Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 06:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by YzBrad99
Normally I have to add air every week or so to keep exactly what I need in there.
If i had to add air to my tires every week, id be looking for a nail or screw.....
Old May 6, 2008, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is free then why the heck not?
Old May 6, 2008, 07:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filling your DD with nitrogen is not going to do much for your car. The reason nitrogen is used is that the nitrogen does not fluctuate with temperature like regular air you normally put in your tire does. Aircraft run nitrogen only, not liquid nitrogen, due to the extreme temperatures they deal with on a daily basis, 36000 feet at sub zero to extreme heat when brakes are applied. Ever seen metal brakes on fire, i have, and its not pretty. Even the fire department at the airport sits back and watches. Air out of my compressor is free.
Old May 6, 2008, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

sounds good enough for me...ill get it wherever i can...
Old May 6, 2008, 07:33 PM
Evolved Member

wait! its free? where?
Old May 6, 2008, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't drive across the street for it. What if you decide to change your tire pressure? Rather than just filling at home or at the corner gas station you would have to drive to a certain shop and probably pay a few dollars...forget that nonsense. Its a gimmick to get you in to the shop; the first fill may be free, but all the others after that won't be.
Old May 6, 2008, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

I just heard it lasts a lot longer than compressed air!
Old May 6, 2008, 10:49 PM

i've heard it increases the life of the tire and rim?
Old May 6, 2008, 11:15 PM
Account Disabled

i had it in both of my 07 si's, tire pressure was always perfect, i may look into this for the evo as well
Old May 7, 2008, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

It's not a gimmick. If you track the car you would know that your tire pressure will greatly increase as your tires get hotter after each lap. More inflation gives you less grip in the corners. Nitrogen will not change pressure. It's the same reason paintball players like to use nitrogen, and not C02.

The new GTR comes from the factory with nitrogen filled tires.

- Jason
Old May 7, 2008, 05:20 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Problem is that, unless you bring a nitrogen bottle with you to the track, you're not going to be able to adjust your tire pressure without negating the benefits of nitrogen.

One thing some people in here don't see to be clear on - if you already pay attention to and maintain your tire pressure, you will see NO benefits to switching to nitrogen, other than the temperature resistance. All the claims of tires lasting longer, better ride, and better economy are assuming that you are always driving around with the incorrect tire pressure.
Old May 7, 2008, 10:47 AM
Evolved Member

Not a gimmick. F1 teams have been using it for years to reduce differernces in tire pressure from beginning to end of runs.

For daily driving? Meh...not going to notice it.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by LancerOZ
It's not a gimmick. If you track the car you would know that your tire pressure will greatly increase as your tires get hotter after each lap. More inflation gives you less grip in the corners. Nitrogen will not change pressure. It's the same reason paintball players like to use nitrogen, and not C02.

The new GTR comes from the factory with nitrogen filled tires.

- Jason
Not saying there's not advantages to nitrogen filled tires... but a couple of things on what you said aren't exactly true.

Nitrogen will change pressure, nitrogen is a gas & all gases will change pressure with varying volumes & temperature, that's 5th grade science. It may not change as drastically as typical "air," but it will change.

Also, I played A LOT of paintball. When they say "nitrogen" tanks, they're actually being filled with the same air we breath & your car tire is typically filled with... it's just regular, highly compressed (3000 psi...) air. Since air is primarily composed of nitrogen, they've just coined the term "nitrogen" tanks as opposed to Co2 tanks. But, it's just air.

The reason that we prefer the "nitrogen" tanks over the Co2 tanks is because of the liquid/air factor. Co2 tanks are filled with liquid Co2. The liquid is supposed to convert to gas before it reaches the barrel of your gun. This conversion typically causes eratic shot pressures. And, if it's cold enough outside, the liquid may not even turn to gas at all & you start shooting liquid Co2 out of your gun. This can cause your gun to completely freeze up and can turn into a liquid Co2 blaster... which is no fun.

The 'nitrogen' tanks never contain liquid, they don't have to convert from liquid to gas, so they are much more consistant. Just had to clarify.
Old May 7, 2008, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

I work at Costco in the tire center, and ALL we use to fill up all the tires we sell is nitrogen. The only real benefits of using nitrogen is as some people have already said, the nitrogen molecules are larger than conventional air molecules, which in turn means that with temperature fluctuation you are not going to loose as much air as conventional air. Incorrect air pressure is the leading cause of premature tire wear according to TIA (tire industry of america). Like someone mentioned, you will not need nitrogen if you maintain your air pressures and check them every time you fill up. This is 100% true. But how many people (that don't own sports cars) really check their air every time. I would probably say only 1/10 people do this. Most people only check air pressures when they notice a tire that is loosing air, or before a long trip. They don't even think about checking them. It is recommended to check air pressure at least once a month. With the improper inflation pressure, it will effect your speed, gas mileage, handling, and most importantly the wear patterns on the tires themselves. So pretty much I do see nitrogen as a beneficiary to those 9/10 people that hardly ever check their own air pressures.

As to the other post about mixing nitrogen and conventional air, it is okay to do so. The only thing that mixing this air will do is just add more moisture inside the tires. Most cars that do have nitrogen in them have green valve caps to designate so. Places, such as vavoline and jiffy lube will not touch tires with nitrogen in them for some reason If a shop tries to charge you to top off your air with nitrogen, DON'T pay them. We will top off your nitrogen air for free at ANY Costco Warehouse in the nation. So I guess, nitrogen has both it's benefits and down falls. It is up to you to decide if it really is worth it or not.
Old May 7, 2008, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

I worked as a tire engineer for Goodyear's racing department.

Nitrogen filled tires do not increase in pressure as much when heated up as compared to air-filled.

This is a big deal when 1psi of air in a Nextel Cup tire is worth about 50lbs of spring rate.

If you dont track your car, the only gain is your tire might not go flat as quickly if there is a leak...

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in tires