Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
tell an f1 racer that if he was a real racer he would have never used a sequential gear box!

whenever you can focus more on your line, and have perfect consistent shifts you will always be a leg up on a standard m/t. the sequential manual transmissions are rampant in pro racing. its not about feel its about performance.

Of course clubbing an animal to death maybe more fun than shooting it with a 30.06......
Well when you get a car with the power and performance of an F1 race car let me know.

For now GSR launches way harder then the MR, and i am a pretty quick shifter so the TC-SST wont save it
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
How can anyone criticize a car they haven't driven?

This thread =

Sorry i don't test drive A/T cars period . I dont care how good it drive's i NEED a M/T.

Last edited by Joe's Evo X; Apr 6, 2008 at 11:38 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
id like a manual but for some of us we have traffic and spouses and things and I need the extra cog for highway driving....

I guess the GTR is junk too
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

SST like DSG will crush any "pretty quick" shifter by a mile. Even the best M/T shifter's will ultimately shift slower than a dual clutch tranny.

Go drive an A3 2.0 DSG and tell me its not a fun tranny.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

i would never trade\conpromise
manuel all the way EVO or chevette
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:09 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Boltz.
SST like DSG will crush any "pretty quick" shifter by a mile. Even the best M/T shifter's will ultimately shift slower than a dual clutch tranny..
+100.

Can't wait till people is SST's are smashing on M/T X's. Then I can watch all the Manual lovers bite their tounges.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Boltz.
SST like DSG will crush any "pretty quick" shifter by a mile. Even the best M/T shifter's will ultimately shift slower than a dual clutch tranny.

Go drive an A3 2.0 DSG and tell me its not a fun tranny.
OK it will shift what .002 second faster. ANd i am thinking i will eat an MR off the launch so regardless i will still have way more momentioum which means ill still be pulling on the MR. I am sorry but IMO M/T smokes A/T in the EVO X but every one is intitled to there own opinion and will like different thing or else they wouldnt of came out with the A/T EVO (for the people that can not drive M/T )
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:15 PM
Account Disabled

It's not that people can't drive M/T as all my previous cars were Manual, it's the sophistaction of the ---->Automated-MANUAL<----. In Super-Sport mode, it shifts faster then you Joe. No matter what you think and believe it's fact.

So get over yourself already thinking that M/T is somehow better then A/T.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Well when you get a car with the power and performance of an F1 race car let me know.

For now GSR launches way harder then the MR, and i am a pretty quick shifter so the TC-SST wont save it
Launching has exactly nothing to do with shift speed sparky. When you can shift a std in less that .080 do yourself a favor and call a team owner so we can watch you race on tv.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

Technology is great and I'm glad Mitsu is offering a dual clutch trans...

BUT I still want mine with a 6 SPEED MANUAL!
and I commute 100 miles a day in LA traffic. So what. I like giving my left calf a workout.

Thanks for asking this question.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

wow, haven't posted in a few years, but have to say, what an assinine bunch of crap.

The MR does not have an A/T. It has a manual transmission where the clutch is computer controlled instead of controlled by your left foot.. think of it as a manual with a robot operating the clutch... a robot who can shift a helluva lot faster than you can with your pea brain operating your left leg, right foot and right hand.

anybody who is stupid enought to think an Evo's main purpose in life should be drag racing might not like the SST. For those of us who realize that an Evo is meant to be driven hard on fast on roads that have curves in them, then the SST is great.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:31 PM
CGK
Evolving Member

Automatics are perfect....for cars like my Dodge Omni. Just preference, but auto trannys are like neutered animals.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

lol whups if gas gets anymore expensive my next EVO will be more art than car... I wont need to worry about the whole shifting thing
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
I have to say that i do agree with everybody so far. I just cant see some one owning an evo then you look inside and you see an A/T For me 5sp or 6 sp is the way to go. How are you suppost to do the famious 5500 rpm launch on an A/T. Now if the MR came in a 5 or 6sp that would be awesome
Actually, the MR will have launch control. This statement is based on what I've read, and I will try to provide references upon request.

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
As good as the TC-SST may be, id rather do the shifting myself. I figure I have 2 feet so i may as well use them. 10 cars so far and all of them with a "proper" transmission.
This is exactly how I feel.

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
tell an f1 racer that if he was a real racer he would have never used a sequential gear box!

whenever you can focus more on your line, and have perfect consistent shifts you will always be a leg up on a standard m/t. the sequential manual transmissions are rampant in pro racing. its not about feel its about performance.

Of course clubbing an animal to death maybe more fun than shooting it with a 30.06......
I think I pee'd a little...

Originally Posted by CharlesJ
Nothing can replace the feel of a good manual, but ultimately, automated manuals (not a/t) are the way of the future and already heavily incorporated on many of the worlds high end sports cars. It does lack some of the feel and can be a bit video game, but once you get used to it (which doesnt take long) it does allow you to concentrate much more on driving and will allow you to be faster. In the case of the evo, it is NOT faster from a standing start as the MR is not designed for drag racing.

I am a bit torn myself, but I would gladly do an MR, or GTR for that matter.
I'm sure that's true, but it was damn uncomfortable when I tried paddles in the 2.4L GTS. I think I'll keep the clutch pedal on the X...but I could so dig the paddles on something like the GT-R.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to be honest, if i could afford the x mr, i would buy it for the autostick. sometimes, i just don't want to shift all the time. i had a 300zx twin turbo auto and friggin' loved it. it's not for everyone and i agree, they should have a manual option whether 5 or 6 speed. not everyone tracks. the cost of replacing an auto is a downside vs. manual, along with giving up some control. eh, i'm 50/50 on this one..... oh, they've had the gt-a for years so sst= still an evo.

Last edited by heavens turbo; Apr 1, 2008 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t