Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Why doesn't Mitsubishi embrace the aftermarket?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2008, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Resist the syst
You can import any vehicle to the State's
Yeah? Try bringing in an S15 from Japan, or a Mexican 1G Stratus R/T and let us know how that goes for you. I think you'll be disappointed with the results.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No need. I don't recall where I heard this stat but essentially approximately 1-2% of car owners actually mod them. With the amount of time/money it would require to warranty/service the additional items, combined with the perceived limited market - its an expenditure I doubt they are interested in.

just my guess, not fact.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

I have a tough time believing only 1-2% of Evos get modded. Considering how its a pretty niche group.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Noize
The simple answer is warranty costs.

Look at the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6 MZR. That engine is fragile and has had several catastrophic failures. POWERED BY FORD, BABY! You can bet they will not warranty those engines with mods much longer.
how about the cost of losing customers daily and being known as a company that barely stands behind anything? This EVO is my LAST evo, unless I buy an 8 for cheap and build a drag car
Old May 8, 2008, 10:28 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can import any vehicle to the State's, it's backed by a 3 year 36k warranty. Check the EVO vs. Lambo clip out on you tube, Jeremy plainly states it has a warranty.
Yes, the Euro-spec FQ series of Evos have a manufacturer warranty. But, the warranty is through Mitsu of Europe. The warranty wouldn't be honored in the US because it's not a US-spec model. To gain warranty service, you'd have to ship the car back to a dealership in Europe. The cost of the shipping would be more than fixing whatever part failed.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

Anythings possible man, I've seen 1973 Australian ford falcon XB GT's imported to the states, if you get a hold of the right person and have the money to back it, any car can be shipped to the U.S. hands down!
Old May 8, 2008, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CC16
I have a tough time believing only 1-2% of Evos get modded. Considering how its a pretty niche group.

Not evos - cars in general (of which evos make up a miniscule amount). I wish I could recall where I read/heard this but essentially 1-2% of all cars on the road end up being modded with aftermarket performance parts.

Mitsu already has a hard time honoring warranties on stock evos - I just don't think they are interested in extending that same negligence to an aftermarket wing.

Last edited by boozeup&riot; May 8, 2008 at 10:34 AM.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:35 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Noize
The simple answer is warranty costs.

Look at the Mazdaspeed 3 and 6 MZR. That engine is fragile and has had several catastrophic failures. POWERED BY FORD, BABY! You can bet they will not warranty those engines with mods much longer.
I think you're right to some extent. If they provided mods that would exceed the safe operating range of the vehicle, there would be massive warranty issues.

But, we all know Evos have been pretty darn bullet proof throughout the years when the mods have been kept simple, installed professionally and tuned properly. I'm talking intake, exhaust, tune. Even an upgraded clutch would be great. That's the type of stuff I would expect a dealership to carry and install and still keep the warranty valid. Those three mods wouldn't push the mechanical limits of the car IMHO. Especially on the X where those types of mods seem to bring out what the car should have really been from the factory.

Plus, buying Ralliart springs or coilovers from the dealership and keeping your suspensions warranty intact would be great. Would allow every owner a chance to lose the 4x4 stance and still keep their suspension warranty.

So, yes, if they pushed the limits of the modifications they offered there would certainly be issues and substantial warranty costs. But, if the mods are kept simple and safely within mechanical limits, there is a huge business opportunity for Mitsu dealers to make some money off parts/accessories and for Mitsu to build some loyalty with one of the most passionate groups of car enthusiasts in the industry.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Agreed!
Old May 8, 2008, 10:54 AM

Is Buschur still building evo's sold through Medina Mitsu? Like the BR300 & BR350, or was that only the 8's.
Old May 8, 2008, 10:55 AM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by funevo
Is Buschur still building evo's sold through Medina Mitsu? Like the BR300 & BR350, or was that only the 8's.
Good question. Don't know. Did the BR300 and BR350 have a warranty though?
Old May 8, 2008, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Anythings possible man, I've seen 1973 Australian ford falcon XB GT's imported to the states, if you get a hold of the right person and have the money to back it, any car can be shipped to the U.S. hands down!
Incorrect, a car that old is much easier as it doesn't have to follow up to date emissions and crash testing. Try to import any 90's car that wasn't sold here and it's a pain in the ***.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thats funny you think it's easy to import the XB GT as there was a limited run of those cars, think (Mad Max/Road Warrior). I got a little off topic, but yeah go one guys lol.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Point still stands, if you have a falcon you can get it here without an issue, and you will not be able to bring an s15 or r34 here without major hassle.
Old May 8, 2008, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by adambl03
Yes, the Euro-spec FQ series of Evos have a manufacturer warranty. But, the warranty is through Mitsu of Europe. The warranty wouldn't be honored in the US because it's not a US-spec model.
Originally Posted by pwrofturbo
Try to import any 90's car that wasn't sold here and it's a pain in the ***.
Correct, and correct.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't Mitsubishi embrace the aftermarket?