Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
lol whups if gas gets anymore expensive my next EVO will be more art than car... I wont need to worry about the whole shifting thing

My '05 GSR has 73,500 !(mostly freeway) miles on it now... original clutch too!

The Evo makes a great commuter... I'd just like an extra gear in my next one (5M vs 6M)

Yeah, I wonder how much I have spent on gas filling up about twice a week... I don't ask the pump for receipts anymore.....
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First off its not an A/T. You can't really dog on a system that is faster than a traditional manual trans. This system is tried and true. i don't imagine that the fastest production car on the market ie the veyron would use a trans system that is less than reliable and yes it does use a six speed semi auto trans very similar to the evo system. You say its not they way a sports car should be and i say it is the future of sports cars. I agree that the clutch gives the driver more feel but why use it if you must spend such a long time shifting when with the paddles the car blips the throttle and changes gears allowin the driver to stay in the power band. Don't cry cuz a car with a so called A/T just beat you down the track.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:47 PM
Evolving Member

I think the biggest concern with SST isnt the operation or performance. Its the fact that Evo's love mods and when owners stoke up the heat the SST will probably go blam! I mean even joes mega 5 speed still has a low launch rpm because mitsu is afraid of things going boom!

The last dealer I had spoke said that one of the biggest complaints from evo owners was the weak stock clutch and the the sst was made to solve that issue... in hindsight seams like a trade... noobs who fry clutches will still buy clutches but who do you blame when the sst blows up ?

Maybe for a stock DD or road raced EVO the sst is completely the right choice and drag racing modders should be delighted with improved 5spd and its ability to stay in one piece while the clutch turns into a scented candle, heck thats just an excuse to mod it maybe mitsu knows you better than you thought they did
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

The only thing that is keeping me from a mr is the review the evom guys posted where the mr went into pretty much "limp" mode on the dyno. I would like to find out how sensitive the car is to mods and such before i even consider paying that outrageous price for one
Old Apr 1, 2008, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by WHUP-S
My '05 GSR has 73,500 !(mostly freeway) miles on it now... original clutch too!

The Evo makes a great commuter... I'd just like an extra gear in my next one (5M vs 6M)

Yeah, I wonder how much I have spent on gas filling up about twice a week... I don't ask the pump for receipts anymore.....
Im feeling ya brother. I changed cities so I didnt need to commute as much. And I still dont get gas receipts!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:04 PM
XRS
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ferraritech
First off its not an A/T. You can't really dog on a system that is faster than a traditional manual trans. This system is tried and true. i don't imagine that the fastest production car on the market ie the veyron would use a trans system that is less than reliable and yes it does use a six speed semi auto trans very similar to the evo system. You say its not they way a sports car should be and i say it is the future of sports cars. I agree that the clutch gives the driver more feel but why use it if you must spend such a long time shifting when with the paddles the car blips the throttle and changes gears allowin the driver to stay in the power band. Don't cry cuz a car with a so called A/T just beat you down the track.
Wasn't the manual actually faster on the smaller twistier course in the BM AT vs MT comparo? It didn't seem like it was able to keep up with all the frequent turns. To me, in the BM video, it just looked like the AT was just faster on the drag due to the closer gearing. I want to see a comparison with a 6 speed MT with similar gearing.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

I have driven the Ferrari F430 and the paddle shifters on that work really well. I can't comment on the SST as I have yet to drive it. I have also driven the current 911 turbo and it actually posts faster 0-60 times with the automatic as I recall.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
Launching has exactly nothing to do with shift speed sparky. When you can shift a std in less that .080 do yourself a favor and call a team owner so we can watch you race on tv.
Ok we are not only talking about shifting SHARKY were talking about the M/T VS A/T. Honestly what do you think you 60ft would be on the MR. IF you say that the A/T will take of harder then the M/T then i am done talking to you. All i am saying is that the M/T is going to take off way harder then the A/T and i really dont think that it will caught up at all. And if the A/T is so good then why doesnt it smoke the GSR on the track. I actually saw a race where the GSR beat the MR please EXPLAIN. IF the GSR is keeping up that good then MANUAL ALL THE WAY
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:11 PM

The MR does not have A/T... There is a very very big difference between a sequential gearbox and an automatic transmission. I was also under the impression that the MR is slower in a drag race due to the added weight and NOT the lack of launching ability. Around a track, there is absolutely no doubt that the sequential tranny is better and if you think otherwise you clearly havent driven a car with it.

Last edited by 850glt; Apr 1, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 850glt
The MR does not have A/T... There is a very very big difference between a sequential gearbox and an automatic transmission. I was also under the impression that the MR is slower in a drag race due to the added weight and NOT the lack of launching ability. Around a track, there is absolutely no doubt that the sequential tranny is better and if you think otherwise you clearly havent driven a car with it.
Well i have seen a couble of VID. Both had pro drivers one the MR did beat the GSR but only by what less then half of a second. The second one Was with a group of cars which had the MR and the GSR. THE MR started off maybe 5 cars ahead and at the end of the Race the GSR caught it and beat the MR. SO you tell me if the MR A/T is so gread then why is the GSR keeping right up with it. Anyone PLZ
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

An other thing for every one that says the MR is not an A/T. If i ordered a car that was suppost to be a M/T and they gave me that i would be pissed off. The MR might not work like a regular A/T but if all you have to do is push the pedel down then i am sorry it's an A/T. Lets see what Mitsubishi saiys it is when they start to sell the car. Is it going to be listed as A/T or M/T

This has gotten way off topic. I just said that I would prefer a M/T. I no that the MR shift faster and it should for the price but HOW MUCH FASTER. The GSR is rated faster (USA version).

Originally Posted by svillata
wow, haven't posted in a few years, but have to say, what an assinine bunch of crap.

The MR does not have an A/T. It has a manual transmission where the clutch is computer controlled instead of controlled by your left foot.. think of it as a manual with a robot operating the clutch... a robot who can shift a helluva lot faster than you can with your pea brain operating your left leg, right foot and right hand.

anybody who is stupid enought to think an Evo's main purpose in life should be drag racing might not like the SST. For those of us who realize that an Evo is meant to be driven hard on fast on roads that have curves in them, then the SST is great.
And as for this guy i rather drag race the car a once a month rather then road racing the car. Come on now what do you think is worst for the car. I didnt pay 34g to just take the car on a rally cource and beat the **** out of it. Drag race only last 13 second. How long does a road race last. And i am pretty sure people are going to be doing a lot more Drag racing then road racing sorry but its a Fact.

Not trying to dis on the MR but i rather decided when i want to change gear and when i want to down shift rather then my Car. IMO M/T are a lot more fun
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:56 PM

even if the sst is better performance manuals are more fun to drive. id buy a gtr if it didnt have paddles so i am just saving the money and paying cash for a new evo x.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 05:56 PM
Evolved Member

Most of the time those who buy auto are to much of little *****es to learn manual. Scared little pansies. My friend went with a FREE(parents) WRX instead of STI simply because it offered auto..they offered to pay either price....how pathetic is that?

Originally Posted by morgan320i
even if the sst is better performance manuals are more fun to drive. id buy a gtr if it didnt have paddles so i am just saving the money and paying cash for a new evo x.
I was in that boat. I was waiting originally for the GT-R. When I found out the price and that it is AT it was a deal break. I knew it was going to be the EVO or STI..than when I saw(and laughed really hard) the way the STI looks...I bought the EVO.

Last edited by love9sick; Apr 1, 2008 at 06:03 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

First off, everyone, be happy they even put a manual in the X because they could have followed suit with what VW did to the R32 and offer in only a DSG. They did it becasue, as someone said on here earlier, autos sell better than manuals. It was a financial decision. Mitsu could have done the same thing. We can all be thankful they didn't.

I personally really enjoy the "art" of shifting and extra level of involvement that comes from pushing the clutch and moving the stick through the gears. It's fun I agree.

In a drag race where you need to launch - the manual is probably faster as we have seen in the tests. But if your're autocrossing, tracking or just driving the hell out of a windy road, the downshifts in the turns can get tricky and SST will have big advantages.

In a manual you'll need to likely heel-toe to rev match (so you can continue to brake) when you downshift for the turns. There is a lot of room for error and not everyone can do it successfully. In an SST it's one click and you're done.

My theory for the reason the GSR can keep up and even surpass the MR on the track is because those drivers are the gods of heel-toe upshifting. If you're even only mediocre at it, the SST will eat you up - I'm sure of it.

Last edited by Evo_Someday; Apr 1, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Someday
First off, everyone, be happy they even put a manual in the X because they could have followed suit with what VW did to the R32 and offer in only a DSG.

I personally really enjoy the "art" of shifting and extra level of involvement that comes from pushing the clutch and moving the stick through the gears. It's fun I agree.

In a drag race where you need to launch - the manual is probably faster as we have seen in the tests. But if your're autocrossing, tracking or just driving the hell out of a windy road, the downshifts in the turns can get tricky and SST will have big advantages.

In a manual you'll need to likely heel-toe to rev match (so you can continue to brake) when you downshift for the turns. There is a lot of room for error and not everyone can do it successfully. In an SST it's one click and you're done.

My theory for the reason the GSR can keep up and even surpass the MR on the track is because those drivers are the gods of heel-toe upshifting. If you're even only mediocre at it, the SST will eat you up - I'm sure of it.
There is a satisfaction in improving yourself on the track with a manual. I don't understand auto especially in drag racing..the car drives for you..there is no difference between the driver and the passenger other than you hold down the gas...lame. In reality though really good drivers can keep a car in the perfect gear and always be in the right power band..there isn't that much of a need for a down shift every turn.

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t