Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

An Evo X "haters" driving experience/review...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2008, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You must not drive many N/A cars because there is nothing that feels naturally aspirated about the new Evo.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
What's the point of test driving a car with a pre-disposition and bias against it?

That makes this whole review pointless. If an X lover drove the same car he say better things because of his bias towards the car.
1. Everyone has biases towards everything. Its part of being human.
2. I put quotations in the title for "hater" because that is what people have said about me in the past. I've never considered myself a hater of any vehicle.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Canexican
....I would probably really like it if I could hear the motor/exhaust and if it had more ***** - nothing that wont be fixed with the aftermarket. Its certainly got potential.

Those are really such minor complaints since they are so easily fixed. Solves a good deal of the power problem at the same time from what I've seen about the effect of changing the intake. And if all it needs is intake and a catback, you're practically raving about it and not hating in the least.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

i have a few thoughts.

1.) the review compares a stock X to a tuned IX. if you're gonna do a review please mention this. it puts things into perspective.

2.) linear powerband is good. state personal preference if you enjoy having to wait for spool up. the dynos have shown that the X is a lil anemic up top so that may have something to do with wanting the boost to "kick" in...
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

Iabove 5000rpm it does seem to lose steam.
Yea, no kidding. I have driven the previous EVOs. They continue to suck you into the seat all the way to red line(stock). The EVO X has some suction between 4-5k RPM where it reaches the peak torque but after 5k, I don't know what the hell happens. I think these cars come with a horrible tuning job honestly. The car feels like at higher revs it is starving for air and the boost is tapering and dropping and spiking and dropping. Either Mitsu comes with a re-flash or mod shops start getting their tuning software up already. I personally like the X more than the previous models but I understand where this thread's reviewer is coming from...but the X needs some people to cut the slack for it for a while because not only are the mods not out yet everywhere but neither are the tuning kits to really let us know what the heck is going on. This is an entirely new evo with a new 4b11 motor...we have to be more patient.

On a side note, I am a X owner and have no problem criticizing the car. It is what it is. We should just listen to what everyone has to say and not get offended.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
i think this review is not bad at all. some parts i would say it differently.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 08:35 PM
Account Disabled

1. Everyone has biases towards everything. Its part of being human.
2. I put quotations in the title for "hater" because that is what people have said about me in the past. I've never considered myself a hater of any vehicle.
Screw them bro, don't let people label you.
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:28 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by si_to_evo
Honest review? I never tasted IX. X is the best car i ever owned and love it so much that almost going on road-rage especially on the highway. After 600 miles i got to push it a little and this thing flys like a go-cart and glued to the road The brakes are amazing!

Now that i know how the X is I will test drive my friend's IX to see what everyone talking about accel. Is it really that difference?
tell me what you think and go past the tin can feel or the interiors
Old Mar 21, 2008, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
You must not drive many N/A cars because there is nothing that feels naturally aspirated about the new Evo.
+1

I went from a 2000 eclipse to an EVO VIII, I noticed the turbo.

I went from the EVO VIII to a vette, I noticed a lack of turboness, but the addition of torque... down low.

I went from the vette to the X, and noticed the turbo... MORE so than when I transitioned from the eclipse to the VIII.

Just my experiences, thought I would share. Glad that you sort of liked it! Do you have a feeling you might be taking another test drive??
Old Mar 22, 2008, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
very good review.
Old Mar 22, 2008, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
^ I am going to drive 1 this weekend and find out.
and how did your test turn out?
Old Mar 22, 2008, 09:18 PM

"I honestly could not really notice the weight. I didnt get to do any real transitions, but it handled really well for how weighted down it was."

I agree!! I came from a very heavy Cobra and I love the X!!

Last edited by t8kdown; Mar 23, 2008 at 06:32 AM.
Old Mar 23, 2008, 09:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MrBonus
My previous car was an n/a 3000GT...trust me, i know what it feels like. Compared to the IX, it does feel n/a (and i'm talking stock too). It is just sooo linear. If it pulled harder, I probably wouldnt have cared about the linearity; I just think I'd miss the more bi-polar powerband of the 4G63 that really lets you know that the turbo is on.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:19 AM
Evolved Member

My previous car was an n/a 3000GT...trust me, i know what it feels like. Compared to the IX, it does feel n/a (and i'm talking stock too). It is just sooo linear. If it pulled harder, I probably wouldnt have cared about the linearity; I just think I'd miss the more bi-polar powerband of the 4G63 that really lets you know that the turbo is on.
The power delivery is very similar to the VIII/IX. It has the same dog-slow delivery with a rush of boosted power around 3000 RPMs of the previous cars. The only difference is that it doesn't run out of steam in the higher RPMs.

Last edited by MrBonus; Mar 24, 2008 at 05:25 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoRecordSetter
and how did your test turn out?
I drove my friend IX MR(stock) for quite a bit yesterday. I failed to notice if it was faster than my stock X. Steering wheel had more twitchy response and that was it. Handling and acceleration were same to me. Also it didn't felt any lighter either.

I am very happy with my X and will be more after an air intake, catback, and some other bolt ons from AMS

Quick Reply: An Evo X "haters" driving experience/review...