Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2008 | 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

All I care about is top gear.
Old May 13, 2008 | 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cas909
wow. thats the first article ive read that the evo loses to the sti. notice though, how they would rather have a ix over either of them!!!!
Most definitely
Old May 14, 2008 | 07:09 AM
Evolving Member

Last time I checked Mitsubishi supplies Subaru with their turbos along with many other automakers, so I guess Mitsubishi wins either way. I do believe their one of the largest manufacturer's of turbos!
Old May 14, 2008 | 08:36 AM

Yeah sounds like he had a bad taste for the evo x from the beginning. Everyone is entitled to their opinion though. I read these reviews but I'd never choose a car over another based on a review.

Opinions factor into even the most unbiased reviews. What some may like others may hate.
Old May 14, 2008 | 08:42 AM
Evolved Member

all reviews are honest, accurate and nonbiased
Old May 14, 2008 | 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blk-majik
lol, game trailers is garbage.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Here is how you have to look at this review/comparison:

Every reviewer has their own set of of biases (not car specific) as to what is important in a particular car. Its quite clear in this article the reviewer is a die hard for manual transmissions and therefore should have been testing a GSR. The STI is a good car and the numbers seem accurate for the most part, but if you can get past the SST transmission, then the added cost is a waste and in this case was also a deciding factor. One thing the cannot argue with is the handling dynamic of the evo vs the STI. Anyone that says the STI is more engaging(handling wise), responsive, or has better steering feel is hallucinating. But that said, this was simply a bad match up considering the reviewer's preferences. Would be much more interesting to have a manual and therefore lower cost evo in this article as well
Old May 14, 2008 | 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

Good thing the IX is better than both of them.
Old May 14, 2008 | 09:20 PM
Evolved Member

^Yawn... sure, whatever makes you feel better.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:00 PM
Evolving Member

IMO, new STi and new Evolution are junk. Period.

This Evo vs. STi thing has always been gay, basicly like two grown men swordfighting with each other. Fact of the matter is that Mitsubishi has definetly lost it's edge in the last decade, and withdrawing from the WRC a few years back seemed to be one of the final nails in the coffin. The X is the dirt that covered the grave.

The Evolution IX and the last generation STi were both awesome cars. Looks of both are great, and performance is awesome for both. However, if it came down to my money and I'd have to buy either of them used, I'd be getting a used 06-07 STi. Bolt ons will yeild you similar power results, but you can't beat that sound, nor can the Evolution compare to the fit and finish of the STi. Interior is way nicer, and the blue suede is teh secks.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TalonTuner4G63

This Evo vs. STi thing has always been gay, basicly like two grown men swordfighting with each other. Fact of the matter is that Mitsubishi has definetly lost it's edge in the last decade, and withdrawing from the WRC a few years back seemed to be one of the final nails in the coffin. The X is the dirt that covered the grave.

The Evolution IX and the last generation STi were both awesome cars. Looks of both are great, and performance is awesome for both. However, if it came down to my money and I'd have to buy either of them used, I'd be getting a used 06-07 STi. Bolt ons will yeild you similar power results, but you can't beat that sound, nor can the Evolution compare to the fit and finish of the STi. Interior is way nicer, and the blue suede is teh secks.
Opinions are great. They are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink. To me all you did was prove how little you know about the X. How is the X garbage and slower than the last ones when it puts down skid #s better than the last models all with a more refined and quality ride? Mitsubishi doesn't sit down to build a drag race car here lets not forget.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by love9sick
Opinions are great. They are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they all stink
Agreed. However, half of the content on these forums are pure opinion. And half of the "facts" are wrong.

To me all you did was prove how little you know about the X.
Right. You own one, therefore, you = most knowlegable by default? Grow up. This isn't a pissing contest, the thread is about a review of two cars in a magazine. ANY magazine, ANY editor is going to be biased. Most magazine reviews are absolute garbage anyhow, and honestly no review on these cars are going to mean anything anyhow, they have not been on the market enough to give anybody enough insight into things like long term reliability and performance, not to mention the powerplant is too new to rant and rave about. Time will tell if the 4B11 can withstand half of the power the 4G63 has made, but untill then, everything is speculation. One thing can be said for certain, at least we know that the new STi's EJ25 engine is a tried and true engine and people have made power on it for a good while now.

How is the X garbage and slower than the last ones when it puts down skid #s better than the last models all with a more refined and quality ride? Mitsubishi doesn't sit down to build a drag race car here lets not forget.
Are you serious? I'm sure that is the kind of BS that Mitsubishi spewed when releasing the 3g Eclipse. "More refined and quality ride" they say, which somehow is supposed to convince me that this car is NOT a turd. I'm being realistic here, and your giving me brochure quotes. I'm not expecting them to give me a drag car, just somthing that is honestly worth the almost 40k they are asking for them.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TheBlueBlur
Good thing the IX is better than both of them.
Don't say that, the "Evolution" X guys will be upset!
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Agreed. However, half of the content on these forums are pure opinion. And half of the "facts" are wrong.

Right. You own one, therefore, you = most knowlegable by default? Grow up. This isn't a pissing contest, the thread is about a review of two cars in a magazine. ANY magazine, ANY editor is going to be biased. Most magazine reviews are absolute garbage anyhow, and honestly no review on these cars are going to mean anything anyhow, they have not been on the market enough to give anybody enough insight into things like long term reliability and performance, not to mention the powerplant is too new to rant and rave about. Time will tell if the 4B11 can withstand half of the power the 4G63 has made, but untill then, everything is speculation. One thing can be said for certain, at least we know that the new STi's EJ25 engine is a tried and true engine and people have made power on it for a good while now.

Are you serious? I'm sure that is the kind of BS that Mitsubishi spewed when releasing the 3g Eclipse. "More refined and quality ride" they say, which somehow is supposed to convince me that this car is NOT a turd. I'm being realistic here, and your giving me brochure quotes. I'm not expecting them to give me a drag car, just somthing that is honestly worth the almost 40k they are asking for them.
They are not 40k cars. They are about the same price as the last evos if you get them with the same junk equipment the last ones came with. That said, I am not quoting brochures or anything like that. I never said that I know anything more about the car simply because I own it either. The car has been tested and performs on a circuit track better than the 8 and 9...that is a fact. I never said anything about engine's potential compared to the 4G63 (like i said though, it isn't a drag car). You seem to have pulled more out of my quote than anything. It also doesn't bother me that one reviewer thinks that the new STI is better...good for him. This car just came out and is only now proving itself, to early to call it junk. You are welcome to though if you want....don't assume I care..that would be a low blow.

Last edited by love9sick; May 14, 2008 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 14, 2008 | 10:49 PM
Evolved Member

I owned a 95 GSX which is basically the same car you drive and can tell you the X is better. In some ways so was my 01 Eclipse GT.. I test drove an 07 STi (a new one, they are around if you now where to look) and I like the X much better...I HATED the blue/black seats..and the car looked like a riced up version of the 90's Neon my wife had with a hood scoop. Seriously it was a good car but the X is a more complete car.

Quick Reply: STI wins a comparo against the Evo X?!