Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Evo X on E-85?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo X on E-85?

Can the Evo X run on e-85? I was talking to a friend of mine who has a VR-4 that runs 11.2's and he mentioned e-85. He said that he knows of a few guys that have converted their cars to run on e-85 because it's ~100-105 octane and allows you to run a ton of boost. I did some reading and found that it costs less than regular gas but you get worse mileage so it's a wash, but who cares if the octane is that high? Even if the X is not set up for it, it appears that the only mods needed are a larger fuel pump, larger injectors and a tune for the e-85. I am just thinking that it would be great to go run e-85 for the same cost as regular gas and have a street monster running some serious boost. Let me know what you guys think....
Old Apr 20, 2008, 02:41 PM

I want to know, will it safe for my Evo 8?
Old Apr 20, 2008, 03:05 PM

I've known some guys love who e-85 but Idk if its safe on the x
Old Apr 20, 2008, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It should be fine...just get tuned for it.

The toughest problem most of us face is a source to regularly get E85.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:02 PM
Evolving Member

you would need larger injectors and something to tune with. So no you cant run it on the X until tooners get the flashs down.

Last edited by evilution310; Apr 20, 2008 at 10:03 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2008, 08:26 PM
Evolved Member

We have the most e85 stations here in MN. Alot of Evos here have converted to e85. If you can do your calculation right. You can order the right size bigger injector typically 20% and watch the stft and ltft. If its adding fuel, your injectors are not big enough, if its taking fuel out, your injectors are too big.
I'm planning on converting my X sometime this summer. It would be alot easier with an available tuning software to flash or standalone.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 07:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recall reading one of the shops on this forum (AMS?) doing an E-85 soak test on all the components in the fuel system, then running a test tune with it. Maybe it was on an IX and not an X.... but either way, there was no corrosion in the soak, and the tune produced some nice additional power. But maybe it was a IX, not an X.... cant recall the 'minor details'
Old Apr 21, 2008, 11:32 AM

No you cannot. From what I understand that the fuel systems needs to be changed. The gas take, fuel pump and lines. This can be very corrosive (sp:?) on those parts. There was a show Motorweek Television (Pat Goss garage). He was explaining what could happen to all the parts dealing with the fuel system. Also they sell kits online for the conversion but I guess it's mostly bunk.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:02 PM
Evolved Member

change pump, injectors and retune and you will be fine. Its not corrosive to your motor. You can keep your gas tank. Your main concern, if the others are easy enough for you is the location of e-85 stations in relation to you. Also - if you road trip often you'll be limited to e-85 stations the whole time. Something to consider unless you go flex fuel.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:27 PM
Evolved Member

It was the Evo IX I was talking about... I found the link:

http://www.mwir.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=37882

JDMLUDE35: Do you know this, or are you assuming that since other cars have had corrosion problems, all cars do? Cause thats just wrong. From the link about the IX:

Over the past few months we have been soaking several components of the fuel system to test how they react to E85 and its potentially corrosive effects. Chris just recently pulled these pieces to check for Wear, breakdown, swelling and general decomposition. The results came back good so we decided to toss it in my car for a real world test. I drive my car daily so it was important to us that we have it used day in and day out for testing. I was very pleased with the results.
I know that doesn't apply directly to the X (especially since its a totally different engine), so its still up for question til either someone verifies that the components are the same or someone does a soak test on them. Have you done either of these, or can we just assume thats misinformation? And for the record, if someone really wanted to run E85 on an X and it DID have corrosion issues, swapping out the fuel lines, pump, tank and possibly even injectors and fuel rail for something more durable isn't exactly rocket science.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by blk-majik
It was the Evo IX I was talking about... I found the link:

http://www.mwir.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=37882

JDMLUDE35: Do you know this, or are you assuming that since other cars have had corrosion problems, all cars do? Cause thats just wrong. From the link about the IX:

I know that doesn't apply directly to the X (especially since its a totally different engine), so its still up for question til either someone verifies that the components are the same or someone does a soak test on them. Have you done either of these, or can we just assume thats misinformation? And for the record, if someone really wanted to run E85 on an X and it DID have corrosion issues, swapping out the fuel lines, pump, tank and possibly even injectors and fuel rail for something more durable isn't exactly rocket science.
Yes I know this. You just cannot put in flex fuel just because. I am talking about the evo X. Parts are different and so on.. Here is the link. I know I seen that show and luckly I found this link

http://www.mpt.org/motorweek/goss/2706.shtml
Old Apr 21, 2008, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

I don't see how an article about GM possibly using crap components has anything to do with Mitsubishi's components. Most pump gas we put in our cars today has alcohol mixed in it, so his argument that our current components cant handle any is total bs. That and most of his points are totally insane.

And are you seriously basing your opinion on what Pat Goss says? He's a known industry tool and even says his opinion is based on what GM told him. I suggest you watch this version of that broadcast

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_3rfK3yiY&feature=related
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:41 PM

I don't see how an article about GM possibly using crap components has anything to do with Mitsubishi's components. Most pump gas we put in our cars today has alcohol mixed in it, so his argument that our current components cant handle any is total bs. That and most of his points are totally insane.

And are you seriously basing your opinion on what Pat Goss says? He's a known industry tool and even says his opinion is based on what GM told him. I suggest you watch this version of that broadcast

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z1_3rfK3yiY&feature=related
Let me see GM is crap. You are trying to say Mitsubishi uses high quality parts? If I'm not mistaken GM is leading the way with cars that you can buy right now without even guessing if E 85 is going to work on any cars.
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, GM is selling NEW cars that can run on E85. Makes it obvious why them might pay a TV show to pitch a line claiming its impossible to convert existing cars to E85, since that means that buyer wont be buying one of their new cars. kettle? black?
Old Apr 21, 2008, 03:57 PM

Yes, GM is selling NEW cars that can run on E85. Makes it obvious why them might pay a TV show to pitch a line claiming its impossible to convert existing cars to E85, since that means that buyer wont be buying one of their new cars. kettle? black?
No not really. If you want to take that chance go for it. Do you know exactly that E 85 is safe? Im talking about the EVO X. Taking a risk on a new car is not what I am looking for.

Quick Reply: Evo X on E-85?