Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

E39 M5 or Evo X decision

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not the OP, but just a poster in this thread making an update...

A couple of days ago, I bought a 2008 AS Evo X MR.

Love it. Honestly, I don't know why I was even thinking about an old M5 after driving the Evo. The MR is, dare I say it, even refined. Certainly not a luxury car like the M5, but even in terms of electronic toys/gadgets, the M5 is so outdated at this point compared to the Evo it's not even a comparison.

--michael
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

the M5 is a better all around car and has more useable power around town. i tried only having an evo x, but the lack of punch, getting beat by bmw's, and generally being disatisfied with the 4 cylinders performance on anything less than peak boost led me to get a C6 to satisfy my torque cravings.
Old Sep 25, 2008, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

A friend of mine has just bought an E39 M5 this week and another friend already has one, they are a very nice motor, but if its performance your after go with the evo, a few mods will have them beating the M5, but as a comfortabel super fast family mover, i'd go with the M5
Old Sep 26, 2008, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

I saw a 09 skyline GTR on GA 400 yesterday evening...wow!!! what a car..
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by s2000sc
Did you end up buying the X or the M5?

I made the decision to move on from the Evo into a more refined performance car that I would drive exclusively on the street. After six months of ownership I traded the Evo for an E55 AMG with the V8 Kompressor engine. So far I'm really enjoying the grunty performance (469hp, 516 lb-ft) and lovely V8 soundtrack, but missing the nimble handling. I also appreciate the stealthiness of the Benz after the unwanted attention of the Evo.

I may pick up a track biased car to partner the E55 whenever I can afford it.
I am still stuck in Afghanistan... so I haven't bought anything yet.

I have always liked the E55 AMG a lot as well. It's fun to see the modded ones crack out 10 sec quarter miles. It's a quick cruise missle and it looks pretty good to boot. Everytime I see a merc, I think of weight though... but that isn't neccesarrily a bad thing when you think about what you're wanting out of a practical sports sedan.... luxury and comfort come at the cost of weight.

If I want a track machine, I'd get a used E36 M3, or I would have stuck with my Evo IX. If I want a car that truly fit the bill for a daily driven people/cargo hauler with mucho grunt, then an M5 or E55 would be perfect. This gas issue I've been hearing about back home kind of takes a little wind out of my sails though. I bet your E55 drinks gas like a fish drinks water. On a side note, (not as big as the post above this one though), I think that the CLS 55 AMG is probably one of the coolest looking super cruiser sedans ever... but they are still way out of my price range. I'm suprised that the E55 AMG's are within the $30,000-$40,000 price range though. I didn't realize that. I also like the pulsating seats. I have a lot of test driving to look forward to when I get home. Hell, I'll be excited enough to just drive anything. My WRX is going to be a blast again.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 01:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by weneversleep
Not the OP, but just a poster in this thread making an update...

A couple of days ago, I bought a 2008 AS Evo X MR.

Love it. Honestly, I don't know why I was even thinking about an old M5 after driving the Evo. The MR is, dare I say it, even refined. Certainly not a luxury car like the M5, but even in terms of electronic toys/gadgets, the M5 is so outdated at this point compared to the Evo it's not even a comparison.

--michael
What kind of car did you come from prior to your Evo X MR? I guess that the X can be considered as refined, but it's kind of relative. I agree with you though, it's more refined than the IX was. I like the techno update too, but it can be a turn off to some. Case in point, the current M5 with I-drive. I'm almost dis-interested in the car because it has too much stuff... that, coupled with the Bangle spin on the architecture of the car would make me choose the E39 M5 over the E60 M5 even if they were offered for the same price.

On the Evo X, I think that the technology update is proper and doesn't go over the top. I like it. I just wish the trunk wasn't so tiny and I wish that they would offer a trunk spoiler option vs the huge "hey, look at me" wing. I used to put tape over the holes on my IX for the times that I didn't use the wing, it was ghetto. When it was time for the Streets of Willow or a blast up and down Palomar Mt, it came back on again. I don't hate the wing, I just wish we had a better option.

Last edited by Mmelmann; Sep 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old Sep 27, 2008, 02:00 AM
Jp7
Evolved Member

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
get the m, if you can find an older evo 8 or 9 that would be much better, the 10 is disappointing, I drove one and was very unimpressed.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

M5; buy a warranty, there are some insane repairs that need to be done on that car, but the M5 owners are all very much in love with their cars. The gripes are usually about some emissions related stuff.

Buy a 2003 if possible... it has the newer steering wheel.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
M5 save yourself while you still have a chance
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
M5; buy a warranty, there are some insane repairs that need to be done on that car, but the M5 owners are all very much in love with their cars. The gripes are usually about some emissions related stuff.

Buy a 2003 if possible... it has the newer steering wheel.
2001+ have the newer steering wheels as far as I know.
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

05 06 m3?
Old Sep 27, 2008, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by red evo8
05 06 m3?
Cool car, but they are not in the right price range and they don't have 4 doors. I've got a new baby boy and a broken L5 vertebrae, so a 2 door is out of the question as far as a fun family mobile goes. I didn't like driving the E46 M3 as much as I would have hoped when I took one for a test drive. When you're used to the feel of an '06 Evo IX, a '02 WRX, ... and before that a '00 M Coupe and a '98 E36 M3... the feel of the E46 M3 just doesn't do it for ya. In my opinion that is. I've had friends that sold their M Coupes for M3s and they regretted it. I have not really heard of M5 guys regretting their decision. It's a different kind of car with different attributes. The Evo X is also a different kind of car, but for more performance oriented reasons... that's why the decision is difficult.

I'm a performance first kind of guy, but I do kind of feel guilty about my car choice when it comes time to haul family and friends around. Not many people like the drone of a 3" free flowing exhaust, the ability to feel every part of the road that's being traveled, the lack of cushness that comes from light weight seats, or the slight embarrasment that comes from riding in a "too fast too furious" kind of car (even if they don't say it aloud). The Evo X has taken the Evo image in the right direction and I think that it's got the potential to attract the guys like me that may have been driven away.

I may have to just keep the suby running for a long while. I've already got plans in the making for my son's hopeful future racing carreer... and it begins with shifter kart racing. He'll be the next Schumacher I'm sure of it... and then he can buy me a Moesler or a Ferrari because I was such an inspirational and supportive race dad. (Hey, we can dream can't we?) If he becomes a contestant for one of those Project Runway shows then I'm going to kill him.