Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lol, big deal, the writer is probably friends with Tiff Needle or something. I was a little confused by the red sidebar calling the FQ400 laggy and slower than a standard Evo when Top Gear has gotten it to out run a Lambo around their test track.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Even Top Gear said that the FQ400 was laggy and Clarkson at the end indicated he would buy a normal evo since it's just as much fun but without any of the problems.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Well considering that 90% of drivers will never actually see the track, I think it's far more relevant to the average consumer than an article talking about turn-in, off throttle behaviour, brake fade, etc. If people are happy with what they drive, great, but there's no reason to cry when someone else disagrees with you.
If that would be true then most people wouldn't buy EVOs in the first place next to the much better daily drivers that are more comfortable, make better gas mileage, and still fun to drive! I believe that most of the guys do buy EVOs and STIs for this matter just because they are great race car ad do great at the track!

Fedja
Old May 13, 2008, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So Edmunds, Road and Track, car and driver and I think a couple more had completely different opinions. I think that one think missed here is that they looked at the MR only. THe GSR was faster than the MR on the drag strip and not far behind on the track and has more of the "raw" feeling that people seemed to miss. that said, having raced cars, you take the faster car peiord.

For DD, I slected the X because it was civil enough that my wife would not hate it but did not make me feel like I was in an SUV.

I also like the fact that with very little work the EVO X has 300whp and wtq.

Finally, I took a long time to make a purchase this time and I have seen both up close and there is no way the STi is more aggressive looking...up close or from the moon.

It looks faster, it drives faster...if I want luxery inside I can drive my wife's legacy that is still quite quick..
Old May 13, 2008, 02:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MrAWD
If that would be true then most people wouldn't buy EVOs in the first place next to the much better daily drivers that are more comfortable, make better gas mileage, and still fun to drive! I believe that most of the guys do buy EVOs and STIs for this matter just because they are great race car ad do great at the track!

Fedja

OT but your avitar makes me miss my '95 GSX.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by DylanPS
If you read EVO, go to a previous issue and look in the Knowledge. They picked this car as their choice for Sport Sedan before driving it on UK roads. Bias? I think not. They like the Subies because they are more multi-dimensional vehicles, where as the Evolution is more of a track car/ single-purpose.

You mean was more of a track car single purpose. We are talking about the X here not an 8 or 9. I drove one yesterday btw. Its just as good for the street as any car now IMHO.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:40 PM
Evolving Member

Not listening to a guy named "jethro", sorry not gonna happen

Not that any magazine is better than another but this is the first of how many that the Sti has beat the X ? Prolly just writing the article to get some airtime.
Old May 13, 2008, 02:43 PM

I still feel like the X is more dedicated to the track and Sti to the road, but you've driven then, so you'd know. I haven't. Thanks for responding
Old May 13, 2008, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

The X lost in a subjective test... A. not a big deal and B. be content that the IX is still the best out there. Aside from that, EVO is the best automotive publication out there
Old May 13, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by jimm
OT but your avitar makes me miss my '95 GSX.
You wana swap??

Only 253k miles on it!!

Fedja
Old May 13, 2008, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just think it's funny that he says the stering is disconnected feeling. The car doesn't bump steer like the old model and feels more stable, so if that means that it is disconnected than so be it. Every magazine has commented on the feeling of confidence that the X gives you. The grip is predictable and the steering direct. There is always a sure feeling of traction in the car, and the balance and chassis is better than almost any car ever made.

I know of no other car ever made that can be sideways smoking the tires and yet not feel unbalanced or out of shape. This article was crap not because he gave the nod to the sti (although that is crap as well) but because of the absurd opinions of the handling of the car. No offense to the evo 9 guys, but this guy was an evo 9 fanboy who didn't want to like the X. He needs to learn how to write an objective and unbiased article and take his preferences out of the equation. Also he should have been on the tarmac setting for the track and not gravel. What an idiot.

There's a reason that every single magazine has raved about the unbelieveable handling and feel of the car. The same "feel" that this guy didn't like. As someone else mentioned above, this is one guys opinion and it doesn't hold any water. Who are you going to trust... road and track, motor trend, edmunds, automobile magazine, top gear, car and driver, or this idiot? I have spoken.

Last edited by STi2EvoX; May 13, 2008 at 03:38 PM.
Old May 13, 2008, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts

Fedja
I disagree, people buy cars like the STI and the evo because they're fine to drive in a lot of conditions including on the street. I suspect that as far as a percentage is concerned, very few STI or evo drivers actually track their cars in anything other than casual conditions. It's no different than corvette or viper owners, I doubt most actually use all the power their cars make, they're perfectly just cruising around town.
Old May 13, 2008, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

n/m

Last edited by desperado-c; May 14, 2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old May 13, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

You wana swap??

Only 253k miles on it!!

Fedja
Probably don't miss it that much!..I had some really good times in that car. It was a great ride...Fast, dependable...great car. If only they could "live" forever.
Old May 13, 2008, 10:36 PM
Evolving Member

Crap review!

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!