Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the bottom line is that some of us just prefer to do the clutch ourselves for whatever reason (fun, reliability, durability, modability, etc). I personally did not opt out of the MR because I believe the 5spd is a faster way of getting around a track, but because i find a lot of fun in heel-toeing, rev matching, double clutching, etc. Personally I wanted the MR because of the bluetooth, bilsteins, 6th gear, and the sexy *** wheels/brakes, but decided that the tradeoffs (wait, price, trans) were not worth it.

I dont think the OP meant to get into a battle of which transmission is superior, but rather just wanted peoples general opinion on whether or not people opted out of the MR because, for whatever reason, they wanted a good old fashion manual.

So why all the bickering?
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
because threads like this bring out all the clueless idiots who thing they have to justify their purchase by ripping on things they clearly don't begin to understand. case in point:

Originally Posted by Canexican
The bottom line is that if you don't have a clutch pedal, there is no way for the car to be as involving to drive.
^^ you are an idiot.

there are only 2 solid arguments against the SST: launch times (very few of us can honestly justify making that argument, and those few have sponsors) and max power potential (its not like the stock MT clutch is much/any better, but its easier to upgrade). Unless you have a DAMNED specific agenda that requires one of those, then the only reason to go for the MT is a) cant afford the MR, b) too insecure with you masculinity, or c) too ignorant to understand. Any other excuses are just people not being honest with themselves.

come to think of it, if the aftermarket is eventually able to service the TC-SST trans and mod it so it can handle more power and be tuned to take the abuse (more aggressive launch control), I'd expect any serious drag evo to run that over the 5MT, hands down.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
there are only 2 solid arguments against the SST: launch times (very few of us can honestly justify making that argument, and those few have sponsors) and max power potential (its not like the stock MT clutch is much/any better, but its easier to upgrade).
Hold on for a sec.... I bought my evo because I love driving, and one of the things I love about driving is controlling the clutch myself. Are you saying that this is not a solid argument against the SST?

I could also get around a track faster if I hired Sabine Schmitt to do the driving for me, but personally Id rather do it myself.
Old Apr 1, 2008, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Reading people's hate posts about the SST reminds me of when I used to read all the posts that had nothing but bad things to say about the X. It seemed like everywhere I went on the internet everyone was already calling the X out to be a total failure (and some people/posts still claim that the X is worthless).

But now the X is out and aftermarket vendors and tuners are starting to bring that true evo spirit out from under the matured creature comfort laden new body of the newest generation Evolution. The people who were hating on the X's possible performance potential are being defeated by dyno runs, track times, and first hand reports of how well the new car performs. So they often fall back on things such as "durability and reliability" which are yet to be proven.

As for those who hated on the new look of the X. Style and looks are subjective. To each his own. I have noticed that many people have posted comments such as "I used to hate the looks of the X but seeing it dropped and on those rims it looks hot". Have also seen more than a handful of VIII and IX owners trade in their previous Evos for the new X.

Another bone of contention I often read about is how overpriced the new X is. Obviously people who feel the X is overpriced have not called Sam or any of the other sales people from South Coast Mitsubishi. True the MR is very pricey but the GSR is well within the price ranges of anyone who was able to afford an VIII or IX.

I think its funny how many people seem to hate changes yet claim to be 'evolution' fans.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:26 AM

I dont blame you. Shifting the gears is half the fun of driving. Id turn it down also.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I don't see what the big deal is.
WRC cars have paddles since about 1993, and F1 longer.

People who like changing gear themselves are like the annoying people who still go on about how much better vinyl music is.

Nobody here can change gears quicker than this box, so it's faster. In a perfromance car that matters.

If some people perfer pulling on a long stick, thats their business.

Evo's always push the technology envelope - it's a pity some of their owners can't do the same..

A manual gearbox in traffic is a pita. This gives the best of both worlds with faster shifts, and pretty soon every car will have this type of box.
Get used to it.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
because threads like this bring out all the clueless idiots who thing they have to justify their purchase by ripping on things they clearly don't begin to understand. case in point:

^^ you are an idiot.

there are only 2 solid arguments against the SST: launch times (very few of us can honestly justify making that argument, and those few have sponsors) and max power potential (its not like the stock MT clutch is much/any better, but its easier to upgrade). Unless you have a DAMNED specific agenda that requires one of those, then the only reason to go for the MT is a) cant afford the MR, b) too insecure with you masculinity, or c) too ignorant to understand. Any other excuses are just people not being honest with themselves.

come to think of it, if the aftermarket is eventually able to service the TC-SST trans and mod it so it can handle more power and be tuned to take the abuse (more aggressive launch control), I'd expect any serious drag evo to run that over the 5MT, hands down.
Perhaps you'd enjoy a car that steers for you too. I'm sure a computer will be able to do that better than a human in the near future as well.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wanted an MR, but won't get one because of the SST. I wanted a manual so I am now buying a GSR.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Lexus already has a car that dose that, but that's way off the beaten path here.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

wow another one of these?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by theoverachiever
Hold on for a sec.... I bought my evo because I love driving, and one of the things I love about driving is controlling the clutch myself. Are you saying that this is not a solid argument against the SST?

I could also get around a track faster if I hired Sabine Schmitt to do the driving for me, but personally Id rather do it myself.
Thats personal preference and your opinion and it does count as a solid arguement against SST for YOU. But not for me.

I need to copy my signature from m3forum and use it here.

Factual:

1) M/T can launch harder
2) SST can shift faster

Beyond that its really personal preference. If you like to row your own, I'm happy for you. But the computer in my car controls my fuel, ignition timing, navigation, Ipod, air/fuel mixture, acceleration, traction/handling, etc. I'm not overly concerned if it does some of the transmission work as well....as long as I can pick what gear I am in, whats the difference? To me, none. To you, it might be boring. Its simply personal preference.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Perhaps you'd enjoy a car that steers for you too. I'm sure a computer will be able to do that better than a human in the near future as well.
Originally Posted by steinvb12
I wanted an MR, but won't get one because of the SST. I wanted a manual so I am now buying a GSR.
BMW does too....Jeremy "drove" it around their track on Top Gear.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:01 AM
Evolving Member

Jeremy rocks, he's defiantly my car guru idol!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by DirectorSe7en
How can anyone criticize a car they haven't driven?

This thread =

+1
and hilarious picture.

Its been the same regurgitated argument against the sst for months now. "I drove a tiburon once with tiptronic and it was garbage! This is also despite the fact any reviewer who's driven the car has nothing but praises to sing about the sst and how it performs -that its about as close to a formula 1 shifting experience as you can get, etc.

Mods may want to consider making a sticky "SST sux for the X even though I've never driven a X with SST" mega-merge.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
+1
and hilarious picture.

Its been the same regurgitated argument against the sst for months now. "I drove a tiburon once with tiptronic and it was garbage! This is also despite the fact any reviewer who's driven the car has nothing but praises to sing about the sst and how it performs -that its about as close to a formula 1 shifting experience as you can get, etc.

Mods may want to consider making a sticky "SST sux for the X even though I've never driven a X with SST" mega-merge.
I've driven sequential manuals before and I don't care how fast or smooth they make them, they're boring and unengaging to drive.

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t