Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

E39 M5 or Evo X decision

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2008, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E39 M5 or Evo X decision

Since the price of a BMW E39 M5 (2000-2003) and the price of a brand new Evo X are right in the same price range the inevitable question comes about. Which one should I go for? E39 M5's are icons of their era. They were $70,000 brand new and are still 400 hp "beasts". They combine awesome power, classic looks, nice build quality, and the handling characteristics typical of M cars... all the things that make for rabid fans. I've always wanted one.

Well now, they are within the right price range for me.... and it's right in line with the new Evo X. So what is a guy to do? Go with a used German performance icon or go with another Evo? I used to own a '00 BMW M Coupe and I sold it for an Evo IX. I enjoyed the power and performance of the Evo, but I missed the looks, the interior, the sound, etc of the BMW M... it had a real personality that I liked. I didn't like the "fast and furious" personality that was hard to shake with the Evo... regardless of what Evo drivers really are, it still looks like a ricer car. I hate that movie with a passion and I hated being associated with that crowd even more.... so I sold the Evo IX and now I'm back in the market for a new car.

Have any of you guys gone through this same delimma?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:16 PM

I love the X but this is an easy choice. If you have the money for repairs and such go for the M5. Those are INSANE machines and look great to boot.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

M > X, make sure you get a good maintance M. Those v8 ain't cheap to take care
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:20 PM

isn't the M5 V10?
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aznRice
isn't the M5 V10?
The E60 M5 is a 507 bhp V10. The previous version, the E39, is a 394 bhp V8.... they are the ones you can get for a price range that goes from $27,000 to $40,000 used. They are very hard for me to find locally. Usually once I find one close enough to look at... it's already sold.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Best thing to do imo: Test drive them both and then decide. Happy hunting.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:37 PM

As far as the "crowd" association goes, I think it's a toss up, at least around Birmingham. Most of the people I see driving BMW's are frat boy snobs driving like a$$ holes and I so rarely see an Evo that most people probably don't know what it is.

Now, absent the public perception, I would choose the M5 and try to find a certified one with an extended warranty. Oh yeah, I'd take mine in Red (that color looks killer on the M5).
Old Mar 15, 2008, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by eVo_Boi
Best thing to do imo: Test drive them both and then decide. Happy hunting.
I've only driven the 540i with the sport package... and I loved it. In fact I liked it more than a E46 M3. Most 540i drivers upgrade to the M5. Everybody I've talked to loves the E39 M5... some even prefer it to the current E60 M5! I've never found anybody with a good E39 M5 to let me drive it unfortunately.

Here's my other problem.... I'm a trackday addict. Well, of the 2 wheel kind. I used to road race bikes with the CMRA and I've never made the leap to cars. I've driven the snot out of my old IX back in the mountains of SoCal... Palomar Mountain to be exact and the Evo did fare well. Now I live on the East coast where there are no mountains close by... so I head to VIR and Carolina Motorsports Park for my road course fun.

If I get an Evo X then I'll look into spending the extra cash on tires and trackday fees. But in all honesty, I don't have the cash to track a car and a bike at the same time.... cars are much more expensive to take to the track. I also have a little son on the way so the added room of the M5 looks good.... but the higher running and mod cost of the M5 is not something to ignore.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

get a lotus elise!!!!!! or jump back into the ix. e39 m5 is nice, but i would be tempted to get the new one. 500 horses, DAMN!
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mmelmann
I also have a little son on the way so the added room of the M5 looks good.... but the higher running and mod cost of the M5 is not something to ignore.
Exactly the right thinking. Probably very hard to find a low milage car which would not need major service cost down the road. Plus that little guy is gonna want to go to a good school and college. Private schools run 20K a year and private colleges 50K. Something to keep in mind.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
IMO itc omes down to if you want to mod or not. Modding a bimmer cost too much for no gains. Modding a turbo car, the X, is more rewarding.
Old Mar 15, 2008, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

i have driven the M5... sweet ride! would definitely take one over any Evo... if i had the cash now.. id pick this one up...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...e=&cardist=995
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
M5 no doubt.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 12:45 AM

Both are great choices, as said earlier just test drive them back-to-back and see how you like it. As for me, I love my M roadster for weekend drives and Ill never get rid of it but I also love the Japanese engineering feat of the Evo series. Good luck with your choice, either way it's difficult to go wrong as long as the M5 was well-maintained.
Old Mar 16, 2008, 06:21 AM

We know a thing or two or three or four about BMWs and suspensions. With all due respect these two autos have no business being compared. The E39M5 is an Autobaun cruiser ala AMG that can be taken to a track day (unlike AMG in all honesty) but seriously will stumble all over itself. We have tuned them with suspension and brakes and they do get better but certainly not much better than a stock E46M3. Truth be told, even the E46M3 is a bit of a stretch comparing to the Evo. If only there were a Z3/4 coupe with rear seating it might be more appropriate.

My advice to you is decide how you want to use the auto - do you want a track toy that can be used on the street or a road rocket that can be tracked albeit miserably. If status means a lot to you and you still want to track, get a BMW M3 and contact us to sort the suspension and braking issues; that's an option.

The status thing is, I am ashamed to admit, an issue that weighs on my mind (and I hate myself for it). However at 40 years old, I will catch crap for driving an Evo from young and old alike. BUT if you consider how I drive an auto and how cosmetics are meaningless to me; it's perfect.

Oh yeah, if you have the dosh, get a Porsche 911 RWD variant, especially GT3. It's the worlds best auto period and status vehicle comparable to the Evo but only 2 small kids will fit in the rear (miserably).

Dan Law
DER MotorSports

Last edited by DER MotorSports; Mar 16, 2008 at 06:38 AM.

Quick Reply: E39 M5 or Evo X decision