Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

First Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
change it at 500 miles if you care about your motor. Like alot have said already you gotta' get all the break in crap the hell out of there. And I'm not sure why some people are so hung up on Mobil 1. There is better stuff out there like Amsoil 5-30, Penzoil Platinum and Euro Castrol. Mobil 1 is a 'good' syn' but all 3 of these other syn's are proven to be superior synthetics

Last edited by MooseX; May 2, 2008 at 08:13 PM.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:50 AM

My 07 vette uses mobile 1and has oil life monitor. I had first oil change at 13k miles with 10% oil life remaining. Myevo x mr will get it at 5k besides that's why we have a warranty
Old Dec 26, 2008, 09:59 AM
Cyp
Evolving Member

I changed mine at 1k miles
Old Dec 26, 2008, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BlackTrack
I changed mine at 500 originally. Then again at 1,500 and then at 2,500. All with AMSoil 5W-30. My car is solely a track car, so I change it very frequently. Normally, I would change it at 1,000, then 3,000 and then every 3k after that.
The latter is what I always do.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by kimletrim
FOr the first change, I did mine at 300 miles. Although I trust the oils, I want to make sure that there is just oil in there doing the work and not little metal particles making it harder for the oil to do the work. But after the initial oil change, I will probably do it every 3000 miles, and probably even sooner if my driving habits warrant a sooner oil change interval.
+1.

For a turbocharged car, I'd go with 3000 mile intervals. Turbocharged engines tend to breakdown oil and burn oil faster than naturally aspirated engines IMO.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by MooseX
change it at 500 miles if you care about your motor. Like alot have said already you gotta' get all the break in crap the hell out of there. And I'm not sure why some people are so hung up on Mobil 1. There is better stuff out there like Amsoil 5-30, Penzoil Platinum and Euro Castrol. Mobil 1 is a 'good' syn' but all 3 of these other syn's are proven to be superior synthetics
+1.

However, Mobil 1 is easy to find in bulk at Costco or Sam's Club. The Mobil 1 5w-30 is a decent quasi-synthetic oil. However, the M1 0w-40 is really good and that's what I would use on my 08 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT if I hadn't already gotten Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30. The people on the LegacyGT forums have done oil analysis on the M1 5w-30 and some say it's a really thin 30 and that you'd be better of with a M1 0w-40.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 01:04 AM
ZK
Evolved Member

Get Mobil 1 Extended Performance ... it has more protection over regular Mobil 1 and is fully synthetic like the old Mobil 1 formula and equivalent to Amsoil. At Walmart it is only $29 for 5 quarts.

They advertise extended drain intervals but I'd change it regularly with M1 EP.

http://synthetic-motor-oil-air-filte...erformance.htm
Old Dec 27, 2008, 07:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
? I hat to change my oil at 600miles as my car came with mineral oil to help the breakin ..... But I do service my car through Ralliart and it is a 2009.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MDH-005
? I hat to change my oil at 600miles as my car came with mineral oil to help the breakin ..... But I do service my car through Ralliart and it is a 2009.
Yours comes with mineral oil over there? Ours comes with synthetic from the factory.

I would. Your first oil change is free. I wouldn't let them do the free wash though...don't want any more swirls, etc. in the paint. I need to fully detail my car now.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:06 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by aftershock141
Yours comes with mineral oil over there? Ours comes with synthetic from the factory.

I would. Your first oil change is free. I wouldn't let them do the free wash though...don't want any more swirls, etc. in the paint. I need to fully detail my car now.
when i bought mine, the guy ran it thru their car auto car wash, needless to say i have 4 scratches on my door
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by empirepb210
when i bought mine, the guy ran it thru their car auto car wash, needless to say i have 4 scratches on my door
That sucks man. I'm lucky I didn't have to go through that pain. There's lots of swirls and tiny scratches from them washing/detailing the car while it was on the lot. I'm sure they buffed it at one time too and did a horrible job. Hopefully I can get everything out of it. The paint is soft, so I'm assuming it won't be too hard.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Dang that sucks that they buffed it, and yea the paint is like jelly so i've been trying to get a clear bra for it.
Old Dec 27, 2008, 10:29 AM
Evolving Member

i plan on changing my oil at the 600 mile mark, and then again at 2500, and 5000, but i work in the automotive industry and i dont pay for the oil. on my old turbo cobra i changed the oil after i went to the track could of been 2 times a week, pulled the motor apart after a year to swap to an alum block and everything was spotless.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

5k should be fine ...that's what i did...unless u race your car at the track or something...besides the oil filter is supposed to catch most of the metal fragments that everyone is talking about...synthetic oil lasts alot longer than regular oil...i think everyone still tends to have that "change your oil every 3k miles" stuck in their heads.....there's no need to change it that often...most cars like hondas or whatever say change it every 10k....unless it's under severe use....so 5k for the evo if fine unless u race all the time or something
Old Dec 28, 2008, 04:37 PM
NMX

Originally Posted by kilgoja
5k should be fine ...that's what i did...unless u race your car at the track or something...besides the oil filter is supposed to catch most of the metal fragments that everyone is talking about...synthetic oil lasts alot longer than regular oil...i think everyone still tends to have that "change your oil every 3k miles" stuck in their heads.....there's no need to change it that often...most cars like hondas or whatever say change it every 10k....unless it's under severe use....so 5k for the evo if fine unless u race all the time or something
Mitsu announced a change in the EVO X service interval, requiring oil changes every 3k or 3 months, regardless of whether you fall under the normal or severe driving conditions. So I would stick to every 3k personally for those with an evo X.

Quick Reply: First Oil Change