Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MrBonus
I've driven sequential manuals before and I don't care how fast or smooth they make them, they're boring and unengaging to drive.

I've driven plenty of other cars that are AWD and turbocharged too. Doesn't mean I've driven a X with SST. If you have, and find it to be just as boring than I retract my statement. Otherwise, the point still stands. People are knocking a product they haven't tried.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your all a bunch of cry babies.

Boohoo, paddle shifters....awe cry about it.

I suppose none of you guys would take the GTR then eh?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136

No way bro. Things must remain the way I have always remembered them to be otherwise its just not driving anymore and by virtue of it diminishing my heterosexuality, the car will morph into a prius.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

I guess F1,WRC drivers aren't really driving anymore either than...and by what you say, in your world, could all be gay?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

And BTW you are full of ****, if you had the option to take a GTR over a H pattern shifting style car, you would take it.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boozeup&riot
I've driven plenty of other cars that are AWD and turbocharged too. Doesn't mean I've driven a X with SST. If you have, and find it to be just as boring than I retract my statement. Otherwise, the point still stands. People are knocking a product they haven't tried.
The act of having a computer shift for you isn't some dynamic event that changes drastically from car to car. Some shift faster and smoother but none of them compare to the involvement of a traditional manual.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If I had the money for a X, it would be a tough decision between GSR and MR. I enjoy manual shifting just as much as the next guy. It just seems counter-productive to opt away from a car that has been tested and shown to get around a track faster, just because it doesn't launch the best. It's really a question of what do you want to get out of the car. Are you just wanting to use a car with super all wheel control to just go in one direction from a stop ,or do want to use the car for what it was designed for, the corners. It seems that the two main arguments have been connectedness with the car, and launching. As far as the modability of the new transmission goes, the aftermarket will catch up, just give it time. I'd be more concerned with improving myself as a driver to get the car to be quicker. In the end, I would have to drive both to make the decision, otherwise I would be ignorant to change, and that's not what evolution is about.

Plus, if I spent that much money on a car, I would at least want to know for sure that I bought the version that most agrees with my driving style. $32,000+ buyer's remorse is not something I want to experience.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

The act of having a computer shift for you isn't some dynamic event that changes drastically from car to car. Some shift faster and smoother but none of them compare to the involvement of a traditional manual.
You have the option of shifting the car yourself - something everyone seems to be glossing over, or just countering with, "ya but no third pedal bro! NO THIRD PEDAL!"

"involvement" is a relative term. Some may appreciate being able to keep both hands on the wheel while throwing it around corners - what the car was meant for anyway.

My argument still stands. If you haven't driven it, stop beating the same dead horse. No one has yet been able to answer why they are so critical of a car they **HAVEN'T DRIVEN.** X owners didn't like it when IX owners did the same thing with their cars, I really fail to see how this is much different.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 2, 2008 at 09:49 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136

I won't buy a GTR until they offer a traditional manual. I have no interest in it in its current state.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:46 AM
Evolved Member

You have the option of shifting the car yourself. "involvement" is a relative term. Some may appreciate being able to keep both hands on the wheel while throwing it around corners - what the car was meant for anyway.
Right, and for me, paddle shifting isn't involving enough. If you enjoy them, more power to you. It's just not my thing.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 09:57 AM

its all an opinion it may be faster i know rally and f1 use it but anything on a track or fast in the dirt is fun my prerunner is fun its an auto but for daily driving or nice roads or just on the highway i enjoy a stick
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

I'm wondering if any of the people who claim that driving without shifting is boring have ever taking a racing class, or even raced on a road course (NOT oval) in their life, let alone in anything without a clutch pedal. This only holds if you dont use your brakes or steering wheel (drag racing). If you haven't, try something like the Skip Barber Racing School Mazda MX-5 course, that uses a manual 6-speed, then try the Forumula open wheel day course. When the instructor makes you spin out the MX-5 while shifting through a turn to 'see what it feels like', I bet you'll hope you never have to shift again Its not cheap, but that experience will make you a much faster driver than if you spent the same money on a few mods. Karting courses are a lot cheaper, and you cover a lot of the same ideas. Schools here.

Oh, and speaking of cars steering for you
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Right, and for me, paddle shifting isn't involving enough. If you enjoy them, more power to you. It's just not my thing.

thats fine, I am not saying you can't have an opinion. I'm only requesting that you and others not state your opinions/preferences as fact, when relating them to a car you have never driven. I realize you have driven other vehicles equipped with a paddle shifter but not all products are created equally. If its good enough for F-1, its good enough for me to at least withhold judgment.

I think we are just going to have to agree to disagree here. You want to judge something you haven't driven, go nuts. I don't see any point in it. I respect your opinion, I just think people should be a little more open to the possibility that it **may not suck.**

Last edited by boozeup&riot; Apr 2, 2008 at 10:47 AM.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

My argument still stands. If you haven't driven it, stop beating the same dead horse. No one has yet been able to answer why they are so critical of a car they **HAVEN'T DRIVEN.** X owners didn't like it when IX owners did the same thing with their cars, I really fail to see how this is much different.
I own an X. I've driven paddle shifting sequential manuals. I fail to see how the combination of the two will present an epiphany or change in opinion.

Originally Posted by blk-majik
I'm wondering if any of the people who claim that driving without shifting is boring have ever taking a racing class, or even raced on a road course (NOT oval) in their life, let alone in anything without a clutch pedal. This only holds if you dont use your brakes or steering wheel (drag racing). If you haven't, try something like the Skip Barber Racing School Mazda MX-5 course, that uses a manual 6-speed, then try the Forumula open wheel day course. When the instructor makes you spin out the MX-5 while shifting through a turn to 'see what it feels like', I bet you'll hope you never have to shift again Its not cheap, but that experience will make you a much faster driver than if you spent the same money on a few mods. Karting courses are a lot cheaper, and you cover a lot of the same ideas. Schools here.

I have and this is largely irrelevant to my opinion on sequential manuals.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blk-majik

I love blind generalizations and labeling like you did to me calling me an idiot for voicing my opinion on auto-manuals. Explain to me how a car shifting for you equates to being as-involving or more-involving in the overall driving experience?

I've driven cars like the auto-paddle shift MX-5's at autocross days. Its a fun car, but it was not as fun as driving a manual. Those that argue that F1 and WRC use sequential gearboxes...GOOD FOR THEM. Thats professional racing in professional racecars where milliseconds equates to millions of dollars. Last time I checked, the Evo MR is not a racecar. Just because it shifts faster does not mean that it is better (more fun) than a manual. Get off your horse that those that would prefer to be traditionalists are "ignorant" because they don't see the light of a car shifting for you. I want to be in COMPLETE control of the car at all times. COMPLETE means that I want to shift the freakin' thing. Why is that such a difficult concept to understand?

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t