Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I didnt pay 34g to just take the car on a rally cource and beat the **** out of it. Drag race only last 13 second. How long does a road race last. And i am pretty sure people are going to be doing a lot more Drag racing then road racing sorry but its a Fact."

So you spent 34g to drag race a car that comes from 19 yrs of rally and autocross heritage? You bought a car that is world renowned for its handling and all you wanna do is push it in a straight line for under 13 seconds? Then you wanna come on this forum and talk down on technology you can't understand and don't want to accept?

"Most of the time those who buy auto are to much of little *****es to learn manual. Scared little pansies."

Ya I really hate those little *****es that drive sequential manual transmissions ... like Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen. Only real pansies drive open cockpit carbon fiber bodied 'autos' at 220mph.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kisada
"Most of the time those who buy auto are to much of little *****es to learn manual. Scared little pansies."

Ya I really hate those little *****es that drive sequential manual transmissions ... like Lewis Hamilton and Kimi Raikkonen. Only real pansies drive open cockpit carbon fiber bodied 'autos' at 220mph.
Oh sweet, we are going to compare powerful sequential trannies to the tip tronic BS that comes in all street cars. Nice. I stand by what I said...though I made sure to use the word "most" just because I know people like you will come in and try to use some famous driver as an excuse. I don't know where you got the drag strip stuff from but I will take the manual on the circuit track as well.

Last edited by love9sick; Apr 1, 2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

where do you think technologies like DSG, SMT, and SST come from?
F-1 and famous drivers aren't the only ones that uses these technologies.

You should really grow up and learn to talk/debate without being such a little boy (for example "little *****es" and "*****"). People who can't state opinions or talk without swearing lower the quality of a discussion/forum.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
Evolved Member

where do you think technologies like DSG, SMT, and SST come from?
F-1 and famous drivers aren't the only ones that uses these technologies.

You should really grow up and learn to talk/debate without being such a little boy (for example "little *****es" and "*****"). People who can't state opinions or talk without swearing lower the quality of a discussion/forum.
What is there to debate about? A thread was named "Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t" and it seems like more than 80% of the people prefer manual. manual is more classic and gives a feeling like you are actually driving the car. It is also more challenging...which is a good thing...because like I said it keeps sissy girls driving the automatic. I think a lot of people have already stated also that they don't even care if it does improve performance(though we all know it is the driver on the track and not the tranny) . Don't know what you are talking about with the swearing. So I throw a swear word in once in a while out of habit...oh noez
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:14 PM

Interesting posts yet again on this topic.

There were quotes of "sissy girls" and "a "real Evo should be M/T"
I guess the guy driving this sub standard Evo has to be the biggest sissy of them all:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSYTTUOoghU

Also I guess the WRC Evo's were never real Evos for having sequential manual transmissions.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Lancer_WRC

I find it interesting that as Evo owners we can proudly claim the Evo as our performance champion based on it's racing history/pedigree . But then turn and release the hounds on a model that actually has technology that is used that same proven racing history.

Where was all of the drive train components such as the active differentials that are in the current models tested and proven? Not on our commute to work, which is were most of our cars will be.

The other interesting comment I saw here was that drag racing would be easier on the car because it's only 13 seconds.... ok, I guess the forces the transmission and drive train sees when launching the car is also not an issue because it only lasts milliseconds.

All of the cars I've owned have been manual transmissions (84 Audi quattro 4000s, 97 GSX, 05 Evo VIII), but I'd gladly hop into a SST equipped Evo.

There's a track day coming up here in NE in a few weeks and I can't think of
a better place to see how much of sub standard Evo the SST Evo would be in comparison to my VIII. I think I'd be having way too much fun to bother.

Everyone has their own personal preference as to what makes their driving experience more involved, for me it's autoX and more track days if possible with a SST Evo.
But that doesn't mean that I'd declare one model not a true Evo because the production model has an automated manual transmission.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

That's why I got the GSR too.

P.S. ^- Thats me on the weekends. lol.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The bottom line is that if you don't have a clutch pedal, there is no way for the car to be as involving to drive. A clutch physically connects one to the car and requires 100% involvement. Involvement is what makes driving a car fun. Fun is exactly why I bought an Evo. So, that is why I would not buy an MR. It is inevitable that it is ultimately not going to be as fun to drive as the GSR.

I'm just ultimately dissappointed that there is no "reinforced" six-speed. I do alot of highway driving and 5 close-ratio gears would just suck. The rpms are high enough when i'm in my 6th gear now - I can't imagine how bad it would be if I only had five to work with.

The X MR was not designed for the typically younger crowd that bought the VIII and IX...which saddens me more than anything else.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's a matter choice. can not impose one's choice on another.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

i guess the steering wheel, gas and brake pedals are there just to hold on with... I would still feel 100% involved driving with an automated MANUAL gearbox. The only concern i would have with purchasing one would be how much power it could handle. The Evo's 5-speed has already been proven to hold massive power. I would love to have a X MR, but im happy with my 8.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thatmr2guy
tell an f1 racer that if he was a real racer he would have never used a sequential gear box!

whenever you can focus more on your line, and have perfect consistent shifts you will always be a leg up on a standard m/t. the sequential manual transmissions are rampant in pro racing. its not about feel its about performance.

Of course clubbing an animal to death maybe more fun than shooting it with a 30.06......

Tc-SST is the ultimate transmission, I couldn't agree more with what you said! Manual transmissions will one day be forgotten, I swear this whole manual vs. Tc-SST thing is worse than Dylan going electric. If your buying the manual for looks, thats a sad excuse, the Tc-SST won't hamper your ego when you pull much more consistent times at the track!

It comes down to excepting change, people not being able to except the fact an auto matted machine can out shift their ego inflated 5sp. I'm not trying to open any cans for worms as I'm buying the GSR myself but would much rather own the more expensive Tc-SST MR. To each their own, just my thoughts on the whole situation.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Resist the syst
Tc-SST is the ultimate transmission, I couldn't agree more with what you said! Manual transmissions will one day be forgotten, I swear this whole manual vs. Tc-SST thing is worse than Dylan going electric. If your buying the manual for looks, thats a sad excuse, the Tc-SST won't hamper your ego when you pull much more consistent times at the track!

It comes down to excepting change, people not being able to except the fact an auto matted machine can out shift their ego inflated 5sp. I'm not trying to open any cans for worms as I'm buying the GSR myself but would much rather own the more expensive Tc-SST MR. To each their own, just my thoughts on the whole situation.
I agree, stick driver really pride themselves in driving manual and they looks down on all the people who drives automatic. I don't get it, why do you guys care so much if I drive manual or automatic? And yes, one day manual transmission will be forgotten, same with gasoline engine...
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:24 PM

Ha ha.

Everyone, be prepared for these conversations to start getting locked. They did all the time on M3 forum (SMG vs. 6MT).

So much worry from the M/T crowd.

Here is my take:

1) The SST is not an A/T. Does it have a torque converter....no. Its also not a true M/T. I just group them all into the Sequential manual category (DSG/DCT/SST/SMG, etc)

2) One is not better than the other in all situations.
- A M/T is going to be able to launch harder and should win a drag race.
- From a roll, the SST will provide a SMALL advantage
- on a track (roadcourse) the SST will provide a sure advantage. It allows two hands on the wheel at all times and left foot braking. There is a reason rally cars and F1 cars have this feature.

3) One is not more "involving" than the other. Sure, if you leave you SST in auto mode all day then of course a manual is more involving. But if you never put yours in auto mode (I never did in M3) then its just as involving, but in a different way. You still have to know what gear you are in, you still have to downshift and upshift. You can left foot brake instead of clutching it.

4) Having a M/T does not make you more of a man. Its just a choice and surprise...not everyone agrees with you. If you do think this is true, well then I think you are compensating for something.

EDIT: By the way, I've owned automatics (Camaros....much better for drag racing over 6MT...just swap the torque converter and take .4 off your 1/4 mile time, not to mention 2 second 60 ft times without trying), manual transmission cars (Civic and WRX) and sequential manual (SMG) and think that all of them have pros and cons.

Last edited by sleeks; Apr 1, 2008 at 09:26 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"I didnt pay 34g to just take the car on a rally cource and beat the **** out of it. Drag race only last 13 second. How long does a road race last. And i am pretty sure people are going to be doing a lot more Drag racing then road racing sorry but its a Fact."

So you spent 34g to drag race a car that comes from 19 yrs of rally and autocross heritage? You bought a car that is world renowned for its handling and all you wanna do is push it in a straight line for under 13 seconds? Then you wanna come on this forum and talk down on technology you can't understand and don't want to accept?

dude, Kisada, I share your frustration with the mental midgets in this thread, but you are wasting your time trying to make these folks understand. Anybody who would call the sst or dsg or smg an "automatic" will never understand what is going on. You obviously know what you are talking about, but you can't make others understand if they choose not to.

personally, I think racing a horse driven chariot would be far more difficult and challenging than driving a car with a clutch.... maybe only REAL MEN race chariots

i 100% understand why some people would prefer a 5spd or 6sd with a manual clutch. ESPECIALLY if modding. that is cool, everybody has preferences. What I don't understand is how car enthusiests, Evo enthusiests, can be so completely ignorant about potential upside of the SST.. about the serious performance reasons behind the transmission....the history of it in racing, the history of their beloved Evo in racing... how they can be so vehement in their dislike of it and be so clueless.? why don't they all just stick to Hond Civics with big wings... fits you clowns better.

Why do they think Ferrari has been using it for 10 years starting with th 355? the general consensus among Ferrari owners is that the F1 transmission is better / faster on a track, while many still prefer the regular manual for everyday driving. F-wners The F1 was developed and offered because of it PERFORMANCE ADVANTAGE... not for convenience. And the same is true with the SST.

I don't understand why most of the children would NOT buy an MR because of the SST.... if you are seriously into modding as some of you claim, then you would not waste the extra money on the MR anyway... because why would you pay more money for some extra luxury, more weight, extra sound deadening, diff suspension and brakes, etc if you intend on modding it all anyway ? that would make no sense. So for those of you who are seriously modding, you shouldnt be considering an MR anyway, even if it had a standard 6spd. So stop crying about the SST.

And whatever knotthead called it a a "tip".. dude, read up a bit. A tip is an AUTOMATIC. And in my opinion, is boring and lacks performance (which is why its not in the GT3 or GT2, the TOP 997 performance models.. the turbo is NOT the top performance model). The sst is nothing like the tiptronic. Its more like the F1 offered by Ferrari.

Its cool that someone would prefer a 5spd or 6spd manual insted of SST, but is just insane that they make up these dumbass arguments against the SST , putting it down, when they clearly have no idea what they are talking about.

its funny because over on a Ferrari forum, the discussion about F1 vs standard 6spd is much much more educated and civil. THose who PREFER the normal transmission are honest... its just personal preference... but they readily admit the performance advantage of the F1 for track or serious performance driving... nobod feels the need to make up stupid nonsensical arguments to put down he F1....

Last edited by svillata; Apr 1, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 09:48 PM
Evolving Member

Svillata for president! If I could afford the MR I would defiantly head in that direction! But I'm getting the aero package and sss, that would put me way over what I'm willing to pay monthly on an MR, however I will openly except charity! I can see it now, Resist The Systems "Tc-SST fund". 7 years of stick shift will have me blue in the face, by that time I'll have my degree completed and making much better money. The 18th is getting closer, I'm now just weeks away from buying the GSR (GOD WILLING)!

P.S. If you're buying an evo for it's heritage in WRC, why waste your time with the manual! F1 and WRC are all paddle oriented!
Old Apr 1, 2008, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Wow...

Well nuh-uh, MINE's bigger than yours!!!

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t