Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

E39 M5 or Evo X decision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by redteam22003
Looks like someone here need to race me and my E55 on track...
Sorry for the immature response I originally posted.

RedTeam I would love to receive some driving tips from you. It would be beneficial for a slow unskilled guy like myself to learn from your experience. If I ever get out there, perhaps Willow Springs?, we should meet up. Conversely, if you're ever out this way, Atlanta or SouthEast in general, please look me up - as repayment for your coaching will even let you use my car as a teaching vehicle. This is great and I am always looking to improve! Feel free to leave a message; promise I'll call you back.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports

Last edited by DER MotorSports; Mar 17, 2008 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Immature response on my part
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

I would get the Evo X hands down. But, I am in the minority and I dont like BMW's for the fact that most other BMW owners think there cars are something special. I could give a crap less that it says, "BMW" on the car. They arent the "Ultimate Driving Machine", they are an "Ultimate Yuppie Machine". Funny thing is, I am an old man, not a young kid, and I wouldnt own a BMW, unless it was given to me. Maintenace is too high (except its included on a new one). The older one would require too much maintenance.

I will however admit, they do have some nicer looking cars out now. I like the newest M3 and M5, and the last generations as well, but couldnt own one, I just dont belong in that upper class of person that owns a Bavarian Motor Works.. Too much of a "Non Yuppe" I guess. I also dont care what other people think, so the BMW, is just an over priced Hyundai to me.

Brian
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:26 AM

Mmelmann,

Your are 40, I am 42. You like BMW M5 and I do too. New EVO 30k plus, used M5, 30k plus.

However, apples can't copmpare to apples that may have a worm in it. I am speaking from a financial standpoint. If you can find a pristine M5 that looks, runs and feels like new, then since we are in the same league, I would definitely get the M5. Lets face it. You are comparing a 75k plus car when new to a 30k car. Both have pros that outweigh each other in different areas. But in the end, both will satisfy you joy of motoring.

Funny thing is. you sold your IX for exactly the same reason I sold mine. Imature racers haggling you at every light. Racers driving my wife crazy when she too loves to drive sportscars but we have children on board and the idiot can't even make a thought that why would we risk anything for speed thrills in a competition with our children in the car. Common sense people will say that you shouldn't buy a car like the evo if you don't want to race. Whatever....

Well, both of us succombed to those pressures and sold what makes us happy. Controlable speed in general. My 993 gives me everything a motorist that enjoys all around performance. Have you looked into one. They are commanding a great price and ever since I have owned mine, I can still sell it for what i paid for.

Now for the worm, a used M5 is not the same price as a new EVOx. If for some reason, you should encounter major operational repair of a not so well sorted M5, be preparred as your 30k purchase will sooon be a 40k purchase. I am sure you know what I am talking about. Funny thing with the EVO is you can get bone stock crates new for under 6k. Try rebuilding the M5 engine for that price and you are a hero. Need a new engine and you are in financial disaster. I am saying this only because you are thinking of only used and not new. Therefore, you are money wise like myself as I would never buy a high line car new when with proper research when you can get a really good used one.

So in conclusion, buy the M5, but have a healthy resererve if something should go wrong, or get the EVO and have piece of mind every day you drive it and smile while getting your thrills. Leave the exterior stock to get less attention to street hagglers and laugh as your savings increases every day since repairs for the EVO are, well, cheap.

By the way, I have always dreamed of owning an esprit and I had the opprtunity to get a pristine one. I have owned for 7 years and not one repair has come up that costed a mint. Tranny for this car can exeed 16k, engine rebuild 5k. .... The headaches I tell you. But, in the end, it still hasn't broken my pocket book and I can still sell it again today for what I paid for.

Have I confused you more. Well, it is fun to be confused when you have the chance to get what you really want even if it costs more than what others want or think!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

I don't want an M5 for the name. I notice that quite a few of the owners tend to debadge the car... I would probably do the same thing. It's just a cool car period. BMW's do have built a reputation though and it's evident when you drive a good one... same for Evo's. Once a rep is built, a fan base develops and with that, a loyalty and pride of ownership develops. BMW's are pretty expensive, so that's when you can see yuppies own the cars because they are some of the few that can afford one. I think that most M cars are the exception... they appeal to enthusiast just like Evo's, STi's, Elise's, etc do.

Turbodawg, if you have a chance to drive a good M car your perception will change. It's kind of like riding/owning a motorcycle... if you have never experience it, then you won't understand till you give it a try.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by d didit
Mmelmann,

Your are 40, I am 42. You like BMW M5 and I do too. New EVO 30k plus, used M5, 30k plus.
I'm 29. Where did you get that info from you old fart?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:12 AM

hehehheh. Oops, sorry, I mistaken but I read that info from DER Motorsports. Since you are 29, then the decision for me to give you is simpler, get the EVOX or another EVOIX. Why, modify the heck out of the IX and your grin will outshine all the perceptions others and yourself have with a missle under your buttocks.

Get the X and you just have to wait for 450hp proven parts to come out. Just a little longer since some incredible people are making some awesome bolt-ons as we speak.

By the way, I hate those movies to and everything you like about BMWs is why I sold my 8. Guess what, I sold the M3 in 1 year. Why, I was bored and missed the fun factor of my evo 8.

So my philosophy is just get what only you want. Period... and not let others give you recommendations because it is what they want or had or think is right. You will hate yourself as I do for selling my 8. If I still had that and all the money I used for all the cars I got to find another car like the EVO 8, I would be drivng an 11 sec car to get diapers for my 4 month daughter. To me, that is the thrill of an EVO and not common in an M5.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by TURBODAWG
I would get the Evo X hands down. But, I am in the minority and I dont like BMW's for the fact that most other BMW owners think there cars are something special. I could give a crap less that it says, "BMW" on the car. They arent the "Ultimate Driving Machine", they are an "Ultimate Yuppie Machine". Funny thing is, I am an old man, not a young kid, and I wouldnt own a BMW, unless it was given to me. Maintenace is too high (except its included on a new one). The older one would require too much maintenance.

I will however admit, they do have some nicer looking cars out now. I like the newest M3 and M5, and the last generations as well, but couldnt own one, I just dont belong in that upper class of person that owns a Bavarian Motor Works.. Too much of a "Non Yuppe" I guess. I also dont care what other people think, so the BMW, is just an over priced Hyundai to me.

Brian
Then why do you own a mansion Mr. Harrison???????????????????????????????
Old Mar 17, 2008, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by d didit
Mmelmann,

However, apples can't copmpare to apples that may have a worm in it. I am speaking from a financial standpoint. If you can find a pristine M5 that looks, runs and feels like new, then since we are in the same league, I would definitely get the M5. Lets face it. You are comparing a 75k plus car when new to a 30k car. Both have pros that outweigh each other in different areas. But in the end, both will satisfy you joy of motoring.

Funny thing is. you sold your IX for exactly the same reason I sold mine. Imature racers haggling you at every light. Racers driving my wife crazy when she too loves to drive sportscars but we have children on board and the idiot can't even make a thought that why would we risk anything for speed thrills in a competition with our children in the car. Common sense people will say that you shouldn't buy a car like the evo if you don't want to race. Whatever....

Well, both of us succombed to those pressures and sold what makes us happy. Controlable speed in general. My 993 gives me everything a motorist that enjoys all around performance. Have you looked into one. They are commanding a great price and ever since I have owned mine, I can still sell it for what i paid for.

Now for the worm, a used M5 is not the same price as a new EVOx. If for some reason, you should encounter major operational repair of a not so well sorted M5, be preparred as your 30k purchase will sooon be a 40k purchase. I am sure you know what I am talking about. Funny thing with the EVO is you can get bone stock crates new for under 6k. Try rebuilding the M5 engine for that price and you are a hero. Need a new engine and you are in financial disaster. I am saying this only because you are thinking of only used and not new. Therefore, you are money wise like myself as I would never buy a high line car new when with proper research when you can get a really good used one.

So in conclusion, buy the M5, but have a healthy resererve if something should go wrong, or get the EVO and have piece of mind every day you drive it and smile while getting your thrills. Leave the exterior stock to get less attention to street hagglers and laugh as your savings increases every day since repairs for the EVO are, well, cheap.

By the way, I have always dreamed of owning an esprit and I had the opprtunity to get a pristine one. I have owned for 7 years and not one repair has come up that costed a mint. Tranny for this car can exeed 16k, engine rebuild 5k. .... The headaches I tell you. But, in the end, it still hasn't broken my pocket book and I can still sell it again today for what I paid for.

Have I confused you more. Well, it is fun to be confused when you have the chance to get what you really want even if it costs more than what others want or think!

Couldn't agree more on all counts - too many people buy a used whatever, failing to take into account maintenance costs. 993 is great. Once owned a Lotus Espirit, maybe my favourite auto ever owned. Had a friend with a similar one and his was a nightmare even though absolutely immaculately maintained.

Dan Law
DER MotorSports
Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

M hands down.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:05 PM
kRT

The M5 is a marvelous car, but like all the Ms and older BMWs in general, it isn't the best choice for trouble-free running. Any M5 in the Lancer price range will be going on 6 years and 50,000 miles, which is right around the time major items start to require replacement. For a $30K M5, I'd budget an additional $6-10K for repairs that will accrue within the year after purchase.

I wonder if you might consider the Pontiac G8 GXP? You don't seem to be the type who's in it for the badge. The GXP will have the same power and handling, minus some of the luxury niceties. It'll also have a warranty. Worth a thought, no?
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

M5 for all day driving.

Evo for DD mixed with Track/Drag
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:33 PM
Evolved Member

+1 on the GXP. 402hp corvette motor, 6spd, brembos...

Its a serious contender to me.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:05 AM

Those M5's are so beautiful, a timeless classic that the Evo X can't even compare to. The M5 will always look good, crisp, classic lines, but just aggressive enough to show where it counts.

M5 FTW.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:28 AM

I would certainly drive a BMW, but overall I have a tendency to me unimpressed w/ their looks. Also, where I live BMWs are so commonplace that they fade into the background. Kinda like the new style mustangs....they look decent but so many people have them no one cares anymore. I would personally buy the new X (which I will, when the MRs are available). I have no problem w/ those that would rather have the bimmer though.

KiL
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:45 AM
Evolving Member

get the M5, your be happier.

Quick Reply: E39 M5 or Evo X decision