Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Launching your X with a stock clutch

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Resist the syst
Actually no rpms honestly, I get it to take off smoothly with just a touch of gas and a slow release of clutch, the clutch really starts to grab half way through it's release, shut your eyes and listen, let your foot feel the clutch grab and just tap the gas pedal. It's an extremely picky transmission, everyone I let test drive the car almost stalled it or stalled it completely. My Dad who's had years upon years of experience even stalled the car lol.
Summed it up beautifully. Don't give it hardly any gas, just release the clutch untill it starts to grab, then lightly tap the gas pedal. I get very smooth starts/stops using this method for daily driving and never any burnt clutch. The more you do it the better you will get a feel. It used to bog down frequently, but after the patch it doesn't bog down at all.

1) Start to release clutch untill you feel it begin to engage
2)Lightly tap the gas, hardly any, and then continue to gradually release the clutch.
3) enjoy your new-found smooth driving.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UFO
Clutches may be cheap, but putting them in certainly isn't.
Thats the problem The labor costs suck a$$ on clutch replacement. On these cars it is something around 14 hours . Assuming labor is 80 bucks an hour that would be 1120 bucks . With the clutch the total will come out to nearly 1800 bucks. That blows.
Old May 1, 2008, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Griffy44
I test drove an X yesterday and notcied i was burning the hell out of the clutch. In my mustang all i need is about 3000 rpms and I get a nice hole shot with out to much wheel spin but in the X yesterday i was just pathetic. Bogged bad getting on to the garden state parkway and nearly stalled at a couple of traffic lights. How much rmps do you need so be smooth while driving??
I'm driving it fine going off 1k-15k rpm actually, it just is picky and NEW drivers will really suck at it. "Resist the syst" said it perfectly.