Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Oil Filter Time

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2008, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Mistubishi oil filters have been produced by Denso for quite a long time. I have not seen a significant change in the design (casing, anti-bypass valve, and media) for over 10 years.... just my .02
Old Apr 19, 2008, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks , for the INFO.

Originally Posted by Oil Doc
Save the mess, save the trouble.... I can supply you with a cut apart pic of a WIX filter which is a NAPA Gold...

Very well constructed utilizing and actual spring for the by-pass valve instead of a piece of stamped bi-metal, heavy cans and premium quality anti-drain back valves where required.

I can even supply you with the nominal Micron Rating.. Ah heck.. I might as well just give it to you now....

Part Number: 57092
UPC Number: 765809570924
Principal Application: Chrysler Sebring (01-05), Dodge Stratus (01-05), Mitsubishi (99-08)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 2.944
Outer Diameter Top: 3.243
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 14
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20-14/30
Burst Pressure-PSI: 330
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Doc
Old Apr 19, 2008, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

who would have taught that a thread about oil filters would reach three pages
Old Apr 19, 2008, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Let's head it to 4
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:24 PM

If you want to get serious about filtering, install a bypass filtration unit. Most of them will filter down to 1 micron.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Most studies show if you can get down to 5 microns there is no more damaging parts in the oil. the other factor here is the fact the oil will breakdown over time and not function as well regardless if its clean, but it should last alot longer if it didnt have abunch of debris.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RayH
If you want to get serious about filtering, install a bypass filtration unit. Most of them will filter down to 1 micron.

That is correct... And if you look at the Evo page in my Signature, you will find a system there..

Doc

Old Apr 20, 2008, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mksevo
Most studies show if you can get down to 5 microns there is no more damaging parts in the oil. the other factor here is the fact the oil will breakdown over time and not function as well regardless if its clean, but it should last alot longer if it didnt have abunch of debris.

65% of wear caused by dirt is caused by particulate in the 5-25 Micron Range.

The Oil itself does not really break-down.

With a By-Pass set-up such as the one I sell, You change the filters periodically, preferably using Oil Analysis as a tool, and top off the oil which renews the additive packs.

I have Diesel Pick-ups that will run 200,000 or better on an oil change, through using analysis, just by changing filters and topping off.

If you can find a place to mount my By-pass set-up, I can also supply a petcock to pull the analysis from.

Doc

Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

do you have dimensions of or a picture of the bypass setup. I have read alittle on these systems but not heavily. thanks
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

there has always been a "denso" label on every oem filter i have seen, evo and base lancer. this thread is a bit silly. don't buy cheap things that support the vitals of an expensive car. go oem or better always.

i guarantee if you are using a high quality oil and filter, regardless of whether one premium filter is slightly better than the other, you will be fine and not notice any difference at all. in fact, if you are using any good oil and filter, something else will kill your car long before the minuscule difference between oil brands will have become an issue (assuming they ever could become an issue)

Now, if you are running 2x or 3x stock horsepower and beat your car silly, then maybe you should be asking someone about the difference between mobil 1 and amsoil. Otherwise, it's just foolish
Old Apr 21, 2008, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mksevo
do you have dimensions of or a picture of the bypass setup. I have read alittle on these systems but not heavily. thanks

You can see a pic on the page in my Signature and seeing that several filters will fit, I will see if I can come up with dimensions using the filters I recommend installed...

Doc

Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:25 PM

I use the Purolator Pure One filters. They are very well designed and appear to the have the same design as the mobil one filters AND very similar to the original OEM style filters (long and thin) rather than the current OEM filters (fat and stubby).
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

According to my charts, the short, fatter filter is for the EVO and the longer, skinnier filter is for the Lancer and ralliart...

They are interchangeable and have the same internal specs.

Doc
Old Apr 22, 2008, 10:10 AM

Mitsubishi no longer sell the longer, skinnier filters through their dealerships. When Mitsu decided to make the change to fatter, shorter filters, there were hords of Evo owners looking for the old longer, skinnier filters.
Old Apr 22, 2008, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kimletrim
Mitsubishi no longer sell the longer, skinnier filters through their dealerships. When Mitsu decided to make the change to fatter, shorter filters, there were hords of Evo owners looking for the old longer, skinnier filters.
That's the first I have heard of that. Two weeks ago I bought the skinnier filter at a Mitsu dealership in madison, wi. They did have both, and I love the fact that the service guys never know why they have two kinds. They do both work on either car I believe.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Time