Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X A Pillar Gauge Pod

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2008 | 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Evo X A Pillar Gauge Pod

Are there any in production yet or any in the works? Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

I thought you couldn't do this due to airbags?
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Damn this thread! I thought someone released them. You can have them, some people are just worried about gauges in the face after an accident.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

The has been brought up a few times with different opinions. It you take the a-pillar off (which I have) the bag is at the very top and there is a plastic safety strap. So if the air bag goes off it will not throw the a-pillar or pods on it in your face.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Assuming the pods are very securely attached and the pillar doesn't smash the gauge into the dash/windshield ripping it off and sending it flying at you.

I don't know, do it and just don't get in an accident
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

If the curtain airbag is designed anything like my old S4...it really won't be an issue. The way that the airbag deploys is staight down with the A pillar cover swinging toward the windshield...if it moves at all. I think there is a video on youtube with a demo.

Fact of the matter is...if that A pillar airbag was designed to throw the cover at you in an accident...it wouldn't matter if a gauge was there or not, you'd be screwed anyway.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

well thats what I'm saying. The pillar clearly swings away from you towards the windshield/dash, if the gauges hits the dash or windshield and gets ripped off and bounces right back at you that could hurt.

Anyway, its probably unlikely but it is a consideration.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 03:41 PM
Evolving Member

thats sounds a little risky.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 04:54 PM
Account Disabled

Screw that, I'm not buying one. Keep your gauges on the center dash or other places.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
well thats what I'm saying. The pillar clearly swings away from you towards the windshield/dash, if the gauges hits the dash or windshield and gets ripped off and bounces right back at you that could hurt.

If the bag is at the very top, you could probably work something out where the 1 piece pillar is replaced by two pieces. The top part would break away when the air bags deploy, and the bottom (which houses the gauges) would stay secured. Probably not as clean a look, but worth it not to end up getting smashed in the face with a bunch of gauges in a freak accident.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Gauges to the face wont hurt that bad. Im sure the steering wheel airbag will slam the drivers face b4 the gauges do.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 05:29 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130

A steel pipe could come flying through the windshield and hit you when you get in an accident... more than likely it won't happen, but it is a consideration. or change could come out of the ashtray and hit you in the face in an accident...but more than likely won't happen.

The a pillar swings out towards the windshield. The airbag doesn't explode out like the sterring wheel but instead it goes straight down pushing the apillar aside.
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Ive posted this before and I'll post it again.
NO A PILLAR ISSUES
Old Apr 15, 2008 | 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Talon_66
Ive posted this before and I'll post it again.
NO A PILLAR ISSUES
If there really is a special hinged breakaway pillar with safety retaining straps as others have suggested, I think that would clearly indicate that there are indeed A pillar issues no matter what it looks like in that image.
Old Apr 16, 2008 | 02:40 AM
Evolved Member

OK:
Having used my brain. I opened the owners manual. if you would all follow along and turn to page 2-50 and read the paragraph in the upper left had corner:

WARNING
"Do not attach a microphone or any other object around the part where the curtain airbag deploys, such as on the windshield, side door glass or front and rear pillars and roof side rail. When the curtain airbag inflate, the microphone or other object may be hurled with great force or the curtain airbag may not inflate correctly, resulting in death or serious injury."

note for those without a manual... the "microphone" is shown in the picture as being attached to the A Pillar

/END OF DISCUSSION

Quick Reply: Evo X A Pillar Gauge Pod