Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I need an EvoX RPM / Power text based dyno print out

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need an EvoX RPM / Power text based dyno print out

Does anyone have a text based dyno print out for an Evo X?

I was reading that "RPM at 70 mph" thread and decided to make a speed RPM spreadsheet, and then decided to turn it into a shift point calculator as well. All I need now is the RPM vs power print out for an EvoX to enter into Excel and then I can finish calculating areas under the curve to maximize the average power based on shift rpm, engine rpm and vehicle speed, etc.

I've found lots of dyno scans, but no text based RPM vs power numbers. Anyway, I downloaded the Buschur stock dyno and am reverse enginering the numbers on the printed curve, but this is not an accurate way to get the numbers at all.

If you happen to have one you can share, please let me know if it's stock or modified, and which mods.

Thanks
Old Mar 30, 2008, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i think it looks the same as the pb but i dunno
Old Mar 30, 2008, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

This is based of the stock torque figures in NM ..

Torque figure is taken off the brochure for the X versus 1st to 5th gear up to 8000rpms
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Evo X gear ratio.xls.zip (25.5 KB, 16 views)
Old Mar 30, 2008, 11:26 AM
Evolving Member

I was hoping to get a dyno based plot with a couple columns of text. The spreadsheet you posted is a bit different than mine, but similar in goals I assume. The 1000 RPM increment doesn't really have enough resolution for what I want to do.
Old Mar 30, 2008, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

The engine speed vs vehicle speed gear shift calculator I have been working on is attached. For now it uses the power/RPM curve posted by gunzo. I gave up manually entering numbers from the dyno graph, it was just too tedoius. The "shift graphs" worksheet shows the maximized power via area under the curve calculated from given shift points. The "speed based" and "RPM based" worksheets are basically just vehicle speed vs RPM calculators, but the "shift graph" sheet uses the "speed based" calculations as it's starting point.

If someone can send me some actual dyno numbers rather than a graph, I can go back and modify the power curve sheet to give better shift points. Right now the shift points are all based on linear interpolation between 1000 RPM increments, which makes for incredibly low resolution.

I'm not even sure if anyone is interested in this kind of stuff. I haven't seen it posted yet.

Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
evo speed rpm calc.zip (81.0 KB, 18 views)
Old Mar 31, 2008, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think this is a great idea. I think you have a good starting point that you can actually use. And if you end up getting a more detailed dyno numbers, then please update.

In the meantime, how can I actually use the spreadsheet to determine my shift points? Should I enter my estimated trap speed?
Old Mar 31, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
I think this is a great idea. I think you have a good starting point that you can actually use. And if you end up getting a more detailed dyno numbers, then please update.

In the meantime, how can I actually use the spreadsheet to determine my shift points? Should I enter my estimated trap speed?
Thanks. I actually went and put in a sheet for "how to use" the spreadsheet.

For the shift points you want to enter an accurate estimated trap speed (as best you can) so the sheet can calculate whether or not you really need to shift to 5th, and also to give you an accurate calculation of area under the power curve. You also want to enter shift points via trial/error, and decide, based on trap speed and gearing and max engine speed, etc, if you can ride out 4th gear all the way through the traps, or if you HAVE to shift to 5th. I don't have this calculation down nicely yet, it's still a work in progress. At a later date I'd like to have it do a logical calculation / decision as to which would be better. It works now, but if you want to ride out 4th through the traps then you need to set your 4->5 shift RPM at the max engine speed and manually check to make sure the 5th gear matrix column isn't calculating anything at the high end of the vehicle speed range.

Hope this makes sense. Let me know.
Attached Files
evo speed rpm calc rev3.zip (83.7 KB, 5 views)
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ok, I've had some time to digest this info and have a few thoughts.

1 - you have hp #'s of a stock Evo X, yet you have the trap speed set at 125mph, which is not really the case. but it doesn't really matter all that much, since the trap speed really just sets the limit on where to end the graph. the rest of the shift points aren't affected, just the 4th to 5th.

2 - this is all based off a "stock" Evo X. how do you plan on applying this formula to cars with mods? would there be an easy way to take a dyno graph from AMS with the mods on their Evo X, and see the optimum shift points? the power curve will change as mods are added.

3 - can you color in the cells on the "power curve" tab so I know which cells I need to change? then I can input data from my dyno chart. (this would be very helpful to others, as they could then figure out their own optimum shift points for their mods).

Very good stuff. Keep up the good work. I wouldn't get too concerned about the detailed dyno #'s as most people probably won't have them anyway. I would just concentrate on making an easy to use spreadsheet that people can enter in their dyno #'s, and then play with the shift points to get the maximum area under the power curve.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steinvb12
Ok, I've had some time to digest this info and have a few thoughts.

1 - you have hp #'s of a stock Evo X, yet you have the trap speed set at 125mph, which is not really the case. but it doesn't really matter all that much, since the trap speed really just sets the limit on where to end the graph. the rest of the shift points aren't affected, just the 4th to 5th.
I had 125 mph in there only to try and get the 4th 5th shifting to work ok. Really I guess 104 mph would be appropriate for a stock evo. You will notice it won't change the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd shift points though.

2 - this is all based off a "stock" Evo X. how do you plan on applying this formula to cars with mods? would there be an easy way to take a dyno graph from AMS with the mods on their Evo X, and see the optimum shift points? the power curve will change as mods are added.
The vlookup function should take care of that for now regardless of whether the power curve is stock or modified. However, this is exactly why I wanted the power curves from the dyno graphs, since the dyno graphs won't be formatted at even 250 RPM increments. It's more real world than what exists now.

3 - can you color in the cells on the "power curve" tab so I know which cells I need to change? then I can input data from my dyno chart. (this would be very helpful to others, as they could then figure out their own optimum shift points for their mods).
On the power curve sheet, the dyno chart numbers would go in the orange columns in column J and K. Put the first data points in J3 and K3, J3=RPM and K3=power. If your data column goes past J37 and K37, then you need to go to the "shift graphs" sheet and change the vlookup formula. Right now in Excel the vlookup in cell B16 on "shift graphs" looks like this:

=IF('speed based'!$A15<=$E$11,IF('speed based'!B15>0,VLOOKUP('speed based'!B15,'power curve'!$J$3:$K$37,2),0),0)

You would need to change this formula in every cell from B16 through F216. The change you would need to make is to change the vlookup range in the formula so that the "$K$37" was actually the last cell in your dyno chart column on the power curve sheet. Right now there are 35 rows in the power curve, if your new power curve has 50 rows, you would need to tell the formula that in every cell from B16 through F216.

Very good stuff. Keep up the good work. I wouldn't get too concerned about the detailed dyno #'s as most people probably won't have them anyway. I would just concentrate on making an easy to use spreadsheet that people can enter in their dyno #'s, and then play with the shift points to get the maximum area under the power curve.
Thanks. One of the reasons I want the dyno numbers is so I can take those, and then normalize them into say, 50 RPM or 100 RPM increments. I can automate the vlookup, and I can automate the normalization into standard RPM increments, but I can't really do both in one step. Ideally, doing it in two steps would allow the spreadsheet user to copy/past two columns of text data into the appropriate columns, and then two other columns would read and automatically normalize that user's data, and then the vlookup can read from that standard sized (2 columns by say 50 rows (2x50) ) matrix without having to update vlookup formulas on the "shift graphs" sheet.
Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:27 PM

My Dyno pulls

evostang

Here are two pulls I made last week. I'll PM you a txt file i exported from WINPEP. Let me know if this is what you need.

Old Apr 4, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pazzuzu
evostang

Here are two pulls I made last week. I'll PM you a txt file i exported from WINPEP. Let me know if this is what you need.
PERFECT! Thanks.

I'm working on the spreadsheet again this weekend. So long as I don't spend all my time playing with my X that just arrived this morning!