Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

evo x GSR for a stick shift noobie, bad idea?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2008, 06:43 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo x GSR for a stick shift noobie, bad idea?

are the 5 speed manuals on the GSRs easy to engage? i'm very new at driving manual tranny. will it be a bad idea to buy a GSR and getting used to it on a new car? thanks.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:23 AM
Evolving Member

I say go for it! I was driving an automatic integra and had probably an hr total behind the wheel of a few manual cars...and I do mean about an hr total of moving manual cars on a parking lot from point a to point b. So yea, when I drove my evo off the lot, I was pretty much still learning with it. That was about 3 months ago...and since then I've stalled, burned the clutch, and pretty much taught myself what to do and not to do once I have the money to get a performance clutch and flywheel.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:26 AM

BAD IDEA!!... ask one of ur friends to teach u first...then buy ur X... I'm sure replacing a clutch on one of there cars would be a lot cheaper
Old Mar 17, 2008, 07:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stlgrym3
are the 5 speed manuals on the GSRs easy to engage? i'm very new at driving manual tranny. will it be a bad idea to buy a GSR and getting used to it on a new car? thanks.
i learned manual car 7 mo ago and i am driving X LOVING IT
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

While the Evo is an expensive learning tool, I would say go for it. Maybe put in an order, and see if one of your friends or relatives would be willing to give you a quick lesson. Get the clutch grinding out of the way. There won't be too much of an issue if you "get used to manual" on an Evo, just explore other options as well.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

The trick is to learn to drive stick the right way, not just however you teach yourself to fumble through the gears. they have driver's ed cars with standard transmissions. if you don't learn the right way and try to just jump into a high performance car, and probably try to drive it aggressively, you are only going to burn the clutch or break driveline components, and if they break because you were learning to drive on it, they are perfectly justified in denying your warranty. so...learn the basics from a professional and take it easy and go slow and you will probably be ok. other than that, i wouldn't recommend it...
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

i dont think it should really b a problem xcept for the fact that u might burn the clutch and etc, i mean the clutch on an X will b stiffer

but i mean when i 1st started driving stick i went 2 dealerships to test drive cars XD

thats basically how i taught myself stick, but i learned in my buddys type r b4 i started practicing stick on test drive cars rofl

but i think u should have a buddy teach u how 2 drive stick b4 u got and buy an X cause im sure ur goin 2 burn the clutch and wht not
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:35 AM

its easy, i first learned on my STi; believe me, that first drive home from the dealership in the STi was nuts! its ok, besides... after a while your going to want to swap out the clutch anyway. so i say go for it!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:51 AM
Evolved Member

The x is an easy car to drive, but if you have the opportunity, I would have someone teach you first on a different car so you dont eat up your clutch.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:17 AM

X's clutch is one of the most forgiving I've driven on. Id say go for it. Granted it's a bit easier to learn a stick car on something small and underpowered, but it's really not going to make that much of a difference imo.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by ohheyitzjon
its easy, i first learned on my STi; believe me, that first drive home from the dealership in the STi was nuts! its ok, besides... after a while your going to want to swap out the clutch anyway. so i say go for it!
The STi's clutch was just horrible. way too soft and uncommunicative imo. The engagement point was very vague. The evo's clutch isn't perfect per say, but it's definetly one of the better oem units I've used for sure.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:47 AM

I also learned stick shift on my GC8 Impreza and now thinking of a CZ4A. lol.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first stick i drove was my 94 civic the day i bought it, the drive home was intersting and a learning experience. Just hop in and go for it!
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Get an old manual car, beat it and get a hang of it.
Then buy the X.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ronmcdon
The STi's clutch was just horrible. way too soft and uncommunicative imo. The engagement point was very vague. The evo's clutch isn't perfect per say, but it's definetly one of the better oem units I've used for sure.
i'd have to agree, the STi clutch does need some getting used to. so far the best OEM clutch i've ever drivin is the Audi R8's. Smooth like butter and engagement is very predictable. the X's clutch is nice for a mitsubishi, but still needs some improvements, ie. engagement is way too high! but regardless, just jump right in and drive... learn on the way home!

Quick Reply: evo x GSR for a stick shift noobie, bad idea?