Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 10:41 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good god look at the 4th gear "rolling times". Serious X gearing.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Dear god evo drivers are touchy and insecure people. So the STI was chosen as the favorite in a review, so what? In the past several reviews have chosen the STI as their favorite despite the evo being faster/more raw, it boils down to personal preference, driving habits and what people value/are able to live with. I love how everyone on blows a fit when the STI wins while everyone on NASIOC blows a fit when the evo wins, the two vehicles are so similar I can't believe how much the two sides hate each and how ridiculous the arguments become (like grand conspiracy theories).
This not about being touchy or anything. It is just the fact that out some of things that where written in the article make no sense. Some other show obvious bias when going over the features of the cars, emphasizing good feature of only one car and downplaying (or even forgetting to mention) the good features of the other one.

Fedja
Old May 13, 2008, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Originally Posted by MrAWD
This not about being touchy or anything. It is just the fact that out some of things that where written in the article make no sense. Some other show obvious bias when going over the features of the cars, emphasizing good feature of only one car and downplaying (or even forgetting to mention) the good features of the other one.

Fedja
It's based upon opinion, ie. what features one person feels are important or not important. Subaru guys complain about the same thing when reviews don't go in their favour.
Old May 13, 2008, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Have you guys noticed that STI is much cheaper than FQ300? It was a good write up. I can see why someone would prefer STI over EVO.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
It's based upon opinion, ie. what features one person feels are important or not important. Subaru guys complain about the same thing when reviews don't go in their favour.
This has nothing to do between Subaru and Mitsubishi (at least from my end)! I like both cars and could see my self driving either one of them since they are both pretty darn good! I have much more experience with the Mitsubishi and I like their drivetrain better then the Subaru's, so my preference is still on EVO. But, if one could get a GTR for $40k, I know where my money would go!!

Ok, that aside, what didn't make sense in the article is the way they expressed them selves in there. It was obvious that both cars where not looked from the same angle. When they where going down through the characteristics of both cars first one went down straight without anything negative. The second car started mixing negative things right after the start, which is the pointer right there for biased opinion.

Then, everything they had to say good about the one car was said, but for the other car lot of good things where omitted, even though the reader could see them in the tables that where aside. If one car ended up faster on the track that is something that should be shown. But, only results that where shown in the article are the ones where only one car is ahead. Results where the other car was ahead where simply not mentioned in the article!! And, don't tell me that 0-60 mph is more important test then the time around the track!!

As you can see, I didn't even want to use names for the cars ahead, just because it didn't matter. I would say the same thing if things where reversed and Subaru was better in most test and they claimed EVO as a better car. So, if you are about the write about the cars then be steady with the numbers that are collected during the testing and show them the way they are! If they want to express their own opinion after that they should do it and they are always welcome. At teh end this is what writing about the cars in the magazines is all about. But, don't be impartial when presenting the facts!!

Fedja
Old May 13, 2008, 12:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wrceuro
Thats BS. The mags. are helping out Subaru because if they don't sell the STI the company with lose big time. As far as the STI winning that is complete BS. Don't buy into it. Every other magazine picked the EVO X by a big margin.
How do you figure, they end with saying they would rather have a IX over both cars.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by wrceuro
Thats BS. The mags. are helping out Subaru because if they don't sell the STI the company with lose big time. As far as the STI winning that is complete BS. Don't buy into it. Every other magazine picked the EVO X by a big margin.

^^this is so true! the STI is not selling a lot and i know over here i live in canada i have not see one yet on the street.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

This has nothing to do between Subaru and Mitsubishi (at least from my end)! I like both cars and could see my self driving either one of them since they are both pretty darn good! I have much more experience with the Mitsubishi and I like their drivetrain better then the Subaru's, so my preference is still on EVO. But, if one could get a GTR for $40k, I know where my money would go!!

Ok, that aside, what didn't make sense in the article is the way they expressed them selves in there. It was obvious that both cars where not looked from the same angle. When they where going down through the characteristics of both cars first one went down straight without anything negative. The second car started mixing negative things right after the start, which is the pointer right there for biased opinion.

Then, everything they had to say good about the one car was said, but for the other car lot of good things where omitted, even though the reader could see them in the tables that where aside. If one car ended up faster on the track that is something that should be shown. But, only results that where shown in the article are the ones where only one car is ahead. Results where the other car was ahead where simply not mentioned in the article!! And, don't tell me that 0-60 mph is more important test then the time around the track!!

As you can see, I didn't even want to use names for the cars ahead, just because it didn't matter. I would say the same thing if things where reversed and Subaru was better in most test and they claimed EVO as a better car. So, if you are about the write about the cars then be steady with the numbers that are collected during the testing and show them the way they are! If they want to express their own opinion after that they should do it and they are always welcome. At teh end this is what writing about the cars in the magazines is all about. But, don't be impartial when presenting the facts!!

Fedja
Exactly.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Fedja
I don't see how talking about one car in a good light and another in bad light makes for a biased opinion if that is what the reviewer truly felt. If there were good things to be said about the evo, they would have been said (and they were). The reviewer presented the facts for people to see (including performance numbers) but then gave their own take on how the numbers actually affected real world feel.
Old May 13, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Dear god evo drivers are touchy and insecure people. So the STI was chosen as the favorite in a review, so what? In the past several reviews have chosen the STI as their favorite despite the evo being faster/more raw, it boils down to personal preference, driving habits and what people value/are able to live with. I love how everyone on blows a fit when the STI wins while everyone on NASIOC blows a fit when the evo wins, the two vehicles are so similar I can't believe how much the two sides hate each and how ridiculous the arguments become (like grand conspiracy theories).

Ha, pretty much no way to deney that. They do sell both to the same demographic.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

lol id rather have a IX over either of them also...... oh wait i already do lol.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
same-old same-old...the evo performs better on-track but the sti is "more fun" lol. again they are grasping at straws. and starting off by excusing the extreme ugliness of the sti...huh? it's butt ugly...and no amount of writing about it can make it look better. the main thing i noticed is that the point of these cars is to tear up the track, and in this article the track performance is a mere side note. so...take this article with a grain of salt...then burn the pages...because it's rubbish...
Old May 13, 2008, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well considering that 90% of drivers will never actually see the track, I think it's far more relevant to the average consumer than an article talking about turn-in, off throttle behaviour, brake fade, etc. If people are happy with what they drive, great, but there's no reason to cry when someone else disagrees with you.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

This must be a British magazine. For some reason, the British always favors the WRX over the Evo. Even in Top Gear, they said that the Evo is a faster car. But if they were to pick one to own, they would pick the WRX.

I'm guessing it's because Subaru is link to Prodrive and Prodrive is own by Dave Richard.

But this is just my speculation though.
Old May 13, 2008, 01:24 PM

If you read EVO, go to a previous issue and look in the Knowledge. They picked this car as their choice for Sport Sedan before driving it on UK roads. Bias? I think not. They like the Subies because they are more multi-dimensional vehicles, where as the Evolution is more of a track car/ single-purpose.

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!