Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

question to dealers, peeps in the know on MR

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2008 | 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Cute_Asian_Girl
How do you guys negotiate on price? I want to buy my Evo X next spring and I'm just trying to figure out how not to over pay.
Dealers want you to pay more than the sticker price for the car. You want to pay less than sticker price. They use tricks to get you to pay more than sticker which usually include negotiating a monthly payment you would be happy with, and then they bump up the number of years in the loan to make them more money.

1. Negotiate the final sales price only.

2. Find out what the invoice price of the car is and start from there. They can only say no.

3. Before you go to the dealer, figure out the maximum you are willing to pay and don't differ from it under pressure.

4. If you are not happy with the price, walk out. Chances are they will call back days later and offer you a better deal if they really want to sell.

5. Double check the figures before signing anything - dealers like to slip in extended warranties. For most people, these are worthless.
Old May 9, 2008 | 04:30 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by ksattic
5. Double check the figures before signing anything - dealers like to slip in extended warranties.
I couldn't agree and stress this more. Read EVERYTHING!

When I bought my VIII way back when, the dealer slipped in Gap Coverage, Extended Warranty and Leather & Paint Protection totalling $3,500 without me noticing because I was too excited about my purchase.

Later I re-read everything and was more pissed at myself for not paying attention. I called and had them immediately cancel and send a refund check to the lienholder.