Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Air Filter Mod - Negative or Positive?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2008, 05:36 PM
bmx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What do you all think of the Apexi Filter then? It is concave at the top but has no opening unlike other filters. Not sure whether this is considered a velocity stack filter?

Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bmx
What do you all think of the Apexi Filter then? It is concave at the top but has no opening unlike other filters. Not sure whether this is considered a velocity stack filter?

I was looking at this one as well....does the universal filter fit our cars? I think that design is to distribute the air flow more efficiently so air doesn't go into certain areas of the filter, but i'm no expert.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 07:52 PM
Evolved Member

I swtiched from the lame spectre intake to the flat top K&N filter after the reflash. I noticed my car not like the intake as much after the flash and figured it was the cheapo spectre. The K&N is much better, but I have to say it still feels like it lags lower than the stock stuff and loses some power. I don't know anymore, someone has to do some serious research here. I ordered the Buschur filter kit with mounting hardware(no MAF pipe) but I think their dynos are on a EVO X without the flash. I don't want to go to stock because I love the sound the after market cone filters produce. Help
Old Apr 30, 2008, 09:46 PM

I've got the ultimate racing intake:
http://www.ultimate-racing.com/Produ...amIntake.shtml
And the factory reflash. I tried the filter on the stock MAF housing and noticed some increased power and much more turbo noise. I put on the new MAF housing and I think it felt even stronger and sounded even louder. Also, it fits better so the filter doesn't rattle around.
Old Apr 30, 2008, 10:04 PM

even after resetting ecu the spectre airfilter felt weak...put on stock box and evo felt 100% better.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by wa2evo
even after resetting ecu the spectre airfilter felt weak...put on stock box and evo felt 100% better.
Try the K&N filter.
Old May 2, 2008, 08:35 AM
bmx

Originally Posted by ikuto
I was looking at this one as well....does the universal filter fit our cars? I think that design is to distribute the air flow more efficiently so air doesn't go into certain areas of the filter, but i'm no expert.

I bought the univeral filter with a 3 inch metal adaptor and an additional 3inch coupler. It should fit without much fuss.

Did read up on the Apexi filter and the design is supposed to reduce any turbulent air flow. Any comments anyone?
Old May 2, 2008, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Im using WORKS drop in filter. WORKS like a charm

nebo
Old May 2, 2008, 01:59 PM
Evolving Member

I installed a K&N flat top one that I had in my garage and I thought it felt ok. Then one time I had to pass a guy in a 528i to get on the freeway and I barely passed him. He thought I wanted to race and he got on it but geez, I crawled past him. I put back the stock intake and it felt a ton better.

I don't want to deal with intake issues so I ordered a Ralliart drop-in filter.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GSXR
I installed a K&N flat top one that I had in my garage and I thought it felt ok. Then one time I had to pass a guy in a 528i to get on the freeway and I barely passed him. He thought I wanted to race and he got on it but geez, I crawled past him. I put back the stock intake and it felt a ton better.

I don't want to deal with intake issues so I ordered a Ralliart drop-in filter.
Sometimes the car can get a weird bad pull in a gear on some runs. It is a very inconsistent car. We need a tune or something. I am running on a K&N flat top intake now, how much better does the car on the stock intake feel you would say? I think I would miss the sound.
Old May 2, 2008, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
Sometimes the car can get a weird bad pull in a gear on some runs. It is a very inconsistent car. We need a tune or something. I am running on a K&N flat top intake now, how much better does the car on the stock intake feel you would say? I think I would miss the sound.
I already miss the sound but I don't miss the power loss. It's pretty obvious - at least for me it was. Anything under 4k RPM was much stronger with the stock intake. I tried a few things too. I added a longer pipe w/ an elbow which I cut from an old intake. That made no difference. I tied it down to prevent the MAF from vibrating which didn't seem to make much difference. Maybe all we need is a tune to get the intake to work.
Old May 2, 2008, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GSXR
I already miss the sound but I don't miss the power loss. It's pretty obvious - at least for me it was. Anything under 4k RPM was much stronger with the stock intake. I tried a few things too. I added a longer pipe w/ an elbow which I cut from an old intake. That made no difference. I tied it down to prevent the MAF from vibrating which didn't seem to make much difference. Maybe all we need is a tune to get the intake to work.
I tied mine down but I think it still moves a little bit. BR's intake shows gains everywhere in the RPM range so this wouldn't make sense unless the re flash did something that the intakes don't like. I think I am going to go back to stock and than when my BR intake with the bracket I so need comes in try that and see if it helps. I remember a bit more torque low end with the stock one as well but the power seems better on the after market from what I remember. I have not had the stock intake on since before the re-flash so I don't know what the hell. We need more dyno pulls on this stuff damn it.
Old May 4, 2008, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

I put the stock intake on and while the throttle feels a bit more responsive at low end and the runs seems more consistent...the power feels about the same.