Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2008, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitrogen in tires

I got a voicemail from the dealership here in vegas offering a free change of air in my tires to Nitrogen. i know notihng about changing out the air in tires, I do know that different gases weigh different amount and that could lead to a difference in rotational mass of the wheel. However, I have no idea how Nitrogen would affect the evo.

I was going to try and look some information up myself, but thought I would ask here first. Since there are a lot more Knowledable people on these boards vs the info I myself would be able to find.

I did talk to some co-workers and they said that they had seen a segment on nitrogen gas in tires on the news recently.

edit- I posted this in the general section to reach more members. Move it plz if needed
Old May 6, 2008, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think nitrogen filled tires will make any difference in performance. From what I've heard the only difference is that the nitrogen air molecules are bigger.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

For the most part, it's a gimmick.

Nitrogen technically does weigh less, but no where near enough to effect performance.

Nitrogen has been said to "last longer" in tires requiring fewer refills. But this might only be of benefit to your grand mother, as an Evo owner should be checking their tire pressure every gas-up.

Compressed air is 78% nitrogen. Because no one regulates the nitrogen-in-your-tire-industry, you might be just getting regular compressed air.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

I think it's to reduce heat buildup. Not sure though, it just seems like a gimmick.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:37 PM
Evolved Member

I seem to recall that it doesn't change pressure as widely as atmospheric air during heavy use/heat- might also have something to do with moisture content as well.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

More stable tyre pressures is what it's for. With heat, "compressed air" molecules expand; with nitrogen, FAR less if any. Plus the fact that the molecules are larger, they seep out of tyres a lot slower.
Old May 6, 2008, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binarysleep
For the most part, it's a gimmick.

Nitrogen technically does weigh less, but no where near enough to effect performance.

Nitrogen has been said to "last longer" in tires requiring fewer refills. But this might only be of benefit to your grand mother, as an Evo owner should be checking their tire pressure every gas-up.

Compressed air is 78% nitrogen. Because no one regulates the nitrogen-in-your-tire-industry, you might be just getting regular compressed air.

Exactly. A gimmick. Air is mostly nitrogen anyway.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:15 PM
JGC
Evolving Member

If it was liquid nitrogen (like air planes on a aircraft carrier) but just air, lol.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Doesn't Nissan inject Nitrogen in the tires of the new GT-R for the Coldweather package?? Maybe they are better for the winter time with the difference in mass and expansion/deflation??
Old May 6, 2008, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Pretty much all the top level motorsports use nitrogen in the tires because it's much more stable/predictable with temperature changes. When 0.25 psi of tire pressure difference can win or lose a race, they do everything they can to maximize control of variables.
Old May 6, 2008, 04:43 PM
Evolving Member

My dealer fills the tires with nitrogen on every new car. I doubted its benefits untill I put it in my vehicles tires. I do see a slight fuel mileage increase & the ride feels smoother. Check out the link. The following web site says "It's not about nitrogen, Its about reducing oxygen and moisture."
http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php

Last edited by Mitsutech56; May 6, 2008 at 04:49 PM.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
nitrogen filled tires are less responsive for high performance driving . so the tires doesn't heat up as much as a regular air filled tires. the big problem in the racing is a tire pressure, so if you have a more stable gas in your tires that is priceless. Because in hard racing, the tire pressure can change over 12 psi in the air filled tires.

Basically no dramatic tire pressure change in the nitrogen filled tires.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The M3's come filled with nitrogen from the dealer , I was thinking of doing the same for the evo just to try it out.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

The guy that hooks me up on tires filled my brand new michelin ps2's up with nitrogen for free. He said the only differences is the the air molecules are bigger and takes way longer for air to leak out. Normally I have to add air every week or so to keep exactly what I need in there. So far for 3 months I haven't touched it at all. No effect on anything else as far as performance goes.
Old May 6, 2008, 05:39 PM
Account Disabled

Id get it!

Quick Reply: Nitrogen in tires