Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Turbo Cool Down for Evo X

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2008, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Turbo Cool Down for Evo X

are there any guidelines for turbo cool down with the evo x? the manual is very nonspecific and there is no turbo gauge to tell how hard you are boosting. i am still breaking my engine in so boost has been minimal but i have no idea how much i boost in normal driving.

any thoughts are appreciated.
Old May 1, 2008, 05:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I typically let it cool down for 20-30 seconds after regular driving (<4k). Often if I'm about to arrive somewhere I make sure I go real easy on it and dont go thru hardly any RPMs. That way I dont have to let it cool longer. If you're doing some quick spirited driving I usually leave the car on for a few minutes or so once I'm parked. So far so good.
Old May 1, 2008, 06:56 AM

When i had my 05 Srt-4 after normal driving on the street or highway I would let it cool down for 3 min. But if i drove the car hard(turbo housing glowing orange) I gave it a 10 min cool down with the hood up. Call me crazy but i never had a problem.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
Originally Posted by Griffy44
When i had my 05 Srt-4 after normal driving on the street or highway I would let it cool down for 3 min. But if i drove the car hard(turbo housing glowing orange) I gave it a 10 min cool down with the hood up. Call me crazy but i never had a problem.
Way overkill IMO.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:15 AM
Evolved Member

Unless you have been flogging the hell out of it there is no reason for a cool down. The car actually has a built in cool down period if the coolant is too hot.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

^ its not the coolant you are worring about its boiling the oil that is left in the turbo if you turn the car off and the pump stops. you want to keep circulating it through to cool it off. i normally let it sit for 30 sec after normal driving and if i do canyon runs then a few minutes.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Rguy
Unless you have been flogging the hell out of it there is no reason for a cool down. The car actually has a built in cool down period if the coolant is too hot.
what do you mean. you turn the car off it is off.

anybody using a turbo timer?
Old May 1, 2008, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by Noize
Way overkill IMO.
True I was a lil paranoid but I read an article a few years ago on proper turbo cool down times and depending on the oil used and oil change intervals, hot oil could coat the ball bearing in the turbo over time shortening the lifesapnd of your turbocharger. A turbo timer takes care of these kind of worries though
Old May 1, 2008, 07:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracr
^ its not the coolant you are worring about its boiling the oil that is left in the turbo if you turn the car off and the pump stops. you want to keep circulating it through to cool it off. i normally let it sit for 30 sec after normal driving and if i do canyon runs then a few minutes.
thank you. i didn't realize that he was only worrying about the coolant. baking oil in the lines is my concern. srt had very specific guidelines for turbo cool down. i am surprised evo doesn't.

porsche is the same way. they dont mention a cool down really either.
Old May 1, 2008, 07:36 AM

Quoted from Wikipedia:

A turbo timer is a device designed to keep an automotive engine running for a pre-specified period of time in order to automatically execute the cool-down period required to prevent premature turbo wear and failure. After a period of driving when a turbocharger has been working hard, it is important to let the engine run at idle speed for a period of time, allowing the compressor assembly to cool from the lower gas temperatures in both the exhaust and intake tracts. At the same time the lubricating oil from the engine is able to circulate properly so the turbine won't burn the lubricating oil that would otherwise be trapped within the charger with the turbine rotating at high speed. With regard to modern automotive turbochargers, the need for a turbo timer can be eliminated by simply ensuring the car does not produce any 'boost' (during driving) for several minutes prior to the ignition being shut off

I have a lead foot and I love the sound a turbo makes and you leave your opponet in the dust. So when i buy my X I probably will be but a Turbo Timer
Old May 1, 2008, 09:33 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Man, it's just like 2003 all over again.... No cool down is necessary if you drive properly: just keep your foot out of it for the last part of your journey (if you live in a subdivision this shouldn't be a problem).
Old May 1, 2008, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dek0026
what do you mean. you turn the car off it is off.

anybody using a turbo timer?
No, the car has a built in feature that will activate based on certain conditions. If those conditions are met then some fans will run and whatnot to cool it down for 3 minutes after the car is truned off. No turbo timer is needed and no cool down period is needed for regular usage.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
No, the car has a built in feature that will activate based on certain conditions. If those conditions are met then some fans will run and whatnot to cool it down for 3 minutes after the car is truned off. No turbo timer is needed and no cool down period is needed for regular usage.
TRUTH!!!! hell, sometimes I am late to school and work as it is I am not waiting 3 minutes with it running haha. I had the feature kick in and stay on after I shut the car off before. Just don't rev it and then shut it off, that is pointless. I just let it idle for like 10 seconds and than turn it off. Unless I am tracking or was racing the engine really hard.
Old May 1, 2008, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spdracr
I thought the evo X turbo is water cooled so boiling oil was not an issue. If your really paranoid about overheating and proper cool down, just get a turbo timer.
Old May 1, 2008, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
go watch the maintenance videos on youtube. somewhere in there he explains that no turbo timer is needed and that the car will automatically run if necessary.

Quick Reply: Turbo Cool Down for Evo X