Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone ever own a prelude then an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
preludes are fun for a first tuner car.. Lots of potential and low cost....

Evo's are just the top of their game...

Both good cars, but at different levels....
Old Apr 25, 2008, 05:38 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Preludes are fun and quick little machines. But like everyone else said youre going to experience some "wow!" factor. haha. If youre planning on keeping the Evo as the DD then I would put the prelude in for down payment. I did no down payment on my Evo and I really wish I had thought about that a little more.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

I had a 91 and a 95 prelude and a 02 rsx-s and then went to an evo 8... ( showing my age now) ..... You can't beat a Honda for a fun car with good gas, low maintenance and reliability..... But they just cannot compare to a evo for fun

Seriously though, I'd keep the prelude for a dd, with 150k miles you won't get much for a trade in.... But preludes do get good money still if you sell on your own... I'd keep it....
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:06 AM

Glad to hear so many people appreciate the prelude, it's been a great car. I would love to keep it as a DD, but if I did, I'd have to wait till sometime in '09 to get the X most likely before I can save up enough for a decent down payment. I've been obsessing over the EVO X for about 6 months now and waiting sure does suck. I've going to think about it for a while, at least until I get rid of the block in my garage.

And my wife hates the idea of me having two cars. She thinks 2 cars = 2 x the maintenance. She's all for me jumping in, selling the prelude and getting an EVO though. She hates it when I take away home remodeling time away for working on the lude.

I've got another question regarding affordability of the EVO but it's really starting to get off topic form the 'prelude vs Evo x' topic.... so, I think I'll make another thread with that topic.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No comparison when it comes to 5th gen Prelude vs. EVO X. I owned a '99 Prelude Type SH...I loved the car when I had it. I don't know of many people who've ever seen that car dirty. It was always clean.

Since then I've owned a '00 ITR, '01 Impreza RS, '01 S2000, '04 S2000 and finally this car. The ITR was faster than the Prelude in every aspect. The EVO on the other hand cannot be compared.

I guarantee you that I can corner as fast in the EVO as I do on my sportbike. It feels that planted. One thing I do not miss about FWD is torque steer and under-steer. ITR was the closest thing to a neutrally balanced FWD that came very close to a RWD.

The EVO WILL NOT understeer...I love it.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:44 PM

I traded my 01 blue prelude with 36000 miles in for a blue x. I miss the honda to an extent bit I don't regret buying the evo.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 06:54 PM
Evolving Member

I don't know what your financial situation is, but i'd suggest keeping the Prelude as a beater.

I'm actually looking for a low mileage good shape Prelude 5spd. I do have one question, how's the prelude on gas mileage???
Old Apr 25, 2008, 07:08 PM

Funny this many people have actually had preludes before. I'm in a similar situation as Monkeykungphu, except I have to get out of my lease of a diff car before buying....

However my 92 h22 turbo prelude is the one that needs to go for extra cash for down payment. Very sad to see it go, quick as hell but i'm hoping the performance will be matched in the evo X, in straight acceleration anyway.

Lemme know pete3kgt if ur interested in a modified prelude in great shape
Old May 22, 2008, 10:22 AM

There is no comparison, really...

Edit: Except for gas mileage. The Prelude's gas mileage was way better than the Evo, at least for me.

Last edited by Sfkn2; May 22, 2008 at 10:25 AM.
Old May 22, 2008, 10:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I had Ludes for years growing up. All were manuals.
First Prelude I had was a silver 94 Si. This was back in like 97 or so. I liked it a lot, but I traded it in on a super clean 93 Prelude VTEC with lower miles. Sadly, I totaled that car. Not too long after, I bought a 5th gen 2000 model brand new. I modded that car with I/H/E/VAFC and got it down to mid 14s in the quarter. It handled alright for a FWD, but was plagued with a poor transmission design (bent shift forks making 5th grind terribly and even lock out of reverse), was open diff, and too heavy.

I always regretted not getting an ITR instead. The ITR had better gearing, better rod based transmission, way nicer engine that responded great to mods, was almost 500 pounds lighter, and had a helical LSD stock. If I was intelligent enough to have gotten an ITR instead, I would still have it as a second car in my garage.

That said, an Evo is a gigantic upgrade from a Prelude in every conveivable way. You will love the Evo.
Old May 22, 2008, 11:15 AM

Cool. I can't wait till I get one.

Pete3kGT, my gas mileage runs about 25/30.... w/ 150k miles and the way I drive, that's not bad.

Last edited by Monkeykungphu; May 22, 2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old May 22, 2008, 01:26 PM

Yep I got 2000 Prelude and I have probably went way over board with it. 75k in mods. I did replace everything and anything on that car. The handling on her is amazing! Feels like a go kart. I can't say it out handles an evo as I never owned one yet(Waiting for the 09 Ralliart or MR). I am familar with Mitusu cars as my brother have a 3000 GT VR 4. Now for dailing driver its ok. Once you mod the hell out of a Honda everything is out the window. But to my opnion PRELUDE is a slow pig comared to other cars(since I owned many muscle cars). So to you if you think that prelude is fast then I would imagine you would be in for treat with the Evo. You also have to know that the 5th Prelude is the bastard of all preludes due to it being the heaviest out of all other GEN ludes. 2964 is the curb weight. Wow thats ligther than an Evo..LOL. In the Honda world a 5th Gen is a Tank.
Old May 22, 2008, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by lowkey
I have a 98 Prelude with 70 K miles. I bought it new and only needed to change the tires so far, not even the battery or the brake pads. On my previous Evo 8, at 40 K miles, it was on it’s third set of tires, second set of brake pads (Brembo pads are > $500 for 4) and I had done the normal engine serpentine belt replacement. I don’t think the interior of my new Evo X is up to the same standard as the Honda (Tap on the dash of both, the Honda is more solid and does not have the same hard, cheap plastic). Yes, definitely different cars. The Honda is cheaper to maintain and cheaper to insure.
Holy crap 70k miles on 1 set of pads, either you drive mostly highway miles w/o traffic
or those pads were made from a titanium compound. Yeah stock advans suck if you want durability, I got a set of kuhmos and have over 30k on them so far. Factory pads are always overpriced, you can get a decent set for under 200 or auto parts store brand pads for under 100. The timing belt on both cars should be changed at 60k, mind as well do water pump while you're at it too. Yup, I pay about 500 a year more on my evo than I did on my acura, but I am older and have clean record. Like the saying goes, "You gotta pay to play", but you don't have to pay too much more if you search around for deals.

My brother owns a lude, definitely fun driving car. He has exhaust, intake, headers, and built n/a motor. Has good pickup, and when vtec kicks in, you can feel a good shove from the motor and hear a mean growl. But once you feel how hard a turbo kicks with exhaust and tune, you will think vtec was like a shove from your little 5 year old sister. The handling is on a different planet also, way too much understeer in the lude if you are pushing it, evo will just claw into the turn and oversteer if you give it enough gas. People say turbo lag sucks, but vtec lag is worse , 3k vs 5k rpm, actually you can feel the boost start to kick in at 2500 rpm already.

If you are looking to save some dough, I would look into a low mileage evo 8 or 9 rs. I've seen some going for roughly 20k, if you look hard enough.

Last edited by demonblackevo69; May 22, 2008 at 03:30 PM.
Old May 23, 2008, 07:03 AM

I have had a couple of Preludes and they are fine cars- Hondas are all pretty good cars. But the grin factor from the Evo wipes them all off the slate.
Old May 24, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

i will be going from integra gsr to evo x gsr, should be an improvement

Quick Reply: Anyone ever own a prelude then an Evo?