Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Garage419.com Compares Evo X & New STi. Video.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was a no brainer that the 2 videos were STI biased but is that true that the Subies bottem end and drivetrain are that well built?? Double the horsepower???
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:20 AM

No one can deny that both cars are great but, come on, the STI engine and tranny bulletproof? And easily capable of twice the stock hp? The fact alone that the engine is a boxer makes it much more vulnerable (almost twice the moving parts as an I4). And i guess what people are saying about the STI's gearbox being sensitive is just an urban legend huh? The only weak link I can think of when doubling the EVO's power is the central diff. Anyway, most biased video I've ever seen. Never mind, the truth is out there...
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

sorry.. I like the sti better :-X If I got to keep my VIII and get either of the 2, I'd grab me an sti.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:33 AM

hmm 15% drive train loss in the evo and 25-30% in the sti.... no wonder why its slower
Old Apr 24, 2008, 01:49 PM

they obviously made that tailored to the STI
Old Apr 24, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

How about the part when those morons are talking about the power!!!! STI can reach 800 hp how over 1000 hp built Evos????
Old Apr 24, 2008, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah that "review" was pretty pointless. i want my 5 min back!!!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:19 PM

You can see the shop owner slightly hesitate when he answers questions on the Evo. The engine and drivetrain are new and he already knows what the limitations are? I don't think even the interviewer bought his answers.
Old May 1, 2008, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by si_to_evo
^holy **** i better wait for toyota XRS turbo

Way to go Subaroo copying Toyota?
HAHAHAHAH
Old May 1, 2008, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Griffy44
It was a no brainer that the 2 videos were STI biased but is that true that the Subies bottem end and drivetrain are that well built?? Double the horsepower???
"We regret to inform you that we must place an immediate stop sale order on all of the 2008/2009 Subaru Impreza, Forester and Legacy vehicles equipped with a 2.5L Turbo Engine produced with the beginning chassis number and later as shown below."

the 08 subaru 2.5 liter turbo charged engines, have a world wide recall. they knocking high, even at idle at a traffic light when you waiting for the green....

just for start...
http://www.autospies.com/news/Subaru...-Models-28435/
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/04/07/s...with-turbod-2/

Last edited by Robevo RS; May 1, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 3, 2008, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed, totally a worthless review and all about how much better that shop owners STi is over the X. I'll take the X FTMFW any day

In my opinion the new WRX and WRX STi are what the new Focus and Focus SVT should have been
Old May 3, 2008, 08:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by evofan_08
they spent five seconds in the evo. and didn't mention the additional options or features it can come with or YAW!
Yeah, they wasted a ton of time on that throttle sensitivity crap on the STI and didn't even mention SAYC. Too bad the Evo would run circles around that STI on track.

Originally Posted by Rootus
As long as "right places" doesn't include the gas pedal, transmission, clutch, or ECU ...
I have STI friends, have tuned a lot of STIs, and owned a WRX, so I can interject here.

-One car out of several hundred of them have had a gas padal issue. You need to check your head for even bringing that up.

-Transmission and clutch, you got us. The STI transmission is much more robust, and 2007 was the first time they got the gearing right.

-ECU, well that's just the stock mapping. In case you missed it, the stock Evo made more power and torque than the STI.

Want to talk about the (much worse) shortcomings of the Subaru now? Weak engines that spin rod bearings at even moderate power, a top mounted intercooler, a tiny stock turbo, extreme pipe travel distance to even get to the turbocharger... I could go on and on.

Originally Posted by juanmedina
It doesn't matter what exhaust you put on the EVO, the Suby will always sound better
I never thought that. I always thought EJs sound like Harleys. Or like an angry pig. I don't like the boxer four sound at all.

Originally Posted by Pete3kGT
Agreed, totally a worthless review and all about how much better that shop owners STi is over the X. I'll take the X FTMFW any day

In my opinion the new WRX and WRX STi are what the new Focus and Focus SVT should have been

On to the video, the guy needs a beatdown for saying "Oh definitely" like infinity times. And the bit on drivetrain loss is redonkulous. I don't agree that the boxer has more driveline losses than the 4B11. Why can't that big boxer 2.5 make as much torque as a 2.0 does stock? Its the factory mapping, that's why, and its sad.

Another thing I can comment on is that I use an identical dyno to that and the numbers are bang on. My Evo stock made _exactly_ the same whp as that Evo did. Its an uncorrected Dyno Dynamics, and that is a great thing.

The tuned STI was bad comedy. Only 274whp through a cutout with a full tune, CAI, and upgraded TMIC? And it still have that trademark Subaru stock turbo with total puke-n-die up top.

My car with only a drop in and cat back made 5whp more than that, and made it from 6800-7500, where its the most useful. All this with the stock cat! We are remapping with a test pipe and DP, and I fully expect to see 290+ without the aid of a cut out or an uprated intercooler. Give me those parts, and the car should close in on 310whp on a Dyno Dynamics, a full 30whp more than that STI.

Their comments on the ECU in the new Evo were off. I bet they haven't even flashed an X yet. They certainly aren't an EcuTeK vendor on here.

"If you want to buy a car with the idea of getting power, which do you buy"
"You would go further in the Subaru than the Mitsubishi".

TOTAL BULLSHAT. I'm already making more power than they are with less mods, a cat in place, and have spent just over half what they did in upgrades.

It looks like another 5 years of Mitsubishi domination over Subarus in power are upon us.
Old May 3, 2008, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Noize
-One car out of several hundred of them have had a gas padal issue. You need to check your head for even bringing that up.
Why is that unfair? One is more than zero, which hasn't stopped you from bringing up the Subaru stop-sale order.

The STI transmission is much more robust, and 2007 was the first time they got the gearing right.
What's wrong with the pre-2007 gearing? It's short, but it may be taller than the gearing on the X.

ECU, well that's just the stock mapping. In case you missed it, the stock Evo made more power and torque than the STI
Not enough more power, apparently, to make up for the extra weight. Neither Subaru nor Mitsubishi provided great stock tunes apparently. At least the Subaru starts every time, though .

Weak engines that spin rod bearings at even moderate power, a top mounted intercooler, a tiny stock turbo, extreme pipe travel distance to even get to the turbocharger... I could go on and on.
I see more rod bearing failures on EvoM than on IWSTI. If you wanted to talk crap about the STI engine, you would have been better off sticking with thin ringlands. Bearing failures are very rare. I'd definitely like to have thicker ringlands, but I don't plan on going over mid-400's whp with this car so I'm not too bothered by it.

I don't like the boxer four sound at all.
A matter of opinion. Certainly some STI owners do put on equal length headers to kill the sound. Can you explain to me what the buzzing sound coming from the 4B11 is? Right through the firewall at 3250-3500 RPM or so? Is that just a characteristic of Evo engines, or specific to this incarnation? It sounds odd and unhealthy, but since they all do it I guess it's normal.

Why can't that big boxer 2.5 make as much torque as a 2.0 does stock? Its the factory mapping, that's why, and its sad.
Sad perhaps, but with a proper stage 2 tune the new EJ257 makes 375 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. Peak horsepower is similar on a stage 2 4B11, but I like all that extra area under the curve with the 2.5L .

It looks like another 5 years of Mitsubishi domination over Subarus in power are upon us.
And another 5 years of superior sales, quality, and reliability by Subaru. Plus, I wouldn't assume that Subaru will wait 5 years before doing their own flavor of AYC . What tiny edge in handling that the Evo has this year is completely dependent on the computer. When Subaru decides to add a computer co-driver to the STI, I wouldn't want to be an Evo fan . Will still be selling cars in the US in 5 years?
Old May 3, 2008, 11:31 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Rootus
Why is that unfair? One is more than zero, which hasn't stopped you from bringing up the Subaru stop-sale order.
I never brought that up. I've seen popped EJ257s since 2004. I hadn't heard about the stop selling until today.

What's wrong with the pre-2007 gearing? It's short, but it may be taller than the gearing on the X.
Wrong. Pre 2007 STI has to shift to fifth into the quarter mile, and is going exactly 101mph on the rev limiter. The Evo X attains 112mph on its rev limiter in fourth.

Not enough more power, apparently, to make up for the extra weight. Neither Subaru nor Mitsubishi provided great stock tunes apparently. At least the Subaru starts every time, though
Again, you're comparing something that happens like one time out of 300. There was is a factory reflash to remedy this problem; you're groping for straws.

I see more rod bearing failures on EvoM than on IWSTI. If you wanted to talk crap about the STI engine, you would have been better off sticking with thin ringlands. Bearing failures are very rare. I'd definitely like to have thicker ringlands, but I don't plan on going over mid-400's whp with this car so I'm not too bothered by it.
You're off your rocker if you believe what you just typed. There are a TON of spun rod bearings on NASIOC. I had a WRX, you can't pull the wool over my eyes. More than 50% of the local WRX/STi/STIs here have had an engine failure. All but one of them were due to spun bearings. The 4B11 is an unknown quantity at this point, but the 4G63 can take substantially more power with stock internals without failure.

A matter of opinion. Certainly some STI owners do put on equal length headers to kill the sound. Can you explain to me what the buzzing sound coming from the 4B11 is? Right through the firewall at 3250-3500 RPM or so? Is that just a characteristic of Evo engines, or specific to this incarnation? It sounds odd and unhealthy, but since they all do it I guess it's normal.
I can't really debate you here, because its subjective like you said. I like the way inline engines sound. I think a 4B11 with stock exhaust sounds like a shop vac. I think the STI sounds better stock. When you open them up, that's when I don't like the way EJs sound.

Sad perhaps, but with a proper stage 2 tune the new EJ257 makes 375 ft-lbs of torque at the wheels. Peak horsepower is similar on a stage 2 4B11, but I like all that extra area under the curve with the 2.5L .
Stage 2? WTF is that? Cobb? A full TBE X tuned will make about 10% more whp than a full TBE tuned 2008 STI, period. That STI torque would be better if it was somewhere usable. With the stock turbo, its good for passing in sixth gear and maybe for autocross.

And another 5 years of superior sales, quality, and reliability by Subaru.
Sales, yes. Quality, questionable. Reliability, heck no. My VIII outlasted any local Subaru, all while making substantially more power, and actually being able to break into the 11s. Subies that can do that are few and far between.

Plus, I wouldn't assume that Subaru will wait 5 years before doing their own flavor of AYC .
News flash, they're already not had it since 2001, when AYC showed up in the Evo VII overseas.

[quote]What tiny edge in handling that the Evo has this year is completely dependent on the computer. [quote]

Tiny edge? Have you seen the comparos? Even with the straight line deficit due to weight, the X has won the track showdowns in every one I've seen with ease. I'd call that more than a tiny edge.

When Subaru decides to add a computer co-driver to the STI, I wouldn't want to be an Evo fan
While you're pretending, you might as well put a twin turbo V12 in there too. As it is now, the STI is the understeering champion of the two.

Will still be selling cars in the US in 5 years?
I don't know, but I bet an seven year old Evo IX will still be able to humiliate an equally modified 2013 STI.
Old May 3, 2008, 11:51 AM
Account Disabled

I love a good debate.

Quick Reply: Garage419.com Compares Evo X & New STi. Video.