Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone ever own a prelude then an Evo?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone ever own a prelude then an Evo?

My 2000 prelude's got about 150k mi. on it. I love that car but I think I'm ready for a new one, I've had this one for 7 years. It handles great IMO as opposed to everything else I've owned before & has decent pick up as well. I'm just looking for something that is a little more mod friendly, lot faster, and I'll take all the addtional handling I can get. I'm also 31 & have a wife & house, no kids, but friends who don't really like to climb in the back of a prelude. And, I don't live too far from work....

I have yet to drive an EVO but I've always heard of the EVO 'legend'. Seems like this is the car for me. I love the idea of the S-AWD and that the yaw control. I've read some not so good stuff about the interior but I checked one out at the dealership & I really like it. I feel it's a step up from a 2000 prelude as well. Really like the seats as well. So, I'm going to most likely plan to get one hopefully this summer sometime.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how much more dramatic the acceleration & handling will be than a 5th gen. prelude. I know it will be some, but will I be like dayummm... that's just freakin nasty compared to the prelude!

Cuz If I'm gonna blow $33k that's the way I want to feel.

Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL ok 2000 prelude VS a 2008 295hp Evo X with awd, Lets just say the Evo would drive circles around any year prelude. Trust me it is a huge up grade and you wont feel sorry. You can even do bolt on (IC piping's, TBE, Intake, Boost controller, and tune) and run low 12s. Will cost aound $3,000's or less. Welcome to the EVO world.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a 98 prelude and a 03 G35.I got rid of both for the EVO and haven't looked back.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 07:53 PM
Evolving Member

a prelude cannot go off road thats what the best part of the evo is.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:00 PM
Evolving Member

I've owned 2 preludes and to be honest I really miss daily driving a Honda. Of course when I want to go fast the evo will drive circles around the honda, but you really cant beat the transmission in a Honda. They are great cars, fun to drive, and there is a good chance I may pick one up as a dd.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

yup. owned a 5th gen SH pearl white prelude. Cant beat the reliability and the daily driver but the EVO is a whole new beast. when i first got into mine, its like OMFG!? definitely never looked back after i got the evo ix but I wouldnt mind having a prelude as a dd. enjoy!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:03 PM

I own a prelude, 2000, with 130k miles on it, love, love the ride... and going buy an EVO this weekend. Let me tell you, EVO aint gonna be that friendly during rush hour traffic riding that foot heavy clutch. And I bet you, you prelude cost/cause a lot less problems than the EVO. Hondas are made to last for over 200k miles easily, with the right maintenance of course. By year 5, most Evo owners will face leaky oil from their turbos, timing belt much be changed... etc... Hehe, in the end, you just got to have the cash to play. "You must pay to play!" hahaha
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

the evo x has a timing chain. the prelude and the evo 8/9 have timing belts that need to be changed at the same interval.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 08:37 PM

Thanks for the replies. I would love to keep my lude as a DD but I really need her as a down payment. I suppose I could be patient & wait like a year & save up for a downpayment, but that's a little too responsible for my taste.

I had dreams of turboing the prelude. I even have a freshly built H22a4 that's sitting in my garage. I also need to sell it first also before I get the evo. I still owe like $3k on it. I know it would cost me at least another ~$15 k to get the prelude where I want it. And... that's with me doing most of the work myself.... MUCH more if I paid someone. Just recently I found out that I may have a rear main seal leak. Still pulls strong & handles really well. I just cleaned the EGR ports & they were dirty as hell, acceleration pickied up after I cleaned all the carbon out...

Anyhow, on top of the money to get the car to a 350 whp ride with traction that could handle the power and with 'like new' maintenance on everything it would take quite a bit of money and A LOT of time. I don't really have the time to mess with something like that now b/c my wife & I are remodeling our first house plus I work an assload of hours. Plus with 150k mi. the car's starting to show it's age.

Right now I'm going through my budget trying to figure out how many ham samwiches I'm going to start have eating for lunch to budget the note....

If I get this, this will be my first new car. I think it's a good way to start out. Make me all warm n fuzzy...

X =

Last edited by Monkeykungphu; Apr 24, 2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:02 PM
Evolved Member

Id keep the Prelude and DD it and get the EVO as a weekend/toy car.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mightygnu
Id keep the Prelude and DD it and get the EVO as a weekend/toy car.

yeah i would to... unless you are going to keep the evo stock then itll be reliable =] but who does that? hahah
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:25 PM
SME
Evolved Member

I had a 5th gen, loved that thing to death and wish I still had it as a DD...

BUT the lude does not compare to the evo at ALL, you will be crapping ur pants when u fell how different they are.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Monkeykungphu
My 2000 prelude's got about 150k mi. on it. I love that car but I think I'm ready for a new one, I've had this one for 7 years. It handles great IMO as opposed to everything else I've owned before & has decent pick up as well. I'm just looking for something that is a little more mod friendly, lot faster, and I'll take all the addtional handling I can get. I'm also 31 & have a wife & house, no kids, but friends who don't really like to climb in the back of a prelude. And, I don't live too far from work....

I have yet to drive an EVO but I've always heard of the EVO 'legend'. Seems like this is the car for me. I love the idea of the S-AWD and that the yaw control. I've read some not so good stuff about the interior but I checked one out at the dealership & I really like it. I feel it's a step up from a 2000 prelude as well. Really like the seats as well. So, I'm going to most likely plan to get one hopefully this summer sometime.

Was wondering if anyone can tell me how much more dramatic the acceleration & handling will be than a 5th gen. prelude. I know it will be some, but will I be like dayummm... that's just freakin nasty compared to the prelude!

Cuz If I'm gonna blow $33k that's the way I want to feel.

Thanks
I'm an Integra/RSX person. My buddy traded his 06 RSX Type-S for a fully loaded EVO(40k) and when he corners in that car it scares the **** out of me every time. I've never felt that scared in a car before. He was doing 80-90mph on a tight turn with no tire squile(sp?) and the car felt like it could still go. He was overtaking a modded tein setup RSX and was overtaking him on the outside!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:13 PM

I have a 98 Prelude with 70 K miles. I bought it new and only needed to change the tires so far, not even the battery or the brake pads. On my previous Evo 8, at 40 K miles, it was on it’s third set of tires, second set of brake pads (Brembo pads are > $500 for 4) and I had done the normal engine serpentine belt replacement. I don’t think the interior of my new Evo X is up to the same standard as the Honda (Tap on the dash of both, the Honda is more solid and does not have the same hard, cheap plastic). Yes, definitely different cars. The Honda is cheaper to maintain and cheaper to insure.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lowkey
I have a 98 Prelude with 70 K miles. I bought it new and only needed to change the tires so far, not even the battery or the brake pads. On my previous Evo 8, at 40 K miles, it was on it’s third set of tires, second set of brake pads (Brembo pads are > $500 for 4) and I had done the normal engine serpentine belt replacement. I don’t think the interior of my new Evo X is up to the same standard as the Honda (Tap on the dash of both, the Honda is more solid and does not have the same hard, cheap plastic). Yes, definitely different cars. The Honda is cheaper to maintain and cheaper to insure.
Dude get a corolla

j/p

Quick Reply: Anyone ever own a prelude then an Evo?