Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008 | 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Nez136
Your all a bunch of cry babies.

Boohoo, paddle shifters....awe cry about it.

I suppose none of you guys would take the GTR then eh?
Nope i rather take the extra $35,000 and smoke the GTR IMO
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

I just couldn't see myself in a car that I couldn't get that slam in clutch, banging gears feeling .. a two pedal evo?? ... eh I didn't even consider it .. and I woulda probably bought the MR if it was a true manual ..
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 02:57 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ExcessLancer
I prefer the SST cause no money shifts , no clutch issues , and a free right hand to fondle my dates..!!
ummmm "No cluthch issues" How do you know that. Do you know somthing that i dont.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AsH74
Sorry but there should be one minor correction in your statement above.
Yes the SST can drive like an A/T if you want it to.
BUT if you have it set to manual mode, the car will not shift until you shift it.
That is a big difference in comparison to a blanket statement that the car shifts like an A/T. It's been mentioned more than once by the same person in this thread and yet it's still being over-looked.

My take on the SST behavior based on the release document that put out is that you could bounce the car off the rev limiter in say 2nd gear until you shift (by using the paddle or the stick) to go to third.

Which is what I can do today with my M/T, only difference is now with the SST the clutch actuation is done via an ecu signal.
Ok VW along with many other A/T have thoes where you can drive A/T or they can switch it over to a slap stick also but there still A/T. When the Evo X MR (in manual MODE) can switch from 6th gear to 3rd gear with out have to go 6gear, 5gear, 4gear, then 3gear let me know.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:19 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Joe's Evo X
Ok VW along with many other A/T have thoes where you can drive A/T or they can switch it over to a slap stick also but there still A/T. When the Evo X MR (in manual MODE) can switch from 6th gear to 3rd gear with out have to go 6gear, 5gear, 4gear, then 3gear let me know.
EDIT: Just read something about DSG (not sure if it applies to SST). DSG can actually skip gears and go from 6th to 4th or 3rd or whatever gear you choose. And, upshifts are even faster than downshifts at 8 milliseconds. That's faster than you can blink an eye. So, what I posted below is a little off. The transmission will actually downshift even faster than I thought!

http://cars.about.com/od/thingsyoune...owDSGworks.htm

We all know it can't jump gears since it has to go in order (I was wrong, see note above). But, it can go from 6th...5th...4th...3rd faster than you can shift from 5th to 3rd in your GSR. For reference, VW's DSG downshifts in 200ms or .2 seconds. Shifting from 6th to 3rd would only take .6 seconds. The X's SST is supposed to shift just as fast as DSG.

So, as soon as you can knock off a perfect shift every single time (DSG and SST will also perfectly rev-match on a downshift) and do it faster than DSG or SST, let us know.

Last edited by atombomb33; Apr 2, 2008 at 04:27 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
EDIT: Just read something about DSG (not sure if it applies to SST). DSG can actually skip gears and go from 6th to 4th or 3rd or whatever gear you choose. And, upshifts are even faster than downshifts at 8 milliseconds. That's faster than you can blink an eye. So, what I posted below is a little off. The transmission will actually downshift even faster than I thought!

We all know it can't jump gears since it has to go in order (I was wrong, see note above). But, it can go from 6th...5th...4th...3rd faster than you can shift from 5th to 3rd in your GSR. For reference, VW's DSG downshifts in 200ms or .2 seconds. Shifting from 6th to 3rd would only take .6 seconds. The X's SST is supposed to shift just as fast as DSG.

So, as soon as you can knock off a perfect shift every single time (DSG and SST will also perfectly rev-match on a downshift) and do it faster than DSG or SST, let us know.
Not in it for the TIME i am in it for the FEEL so ill stick with M/T but good info tho.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boybeatertsi
I just couldn't see myself in a car that I couldn't get that slam in clutch, banging gears feeling .. a two pedal evo?? ... eh I didn't even consider it .. and I woulda probably bought the MR if it was a true manual ..
W3rd
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:36 PM

^^
You beat me to it....
Here's another reference of shift speeds up and down for various transmissions.
http://www.autozine.org/technical_sc...ch_gear_manual
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:37 PM
EvoM Community Team

Not in it for the TIME i am in it for the FEEL so ill stick with M/T but good info tho.
Can't argue one bit with the "feel" part of it. That's a personal preference thing that works for you.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:45 PM
Evolving Member

well, if you like to actually drive fast then get the MR, if you want to feel like you are going fast then get the GSR. This forum is starting to sound like a group of hippies... its not about the numbers its how you feeeel man..
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:46 PM
Evolved Member

do you know for sure that shift times are always X time should you sequence through a series of gears as compared to just shifting one gear up or down?
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 04:56 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by CleverUserName
do you know for sure that shift times are always X time should you sequence through a series of gears as compared to just shifting one gear up or down?
Not certain if the math works that linearly. One of the links in the post above says that shifting from 6th to 2nd gear takes 900ms, so .9 seconds.
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

To quote a friend in an argument he was having..."Just because i dont mod or track my evo doesn't mean i shouldnt have one. My reasons for having one don't have to match yours"...Everyone has their preference. You can change the fact there still will be people buying the Evo X MR and some will not. Leave it at that and stop complaining
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuEVO8kid
To quote a friend in an argument he was having..."Just because i dont mod or track my evo doesn't mean i shouldnt have one. My reasons for having one don't have to match yours"...Everyone has their preference. You can change the fact there still will be people buying the Evo X MR and some will not. Leave it at that and stop complaining
+1
Old Apr 2, 2008 | 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Interesting!! Even if it takes a bit longer to shift from 6th to 3rd when would you do that?? It would make sense only if you are either racing of doing some spiritual driving where you probably shouldn't. If you are cruising at 70 mph in 6th what is the special benefit for someone to shift into the 3rd? I can't see it, but maybe someone will.

Now, while racing (and all of those other forms of driving that imply driving the car at 7 tenths or higher) if you are doing full blown 6th gear you would have to be driving over 140 mph in order to make sense to do so. If you want to downshift to 3rd you first have to slow down to around 100 mph at least or even lower. In order to do so it will take much more time then to just slap the shifter into the 3rd. Yes, you might even be able to do so in your 5 speed EVO, but you might not be able to tell us about since you would have a great chance to hurt your self beyond what should be acceptable. So, the time you will need to actually slow the car so you can actually use that 3rd gear effectively is way longer then it takes any trainy to go from 6th to 3rd.

Either way, what you are claiming here has no serious use in driving and especially racing of the car. So, could you tell us again why did you raise this to such a high level??

And remember, your car which is so superior doesn't even have a 6th gear to go to 3rd!

Fedja

Quick Reply: Evo X Mr Turned Down Because Of A/t