modified - it sucks too as it's designed to understeer like a pig - brakes are immediately in need of modifying.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports
Old Mar 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

E39 M5 RING TAXI at Nurburgring with Sabine

I wonder what mods are on Sabine's old M5. It doesn't seem to understeer much at all. She can enter a corner at a steady state and it tracks fine... oversteer is just a touch of the go pedal or a flick away. I know that she could probably post a better lap time if she was in an Evo X, but who knows. The M5 looks like a blast.

Edit: I wish we could get a hold of the testing video that Mitsubishi did with the Evo X on the Ring. That would be nice to see.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Mar 16, 2008 at 11:18 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:03 PM

I regularly take students out in the wagon - like 4 students plus me - and we lap at least as good as most level II solos absolutely stock without even pushing; and I can't drive worth a damm (slow as he11). Don't be too impressed, most competent drivers could do what she does given the Nurburgring track experience she has. Nurburgring greatly pays back experience and punishes newbies. Have you ever seen the Skippy/Panoz guys drive the van? Door handles are literally scraping with 7 people aboard and those things are nowhere as strong performers as a wagon, let alone an M5. Main reference to brakes and handling sucking was in comparison to Evo, Ms actually easily outhandle AMGs for example and out brake regular, crappy brake shod benz and non S AUDIs.

Take an E30 let alone E30M3 out on a track then take an E36 (M3) you'll see just how badly the new BMWs understeer compared to the old (E46 and later get progressively worse particularly as driver skill increases). Porsche however actually handles better now as driver skill increases; unfortunately whereas once they felt fast driving normal street speeds now they feel sterile at anything less than full on track speeds - take one to the track and your opinion on the new water cooled cars will absolutely be turned on its head.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports

Last edited by DER MotorSports; Mar 16, 2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Hello composure on the ring. Two Evo VIII's on Nordschliefe Now that's quite a contrast compared to an E39 M5. I like that a lot. It's these sorts of things that keep me from jumping to the BMW side again.

Dan, what are these Panoz van videos that you talk of? I'd like to see them.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Mar 16, 2008 at 05:09 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolving Member

I have driven both my Modded Evo and a Dinan Stage 2 E39 M5. I love both cars. The M is a MUCH better highway car. Way quieter at speed and the Dinan S2 is faster than my Cammed Evo past like 90MPH. The M5 handles very well for what it is, a 4k pound car, but than again, it is an S2 so it has suspension work. If i was older than i am now,20, and had to choose I would def take the M5. Especially if you are not gonna be tracking it. O and the exhaust note of the M5 is to DIE FOR
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I currently have a n E39 M5 and really like it. But I went last week and test drove an evo X. Roomate has an evo 9, so I'm fairly familiar with them. The X drove very nice, and seemed pretty quick. But I think I would miss a lot of the BMW luxury items like power seats/heated seats/sunroof/etc etc etc... Like you said earlier, mods are expensive and not much gain for the bmw, and cheap and effective on the evo. I took my M5 on the track last week and it was a blast. Of course, not a perfect track car, but it handled very well. I was beating the times of a lot of the more "trackworthy" cars too.

Overall, I'd highly recomend the M5

I think I'll have to wait on a new car anyway, even the X is still a little out of my price range. Maybe down the line a used X or used Lexus IS-F or something. Who knows...

Last edited by c_reber; Mar 16, 2008 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:13 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by DER MotorSports
We know a thing or two or three or four about BMWs and suspensions. With all due respect these two autos have no business being compared. The E39M5 is an Autobaun cruiser ala AMG that can be taken to a track day (unlike AMG in all honesty) but seriously will stumble all over itself. We have tuned them with suspension and brakes and they do get better but certainly not much better than a stock E46M3. Truth be told, even the E46M3 is a bit of a stretch comparing to the Evo. If only there were a Z3/4 coupe with rear seating it might be more appropriate.

My advice to you is decide how you want to use the auto - do you want a track toy that can be used on the street or a road rocket that can be tracked albeit miserably. If status means a lot to you and you still want to track, get a BMW M3 and contact us to sort the suspension and braking issues; that's an option.

The status thing is, I am ashamed to admit, an issue that weighs on my mind (and I hate myself for it). However at 40 years old, I will catch crap for driving an Evo from young and old alike. BUT if you consider how I drive an auto and how cosmetics are meaningless to me; it's perfect.

Oh yeah, if you have the dosh, get a Porsche 911 RWD variant, especially GT3. It's the worlds best auto period and status vehicle comparable to the Evo but only 2 small kids will fit in the rear (miserably).

Dan Law
DER MotorSports
Looks like someone here need to race me and my E55 on track...
Old Mar 16, 2008, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05blackevo8
I have driven both my Modded Evo and a Dinan Stage 2 E39 M5. I love both cars. The M is a MUCH better highway car. Way quieter at speed and the Dinan S2 is faster than my Cammed Evo past like 90MPH. The M5 handles very well for what it is, a 4k pound car, but than again, it is an S2 so it has suspension work. If i was older than i am now,20, and had to choose I would def take the M5. Especially if you are not gonna be tracking it. O and the exhaust note of the M5 is to DIE FOR
Dinan S2 package... excellent case in point. To get a M5 up to 470 hp and 419 lb/ft with Dinan, it'll cost you a simple $28,682.26.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S2-Pa...550-p-108.html

Dinan and Active Autowerks are rediculous tuners. I remember seeing the AA turbo kit for my old M Coupe for $38,000. That was part of the sillyness that drove me from owning a sporty BMW.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 08:24 PM

Just buy a white Evo X with the smaller fin and only wash it like twice a year, lol. I find that I start to get revved at again in my IX right after I make it all shiny, but as soon as it's dirty they stop noticing me for some reason.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:12 PM
Evolving Member

Dinan S2 package... excellent case in point. To get a M5 up to 470 hp and 419 lb/ft with Dinan, it'll cost you a simple $28,682.26.

http://www.dinancars.com/store/S2-Pa...550-p-108.html

Dinan and Active Autowerks are rediculous tuners. I remember seeing the AA turbo kit for my old M Coupe for $38,000. That was part of the sillyness that drove me from owning a sporty BMW.
Very true, it is crazy expensive to buy. BUT he bought the car with it on there already. And he only payed 32k for the car. I was on 6SpeedOnline earlier and saw a 2003 M5 with basically an S2 package if not more for like $35k
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:14 AM

Dan, what are these Panoz van videos that you talk of? I'd like to see them.

They're not videos; need to attend the schools. It's how they get you around the track to discuss lines, critique driving &c.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports

Quick Reply: E39 M5 or Evo X decision