Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Buschur Racing Evo X.... My first time driving it and my thoughts

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2008, 06:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Buschur Racing Evo X.... My first time driving it and my thoughts

This weekend as some of you know David, Myself and a few others packed up and headed to the Winged Warrior event in Indianapolis.

David was driving the truck & trailer with a car in it that we had to deliver to a customer while we were there and we needed the X at the event to compete so I volunteered to drive it there. My best friend Mike and I packed up and hit the road to Indy.

As discussed in some threads on here and even over the phone I have talked to people and gave my opinion on the X. From day one up until friday morning it did not change. It was the same opinion which was..... It truly is a nice car, has a higher class feeling/appealing to it but just doesnt have the "race ready" feeling that the 8 and 9 do that I love. Has creature comforts a "performance" car doesnt NEED. Also the 4B11T hasnt been proven to be superior to the 4G63. It just seemed like it would be another comfy sedan with a little more go.

As of Friday morning I had not spent more than 5min in the car and that was just for a exhaust sound clip video. I wasnt too impressed then to be honest. It wasnt BAD but just not what I expected.

Fast forward 60 hours after I spent 728 miles in the car.

First impression as soon as I got in the drivers seat friday morning was that the seats seem like they will kind of suck for long trips. A little hug to them and gave more of a "race" feeling. I was wrong. They were quite comfortable actually once you got used to them.

The "creature comforts" are a welcome addition. I have to admit. Cruise control in the Evo I never thought I would say it but it kicks ***. It makes the road trip much more enjoyable being able to stretch a bit and keeps you from speeding (well not as much anyway) . Drivers station with outside temp, mpg, etc... is pretty sweet.

I love how the gauges and inside look at night.

There really arent any blind spots in the car.

Factory stereo sounds good.

Cabin noise is actually kept to a nice minimum with the windows up. Very little road noise, wind, etc... that was nice.

Power.....The last time I was in the car was when it ONLY had our prototype catback on it. I have to admit I was quite impressed on how well the car pulls and feels for the few mods that are done to it now. Now it has our FMIC, intake, upper & lower IC pipes, catback, ORP, shifter bushings, RobiSPEC KW coilovers and flash.

I did a little ripping on the road, hit some curves & corners, etc.. and I must say its pretty damn fun to drive. I think David was right in saying I would really like the thing if I could get out somewhere and really get on it.

My opinion now on the X after a weekend with it.....

1. I was right in the beginning with saying the X falls into a different category than the 8 or 9 but I feel its a category that fits the car well. It is an "upscale" Evo. Not a bad thing. Just a bit of change.

2. The creature comforts are a welcome addition if you're actually going to be traveling with the car.

3. The factory turbo is still fun to rip around on.

4. Gets pretty good fuel mileage for a performance sedan. It was right in the 26 mpg range.

5. Fits 4 people comfortably.

6. Minimum in cabin noise is nice. Even with the addition of our exhaust you could still listen to the radio at a normal level and have a normal tone conversation with EASE with the windows up or down.

7. Its a fun car to drive with some upgrades done to it. It was actually REALLY enjoyable being able to drive a car that was lightly modified with no lag and a nice suspension under it.

8. People give it weird / amazed looks when you pass by them like "WHAT THE HECK IS THAT!"

I can honestly say I like the X. This weekend totally changed my outlook on the car. I still like the 8/9 more but I have a new found respect for the X and how the changes are welcomed to the redesign. The 8/9 and X are in 2 different categories in my opinion. Both have their perks. You just have to decide which one suits you better.

Just a note. I stopped at a store in Columbus on my way home and walked out to find a guy standing around the car and as I walked up to it he began to tell me Nice car, he had a stock '04 STi and that he hates me not because I was driving an X but only because of the seats that are in it. He told me the seats in his Subi suck but he loves the X seats but thats all. I was just thinking to myself "Well just wait until you mod it then see the other reasons why you hate me."

Also a big thanks to David for letting me drive the car. Thanks buddy!

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Jrod@Buschur; May 12, 2008 at 07:27 AM.
Old May 11, 2008, 06:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very elaborate review! I can't wait for my Evo MR =(
Old May 11, 2008, 06:08 PM
Evolved Member

Sounds cool, glad to see you are comin around! Haha

Wait til you drive it on a roadcourse, then tell me if you like the 8/9's more

Ryan
Old May 11, 2008, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I can understand what you are saying.I guess that I must be getting old because the new creature comforts on the X really appeal to me. We have some land that is about three hours away from where I and we are out there a lot. I cannot tell you how many times I wished I had cruise, call me a little b!tch but it pissed me off.

Anyway nice review and I would like to see what your little suprise is, hopefully it is a couple of Hooters girls bent over the hood!
Old May 11, 2008, 06:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
A good honest opinion. I like the front end of the X, the rear IM still trying to get use to. I'd love an opportunity to tak a spin in one Im all for the cruise control
Old May 11, 2008, 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

very nice review glad to see BR is behind the X
Old May 11, 2008, 06:28 PM
Evolving Member

Good write up Jarrod. I'm sure there are alot of other people that would change their mind if they would give the car a chance.
Old May 12, 2008, 12:19 AM
Former Sponsor

I told you DON'T DRIVE ONE! lol
Old May 12, 2008, 01:49 AM

Originally Posted by Knightracer
Good write up Jarrod. I'm sure there are alot of other people that would change their mind if they would give the car a chance.
Thats exactly what I think too. And if that 750 torque figure on the SST tranny I found and posted today on a thread in general is true, even more people will want an evo X. The SST saves you up to 15 percent on gas miliage btw. You can use that buck fifty you save out of every ten to upgrade :]. If he averaged 26 mpg and he has the 5 speed, then the MR should average 28 or 29. Not bad for the performance he already instilled in it. Good review.
Old May 12, 2008, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

Good review!
Old May 12, 2008, 06:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by robi
I told you DON'T DRIVE ONE! lol
I know I know but.... it wouldn't be any fun if I actually did listen would it?
Old May 12, 2008, 07:17 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I was one of the "people on the phone" that got some of the opinions of big bad Jrod.

My love for the X was a slow burn as well. The power is now right where my IX was, but the extra weight offsets that. The things I like best are the SAYC, chassis, and handling. Having had and VIII, IX, and now this one, I can say the X is my favorite.

Autocross that car, Jarrod. It will never be what an VIII/IX is in a straight line or at the strip, but it has the guts to be a much better track star.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jrod@Buschur
I was just thinking to myself "Well just wait until you mod it then see the other reasons why you hate me."

Thanks for reading.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Noize
I was one of the "people on the phone" that got some of the opinions of big bad Jrod.
You're a crackhead Seth. lol

You better watch it our i'll huff & puff and blow your house down.
Old May 12, 2008, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The car grows on me the more I drive it too. Glad we see eye-to-eye on that. Non problem letting you drive it, it's good to have someone responsible driving a car, leaves no worries about it being torn up.

The car was very good on the autocross course this weekend and with me driving it actually ran it's best 1/4 mile time to date, a 12.61 and 12.62. Pretty proud of myself, I thought I had lost it.

Quick Reply: Buschur Racing Evo X.... My first time driving it and my thoughts