Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What % of your income is your car note?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2008, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My % is fairly low. Between cash and trade in I put 20,000 down. Insurance is cheaper then my previous vehicle. So the car didn't make much of an impact.

You could always put the $600 you would be paying for the car in a savings account for a while to see how it effects your monthly living. If it works out you have some extra cash to put down and a cheaper payment to go with it.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

well lets see, you said the 600USD = 17.6% of your monthly income than then you do the math
Originally Posted by Monkeykungphu
Check your math, I don't make anywhere near that.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
5-6 %, I don't feel it

Last edited by DRAGHICI; Apr 25, 2008 at 09:09 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by stryderlis
The dude makes like 41k. (600 / .176) * 12 = 40909. You should be fine if you're single and do not have a lot of scrubs around you asking for money when you go out. That's assuming that's how much you bring home because I bring home about that much after Uncle same + ins + 401k takes 20% of my salary each year.
Here's a man who paid attention in school! (that is take home BTW) I'm not single, but my wife makes 70% of what I do and she has NO debt or car payment, ... so it helps w/ home bills, etc. And we don't have any kids... The money I still owe for college still kinda makes me somewhat hesitant though...

Thanks for the replies everyone... I know this is personal info, etc. But, it's not like you guys know me and it's not like I go blabbing all this info. to the people I work with or even my friends.

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet!

Last edited by Monkeykungphu; Apr 25, 2008 at 09:18 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ch3no2
You could always put the $600 you would be paying for the car in a savings account for a while to see how it effects your monthly living. If it works out you have some extra cash to put down and a cheaper payment to go with it.
Good point, I believe I will give that a shot.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:21 AM

I just got a job for after college (starting June) making 48k. I plan on getting the MR with nav, and aero, so final after taxes I'm betting on $46000, I'll be trading in my POS for probably about 2000. With that I'm looking at a $850 5 year car payment. Other than my car I will have about $500 in college loans a month, the unfortunate credit card lets say $200, rent $400, insurance $400. That leaves me about $1000 a month to save/ pay **** off early. This plan puts my car at nearly 25% of my yearly earning. I think thats worth it, I'll have to wait and see...
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by pltek
well lets see, you said the 600USD = 17.6% of your monthly income than then you do the math
Dude! I SERIOUSLY hope you don't work at a bank.... or any job requiring simple math. Are you the guy at McDonalds that if you entered the wrong amount you can't calculate my change in your head cause I gave you a $10 and you typed in I gave you a $5?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Monkeykungphu
Here's a man who paid attention in school! (that is take home BTW) I'm not single, but my wife makes 70% of what I do and she has NO debt or car payment, ... so it helps w/ home bills, etc. And we don't have any kids... The money I still owe for college still kinda makes me somewhat hesitant though...

Thanks for the replies everyone... I know this is personal info, etc. But, it's not like you guys know me and it's not like I go blabbing all this info. to the people I work with or even my friends.

Gotta love the anonymity of the internet!

Yep at least no one knows who you are, that's until you go to a car meet. You gave out all the numbers I just figured out the total, doesn't take a genius but sorry if you wanted to keep it personal.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

keep your prelude... i used to have a '00 type sh and as much as i love my evo that was a fun little car for what it was. having a fun beater + weekend beast is great if you can afford it!
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My note is 3.6% of my monthly income.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

My notes is a touch over 35% also. After insurance and gas its around 50%. I'm debating how long Ill really hold onto it considering I have some career choices and what not to make in the next 2 years.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
Evolving Member

gross with my wife and my income is 5.65% ... but we have a Honda pilot and mortgage and 2 kids blah blah blah.... haha.... when i was single i rented for 350 and my car payment (not for the evo) was 360 insurance was 100. that was like 40% at the time.

I like the putting the monthly payment away for 6 months and see if you can handle it. if so then you also help yourself with a downpayment.

oh and trade the lude and buy a set of winter tires if needed.

my evo is my DD....

STevo
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

The best percent is 0. Save up and pay cash.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by fmly evo
oh and trade the lude and buy a set of winter tires if needed.
my evo is my DD....
STevo
Well, we don't really need winter tires in Texas. Not a bad idea though if you have snow heavy winters where you live.

Yep at least no one knows who you are, that's until you go to a car meet. You gave out all the numbers I just figured out the total, doesn't take a genius but sorry if you wanted to keep it personal.
I guess I'll cross the 'car meet scenario' bridge when I come to it... 6+ months from now when I finally get my Evo... if they remember this thread.... and if that particular person is 'out to get me' and my personal finances.... you're right, it could happen.

Maybe when I get to the meet I'll just say my user name is Monkeytaikwando to throw off the wrongdoer with the exceptionally good memory! Problem solved.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by pltek
WHAT??? Think again....

him

Quick Reply: What % of your income is your car note?